U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,677,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If I read correctly, your family did come to this country legally. So, under your request to change the 14th Amendment, (turn the clock back before your parents were citizens). This would mean you would be born a legal resident and not a citizen. The amendment would not protect you and every time the US decides to return foreign nationals back to their countries, like it did in the 30's, that would put you in the same pool. Are you okay with that? Or are you saying, who cares, I already have citizenship anyway.
Once again, Zacatecana....your heart is kind; my main arguments with you are in your priorities. You're suggesting the poster may possibly have selfish motives, in that he MAY be saying "who cares (about illegals, or others), because I already HAVE my citizenship".

Even if that IS the poster's sentiment, I fail to see anything particularly shocking here. Isn't that the way you, and I, and everyone ELSE feels, at some point? Do we 'share' everything we have, with everyone, in every situation, who happens to come along? Of COURSE we don't.

You have a job...does that mean everyone who comes along, now or in the future, should get a job with your employer, TOO? That wouldn't work...the fact that YOU have a job, and somebody else may NOT, is no fault of yours. You just showed up at the right time, and they 'liked' you, and now you're "in".

The fact that we are American citizens, and other people are NOT, isn't a manifestation of our 'selfishness' or 'mean-spiritedness'....it's just fact. MOST of the world's people, in fact..by a HUGE margin...are not American citizens. Does that mean we don't "care" about them? How so?

If you want to go THAT route, you could make the case that Illegals living in the USA are 'selfish'...because THEY get to work here, while their relatives back home do NOT; therefore the illegals here "don't CARE about" the people back home, because they're HERE, and the people back home are NOT.

Makes no sense to me....Yes, I'm an American citizen..like you. Why? Many reasons, I suppose...we (or somebody related to us) got here at the right time; played by the rules; 'jumped through the hoops'; and one way or another 'got accepted'. The fact that OTHER people showed up too late, or didn't 'play the game', and now aren't "in", is no reflection on you, or I, or any other American's "selfishness". It's just the way the world works. Some people are Americans...or employees of the Post Office...or Master Card members...or Attorneys...or Taxi Drivers; and other people are NOT. It has nothing to do with anyone 'keeping people out', or 'not caring'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,770,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If I read correctly, your family did come to this country legally. So, under your request to change the 14th Amendment, (turn the clock back before your parents were citizens). This would mean you would be born a legal resident and not a citizen. The amendment would not protect you and every time the US decides to return foreign nationals back to their countries, like it did in the 30's, that would put you in the same pool. Are you okay with that? Or are you saying, who cares, I already have citizenship anyway.
I have no problem grandfathering in existing Anchor Babies age 12 up as US citizens although; needless to say, their parents, if here illegally would still have to leave the USA. But; no more birthright citizenship for new Anchors.

In noberto's case: he and his family evidently came here legally so none of the above would apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration