U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Racial profiling, launching investigations against political rivals, intimidating free press, creating conditions in which several inmates have died in, losing millions of taxpayer dollars to all the lawsuits against him, ignoring serious warrants by taking on a crusade against Hispanic illegals or anybody who vaguely looks like them, raiding city buildings in armed unannounced raids, creating a civilian posse of vigilante types, keeping quiet about state money spent in Honduras,...

Yeah, I want that here.
Wow - you have a serious hard on for OUR Sheriff. Well, guess what? We like him.

OBTW: I'm curious about your comment "creating a civilian posse of vigilante types" - exactly what / who are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Wow - you have a serious hard on for OUR Sheriff. Well, guess what? We like him.

OBTW: I'm curious about your comment "creating a civilian posse of vigilante types" - exactly what / who are you talking about?
A lot of people in your state seem to have a hard on for Arpaio, and I'm definitely not one of them.

Yes, he has a "posse" of volunteers that he has deputized to harass people suspected of being illegal immigrants. Some with ties to not so nice people.

But you don't even acknowledge the things he has been accused of. You're such a fan, you'd rather spend more time discussing whether or not Charles Barkley is well know to kids under 25.

I don't know what it is with Arpaio groupies. "He goes after illegals!? That's all I need to know!! All that bad stuff? huh? ILLEGALS!"

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, he has a "posse" of volunteers that he has deputized to harass people suspected of being illegal immigrants. Some with ties to not so nice people.
I'm glad I asked for clarification - you are seriously misinformed - SERIOUSLY misinformed.

Under a program put forth by the federal government, Sheriff Arpaio had a large number of Deputies from his department - not volunteers as you assert - regular police officers, go through Federal training and they were then Sworn in as Federal Law Enforcement Officers. This allowed them to enforce Federal Immigration Laws. They do not harass anyone. They do inquire, as is permitted under the law, a persons immigration status - and if they are in the country illegally - they are detained and then turned over to ICE for processing and deportation. Again, these are NOT volunteers - they are full time, professional, law enforcement officers.

Sheriff Arpaio was the first Department in the country to partake of this program. Since then, the Phoenix PD, Tucson PD, Pima County Sheriff, Coconino County Sheriff (and more in AZ) and Law enforcement agencies all over the country have taken Joe's lead and are now doing the very same thing.

I would suggest that before you continue to look very foolish on this issue, you get yourself WELL educated on the matter that clearly, YOU are NOT at all informed about now.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,297,320 times
Just a reminder, it's ok to disagree, it's normal to get passionate about some issue at times, but please try to disagree in the most respectful and polite way possible ok?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Actually, those of us who value the Constitution's protections against illegal search & seizure, and believe that people are innocent until proven guilty DO NOT LIKE ARPAIO.

And I live in Southern Arizona.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Actually, those of us who value the Constitution's protections against illegal search & seizure, and believe that people are innocent until proven guilty DO NOT LIKE ARPAIO.

And I live in Southern Arizona.
Let me remind you that the Courts have, on several occassions, ruled that the Sheriffs methods are not illegal. That he methods do not constitute "illegal seaches". And remember, that when enforcing the immigration laws, the Federal laws pervail - and MCSO deputies handle the detention and referal's to ICE by the book.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 PM

365 posts, read 667,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
blah...blah...blah...Got anything new to say? How about getting a life or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Asians are taking over because they learn English. You never see people from India demanding that we learn their language and dialects. They are rising fast because they can learn English.
Originally Posted by iturbide1981
trolling...so you dont understand none of my points..LOL...wow...no wander the asians are taking over...all the commerce...our society keeps becoming slower and slower to process ,analyze , and execute...

Sorry again, sometimes I think I get ahead of myself, I want you to do some research for your own good. First check how much china and india receive in foreign direct investment. its call fdi.
http://www.firb.gov.au/content/Publi...hapter_4-7.gif

thats what I mean. you know everytime I enter this forums I think that a lot of you folks out there dont really understand economics or the reality of a lot of things I suggest that like Ill suggest Myself Ill learn to perfect my grammer but do us a favor try to understand the world from the world only politicians understand.
received
china 1.3 billion inhabitants from 1999-2004 294.43billions
India 1.1 billion inhabitans from 1999-2004 20.9billions
Mexico 109 million inhabitans 1999-2004 99.7 billions

now do you know what per capita means? when I made that comment
I meant the countries progress as a continent. not 300,000 chinese working here in the usa. thats where my comment came. Not for you to apply that negative opinion about what I said.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
I'm glad I asked for clarification - you are seriously misinformed - SERIOUSLY misinformed.

Under a program put forth by the federal government, Sheriff Arpaio had a large number of Deputies from his department - not volunteers as you assert - regular police officers, go through Federal training and they were then Sworn in as Federal Law Enforcement Officers. This allowed them to enforce Federal Immigration Laws. They do not harass anyone. They do inquire, as is permitted under the law, a persons immigration status - and if they are in the country illegally - they are detained and then turned over to ICE for processing and deportation. Again, these are NOT volunteers - they are full time, professional, law enforcement officers.

Sheriff Arpaio was the first Department in the country to partake of this program. Since then, the Phoenix PD, Tucson PD, Pima County Sheriff, Coconino County Sheriff (and more in AZ) and Law enforcement agencies all over the country have taken Joe's lead and are now doing the very same thing.

I would suggest that before you continue to look very foolish on this issue, you get yourself WELL educated on the matter that clearly, YOU are NOT at all informed about now.

Quote:
One of the most successful programs maintained by Arpaio is the all-volunteer civilian Posse program. Though Maricopa County operated the Posse for 50 years prior to Arpaio’s election, Arpaio greatly expanded the program through heavy recruiting. The volunteers perform many duties for the sheriff’s office:
* search and rescue
* emergency communications
* prisoner transport
* traffic control
* backup for sworn deputies
* office administrative duties
* Holiday Mall Patrol (which provides motorist assistance and security for shoppers during the holiday shopping season)
* deadbeat parent details targeting men and women with outstanding arrest warrants for failure to pay child support.
maricopacountyjail.net

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
maricopacountyjail.net
Yes - there is the volunteer posse. BUT, they are not the Federally sworn officers that you were alluding (harassing). They are not involved with the immigration issue.

I know - I'm one of the posse members.

Also - Arpaio did not start the Posse.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
its not about civil rights. the uncivil have forfeited their rights when they began to harm other people.
its about inmate rights they do have some but i do not think they have been violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or