Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 AM

18,115 posts, read 25,251,428 times

Advertisements

My opinion is pretty simple:
If there are american companies making money in Mexico,
then it's fine for mexicans to come to the US and make money.

Don't want mexicans in the US,
get all american companies out of Mexico.

The New York Times - Factories on the border cost American jobs (Dec. 1987)
Business Week: Factories Go South, so does pay (April 2007)
NumbersUSA - US farmers move business to Mexico in search of cheap labor (may 2008)

Old 03-14-2009, 07:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,109,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My opinion is pretty simple:
If there are american companies making money in Mexico,
then it's fine for mexicans to come to the US and make money.

Don't want mexicans in the US,
get all american companies out of Mexico.

The New York Times - Factories on the border cost American jobs (Dec. 1987)
Business Week: Factories Go South, so does pay (April 2007)
NumbersUSA - US farmers move business to Mexico in search of cheap labor (may 2008)
Apples and oranges here:

Said US companies are in Mexico legally. If Mx is so upset over us Gringos being in their nation: simply tell us to leave--------------problem solved.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,550,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
We can provide for the illegal immigrants that live here. They are already here. We can at least give them basic education and their kids a fighting chance.

Amnesty may be the key along with securing our border. I really don't know...I do know that deportation or denying people education and health services is not a good idea. There is a serious issue, but rather than use flags and fear (like the previous adminstration) let's use our minds.
I really don’t know how much more accommodating we can be. The children of illegal aliens are already receiving a ‘free’ tax-funded K-12 education; of which, sadly, the majority has shown scant appreciation. Whose fault is it that a high percentage of these children fail to graduate from high school, or routinely become teen parents? We provide them with ESL classes and free breakfast/lunch, while our own children suffer due to overcrowding and having resources diverted to children who are here illegally. How many other countries do you think would be so accommodating? As the old adage states: “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” They have been generously afforded the opportunity for an education. If they choose not to avail themselves, they certainly can’t blame us.

We are also NOT denying them medical services. I don’t know where you are getting your information, but if not for the exorbitant costs associated with providing illegal aliens ‘free’ prenatal/postnatal, WIC, ER, interpreters, etc., many of our bankrupt hospitals would still be serving our communities.

Surely you must realize another amnesty will not solve our illegal immigration problem. If anything, it will serve to encourage others to follow suit. It’s absolutely mind-boggling that there are so many people who believe our government will magically enforce our immigration laws after failing so miserably for years. You do realize we were promised the 1986 Amnesty would be the FINAL amnesty, don’t you? Do you also realize our government promised to stringently enforce our laws to prevent future illegal immigration? Did they honor their promises? Of course not! Tell me, what do you think has changed? Why should we have faith in a government that has proven time and again to be so unworthy of our confidence?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,964,543 times
Great response. Positive rep to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberto View Post
Hi there,

I myself am of Hispanic origin although I consider myself to be American first and always American first.

My family and I migrated to the US from Mexico when I was two and I gained my US citizenship when I was 13.

My family worked hard to come here and for illegal aliens, no matter what their race or ethnicity or nationality they have, to come here and demand that they are owed something is an insult. It's an insult to me and my family who had to work hard to immigrate to here.

I can distinguish what is pro legal and anti illegal. I support anti illegal peoples.

Anyone who opposes illegal immigration because it is wrong and a violation of US law is a hero in my eyes.

I am Mexican by birth BUT American by choice and always that way.

And no, I don't believe that being poor is a reason to immigrate illegally. The law MUST be followed!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,548,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Who cares?
I do, for one. It's a lot of fun criticizing her, making jokes about her, and disparaging her sanity, her lifestyle, and her selfishly burdening the general public and putting her 14 kids in jeopardy.

And we're ONLY able to make these comments, because she IS an "anglo"...(whatever that means).

That's why I care.....

Old 03-14-2009, 09:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,401,998 times
Well Benicar according to CIS' stats from 2007 the American taxpayers were more than generous in providing the needs of illegal aliens in California alone:

Quote:
According to the well-respected U.S. Center for Immigration Studies (www.cis.org), incarcerated convicted illegal aliens make up 29 percent of federal, state and local prisons at a cost of more than $1.6 billion annually. This number doubles when the costs for apprehension, the justice system, public defenders, interpreters, prosecutors and the courts add to the total.
Quote:
Gig Conaughton, reporter for the North County Times, Escondido, California, wrote a piece exposing the horrific costs of illegal aliens in one county.
Conaughton wrote, "A county-commissioned study estimated that illegal immigrants directly cost the county of San Diego and taxpayers $101 million last year, and indirectly cost an additional $155 million in unpaid medical care. Public school costs and a myriad of social-services increase the actual costs, but are not included in the count."
Illegal alien "migrants" cost the county roughly $75 million in criminal justice costs, such as jailing, prosecuting and public defender efforts – and $26 million in health, social and other costs. Experts said the estimates proved very conservative. Please remember, our laws only require that we provide emergency medical services.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty293.htm

These figures are from 2007. I think it's safe to say that they rose in 2008.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,548,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You do realize we were promised the 1986 Amnesty would be the FINAL amnesty, don’t you? Do you also realize our government promised to stringently enforce our laws to prevent future illegal immigration? Did they honor their promises? Of course not! Tell me, what do you think has changed? Why should we have faith in a government that has proven time and again to be so unworthy of our confidence?
Can't add much to your words of wisdom, except to ask '1 guy' and others to recall that the BIG "Final Amnesty" (you know...the one where so MANY people got MAD, and were consoled because it was going to be the FINAL ONE ?..that one in 1986?....the biggest of SEVERAL 'Final' amnesties ?) ....THAT amnesty benefitted some three million people. Today, we're talking of somewhere in the neighborhood of TWENTY MILLION people (which I personally believe is a very conservative estimate).

Do you (1 guy...or anyone else) think that amnesty in '86 'worked'? Did it produce gratitude, appreciation, and 'peace'? Did it 'satisfy' anyone, or cause anyone to believe in the 'goodness' of the American system? Did it flood Washington DC with "thank you" letters from those 3 million NEW citizens? Look around you, on this forum...does it look to YOU like amnesty "worked ?"

I don't know about YOU, but it looks to ME like that amnesty (that FINAL amnesty we were sold in '86) caused about FIFTY TIMES more anger, frustration, entitlement, and hurt feelings than it caused "good"...If there's any appreciation for that, from today's illegals (who, after all, are the 'same people' who were earlier benefitted)..OR from the Mexican Government, I sure don't hear much about it.

Seriously, anyone.....can ANYBODY make a case for a NEW amnesty for 20 million people.....(with a straight face, of course) that would have a "good" outcome? I'd sure like to hear your explanation. Why would an amnesty today, for 20 million people, turn out better than the one in '86, for 3 million did?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Well Benicar according to CIS' stats from 2007 the American taxpayers were more than generous in providing the needs of illegal aliens in California alone:

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]

These figures are from 2007. I think it's safe to say that they rose in 2008.
Most definitely! Yet, it’s never enough. We are still considered uncharitable. The tremendous gratitude oozing from illegal aliens and their supporters, is so heartwarming, it’s hard for me not to cry. Don’t you just love it?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,807,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norberto View Post
I don't believe my heritage should influence how I view the law but sadly some people do.

Exactly! thank you Norberto!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Do you (1 guy...or anyone else) think that amnesty in '86 'worked'? Did it produce gratitude, appreciation, and 'peace'? Did it 'satisfy' anyone, or cause anyone to believe in the 'goodness' of the American system? Did it flood Washington DC with "thank you" letters from those 3 million NEW citizens? Look around you, on this forum...does it look to YOU like amnesty "worked ?"

I don't know about YOU, but it looks to ME like that amnesty (that FINAL amnesty we were sold in '86) caused about FIFTY TIMES more anger, frustration, entitlement, and hurt feelings than it caused "good"...If there's any appreciation for that, from today's illegals (who, after all, are the 'same people' who were earlier benefitted)..OR from the Mexican Government, I sure don't hear much about it.
I shudder to think of the amount of anger, resentment, entitlement, and frustration another amnesty would engender. If we gauge from the current level of animosity resulting from far less illegals receiving citizenship, I don’t even want to think of another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration