U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And: both of you are also inferring that racism between American Blacks and Whites is breaking down because we are all under siege for the reasons that you ladies so eloquently stated.
The barriers continue to come down with rapid speed. The common factor of the majority of our citizens that transcends all races, and ethnicities is that we love America and when it comes to doing battle we will band together to do whatever it takes to defend it.

 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
. My tax money is for poor Americans. Every Country has problems, their problems. The US cannot continue to be the mother Theresa of the planet caring for every impoverished, broke foreigner or we will become the place these people have left.

.
This seems to be the HARDEST lesson to get across, for some reason...you leave "home"....presumably because "home" is a tough, harsh, unfair, poor place, and you can't seem to 'make it' in that environment.

You come here, and your heart is back "home". You want to ACT like you did back home, LIVE the way you lived back home, cling to the CULTURE of back home, live among the PEOPLE from back home, and in every way, continue with "life as usual back home"....and you have LITTLE interest in adopting the ways, or the culture, or the 'methods', of the locals HERE.

Then you wonder why you can't "make it" here. Why SHOULD you? MANY of your problems, I'd guess, are because you've done your best to duplicate the life you had BACK HOME....and that was BAD...REMEMBER? You had to LEAVE...it wasn't a 'prosperous' place....It was a HARD LIFE.

So you want to re-create it HERE....right? (Yes, yes..I know...you can "have it all"..live JUST LIKE you did back home, and become prosperous JUST LIKE the locals here are.....riiiiight)

Makes sense to me.

Want to share in the prosperity here? Try adopting the local lifestyle, as a start....

(Some immigrants do exactly that, I realize....but they aren't the ones complaining about 'not making it')
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The barriers continue to come down with rapid speed. The common factor of the majority of our citizens that transcends all races, and ethnicities is that we love America and when it comes to doing battle we will band together to do whatever it takes to defend it.
I couldn't agree more!
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This seems to be the HARDEST lesson to get across, for some reason...you leave "home"....presumably because "home" is a tough, harsh, unfair, poor place, and you can't seem to 'make it' in that environment.

You come here, and your heart is back "home". You want to ACT like you did back home, LIVE the way you lived back home, cling to the CULTURE of back home, live among the PEOPLE from back home, and in every way, continue with "life as usual back home"....and you have LITTLE interest in adopting the ways, or the culture, or the 'methods', of the locals HERE.

Then you wonder why you can't "make it" here. Why SHOULD you? MANY of your problems, I'd guess, are because you've done your best to duplicate the life you had BACK HOME....and that was BAD...REMEMBER? You had to LEAVE...it wasn't a 'prosperous' place....It was a HARD LIFE.

So you want to re-create it HERE....right? (Yes, yes..I know...you can "have it all"..live JUST LIKE you did back home, and become prosperous JUST LIKE the locals here are.....riiiiight)

Makes sense to me.

Want to share in the prosperity here? Try adopting the local lifestyle, as a start....

(Some immigrants do exactly that, I realize....but they aren't the ones complaining about 'not making it')
It makes sense to anyone with common sense. Unfortunately, common sense is not so common anymore.
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I couldn't agree more!
If I were an illegal alien in America, right about now, I'd would be considering my options as I packed to head home.
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
If I were an illegal alien in America, right about now, I'd would be considering my options as I packed to head home.
Their arrogance and delusional hopes for amnesty will keep them here, until they finally realize the party’s over.
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Their arrogance and delusional hopes for amnesty will keep them here, until they finally realize the party’s over.
Speaking of arrogance and delusions of grandeur:



Quote:
STOP the Government's WAR on Immigrants!

While we face the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, our government is handing cash to bankers at home and pouring our tax dollars -- a trillion-plus and counting -- into foreign wars that murder, maim and violate people's right to decide their own future.

The reality is that there is no "good" war – in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan or Iran. Our arms to Israel make their war OUR war, as well.

Decades of U.S. policies have imposed unequal trade agreements on immigrants' home countries that destroy local economies -- forcing people to move here to seek the living wages they can no longer earn at home. The new administration has continued Bush regime policy toward immigrant workers, and is using the economic meltdown as a tool to recruit more immigrant, minority, and poor youth to fight rich men's wars for oil and power.

Please join us for a united Chicagoland protest to oppose continuing U.S. wars abroad and war on immigrants at home:

Saturday, March 14, 2009
12 noon SHARP: assemble for a short rally
Marshall Boulevard & Cermak Road
(2 blocks from the "California" stop on the Pink Line "el")
And join us again the following weekend, March 21, in Washington, DC to march on the Pentagon![/SIZE][/LEFT]
The March 14, 2009 Chicago Actions protesting the occupations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine and the war on immigrants.
If only ICE would be there to greet them with hundreds of empty buses and proceed to ask for identification.
 
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note to the one:

Octomom is indeed an Anglo-------her heritage is Lithuanian and Iraqi (Arab).
Who cares?
 
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Our entire system is flawed. We are not completely screwed, but we need to change a lot of things. First thing...we need to get over the idea that America is the best nation ever. It's not. Nor is any other country. There is no such thing. Secondly...we need to rationally look at what is wrong. Thirdly, we need to see how to fix problems without harming the lives of all people who live here.

Most of it is because we do treat our poorer citizens as less than human. If we have an incentive for green manufacturing to be done at home...that creates high paying jobs (reduction of unemployment and poverty). Tell teens no glove no love...instead of this abstain till marriage (who does that? not too many people)...maybe that'll reduce teen pregnancy. Put money in poor hospital districts. Inmate population is primarily Black. Why? Well, our unfair stupid drug laws, our racial profiling, our not spending money in the inner city, and our reliance on unsustainable manufacturing as well as outsourcing. Bad test scores...better pay for teachers (more of an incentive), more after school programs that put an emphasis on peer tutoring, more IB/AP classes, less emphasis on tests and standards (this actually takes away from classroom instruction) and more after school programs.

We can provide for the illegal immigrants that live here. They are already here. We can at least give them basic education and their kids a fighting chance.

As for the home thing...I'm going out on a limb and assume that you people, for the most part, are not immigrants. You can have more than one home. My mom loves the idea of Ivory Coast. But, it was torn by civil war. She still watches African movies, speaks French, and cooks traditional African food. All in suburban California. To her, as most immigrants there is always a part of you that will remain. However, you live in the present. Why is it so hard to understand? It's like when Americans travel abroad and eat at a McDonalds. It's the same concept.

Amnesty may be the key along with securing our border. I really don't know...I do know that deportation or denying people education and health services is not a good idea. There is a serious issue, but rather than use flags and fear (like the previous adminstration) let's use our minds.
 
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 AM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,323,366 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Our entire system is flawed. We are not completely screwed, but we need to change a lot of things. First thing...we need to get over the idea that America is the best nation ever. It's not. Nor is any other country. There is no such thing. Secondly...we need to rationally look at what is wrong. Thirdly, we need to see how to fix problems without harming the lives of all people who live here.

Most of it is because we do treat our poorer citizens as less than human. If we have an incentive for green manufacturing to be done at home...that creates high paying jobs (reduction of unemployment and poverty). Tell teens no glove no love...instead of this abstain till marriage (who does that? not too many people)...maybe that'll reduce teen pregnancy. Put money in poor hospital districts. Inmate population is primarily Black. Why? Well, our unfair stupid drug laws, our racial profiling, our not spending money in the inner city, and our reliance on unsustainable manufacturing as well as outsourcing. Bad test scores...better pay for teachers (more of an incentive), more after school programs that put an emphasis on peer tutoring, more IB/AP classes, less emphasis on tests and standards (this actually takes away from classroom instruction) and more after school programs.

We can provide for the illegal immigrants that live here. They are already here. We can at least give them basic education and their kids a fighting chance.

As for the home thing...I'm going out on a limb and assume that you people, for the most part, are not immigrants. You can have more than one home. My mom loves the idea of Ivory Coast. But, it was torn by civil war. She still watches African movies, speaks French, and cooks traditional African food. All in suburban California. To her, as most immigrants there is always a part of you that will remain. However, you live in the present. Why is it so hard to understand? It's like when Americans travel abroad and eat at a McDonalds. It's the same concept.

Amnesty may be the key along with securing our border. I really don't know...I do know that deportation or denying people education and health services is not a good idea. There is a serious issue, but rather than use flags and fear (like the previous adminstration) let's use our minds.
They ain't hearing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top