U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
That is because the Irish, Germans and Italians have assimilated so there is nothing to complain about.
Mexicans have assimilated, too.
Spanish has been spoken in Florida and Texas since the 1600s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I see nothing wrong with Irish Americans or any other Americans celebrating their heritage on American soil. As a matter of fact, in Chicago that is the one day that all races of people are encouraged to be Irish.

That being said what I find hypocritical are people squatting in this country illegally who when in mexico have no problem living as deaf mutes, in inhumane squalor, and completely happy with low waged jobs (if they're lucky to get one of them). Add to that equation virtually no human rights or compassion from their own government or oligarchies, exhibiting all the courage of totally invisible cowards.

Yet once they cross the border they quickly muster up the courage to unpack their balls from their brown paper bags and manage to gather their unmitigated gall to march down American streets screaming viva LaRaza, viva Mexico all while financially, morally and socially, bleeding America dry while daring American law enforcement to arrest and jail or deport them.

Question for the OP and other hypocrits whining about nothing: Do you find Hispanic Heritage Month hypocritical as well?
I think the vaunted, "Day without a Mexican" should be a National Holiday, maybe extend it to 365 days a year What a joke, Illegals marching in the streets and boycotting the only thing financially floating them. The exit door is stage right.

And JDM, that would be "testicular revitalization".

Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think the vaunted, "Day without a Mexican" should be a National Holiday, maybe extend it to 365 days a year What a joke, Illegals marching in the streets and boycotting the only thing financially floating them. The exit door is stage right.

Nail meets hammer. Testicular revitalization indeed.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Because we only have problem with illegals

Old 03-17-2009, 05:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so 98% of people showing up and getting automatic citizenship after a cursory med check is not lax?

and plenty of myths abound regarding immigrants use of ER rooms for minor issues. that is just not the case. and once again, illegals do not qualify for social service programs. most that come are single men. some with families, but mostly single men. they rely on their communities for assistance. this idea of a guy coming here and standing in a welfare line is the bigget myth...
but feel free to beleive what you will.
Look, here are some facts....in 1900 the census counted 10,460,085 people to be foreign born out of a US total population of 76,303,387.
1900 Census of Population and Housing
Lets compare that to 2000 when the census counted 31,107,889 people to be foreign born with the total US population being at 281,421,906.
http://censtats.census.gov/cgi-bin/pct/pctProfile.pl

What is striking about those numbers? Other then the population is huge, yet the land mass remains the same?
Well, it is clear that despite the 'golden age' of anything goes immigration - we in fact have more legal immigration today, with the majority of said legal immigrants being from Latin America btw...

In addition to 31+ million legal immigrants we also have upwards of 20 million illegal immigrants

There may be as many as 20 million illegal immigrants in the US today - more than twice the official Census Bureau estimate, according to Bear Stearns researchers Robert Justich and Betty Ng.
Looking at states where most of the undocumented population lives today, they reported "very dramatic increases in services required in communities that have become gateways for immigration." These include public school enrollment, language proficiency programs, and building permits. (California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina account for about half the undocumented population.)
Illegal immigrants in the US: How many are there? | csmonitor.com

So, we are looking at upwards of 50 million legal and illegal immigrants in the year 2000.
Care to tell me again how those europeans got preferential treatment back in the day? How hard it is to legally immigrate to the US?
Now, I do have first hand experience with the UCIS, and I know it sucks. But it clearly is not impossible.

As to your claim that 20 million illegal immigrants do not have a negative impact on US infrastructure, schools, natural resources and of course health care --- well, I've seen data presented on this forum that refutes you, and I am sure someone will post those facts yet again. As for me, I have to do the irl thing

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Oh and Dopo --
This one is for you

http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/large/0317lsgreen1.jpg (broken link)

Alma Ochoa serves up green tacos at the American GI Forum, 20th and N Streets in Omaha.
Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
At the time of the last great wave of immigration, US population was one third of what it is today. We needed additional people then. We don't now.
All 'hype' aside, this is true..not only did we "need" people, to fill up our empty spaces...we ALSO needed uneducated people, who would be able to support a family on an unskilled laborer's wages...(WITHOUT outside support, in most cases). Try that TODAY...we can't even accomodate our DOMESTIC high-school dropouts..those multiple millions of "grunt jobs" just aren't there anymore.

Digging a ditch, or pounding railroad spikes, or cutting timber don't require any knowledge of any particular language or 'culture'. Getting along and surviving in close quarters, in a modern, high-tech society, DO.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
We have green tortillas here for St. Patrick's so there...

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
All 'hype' aside, this is true..not only did we "need" people, to fill up our empty spaces...we ALSO needed uneducated people, who would be able to support a family on an unskilled laborer's wages...(WITHOUT outside support, in most cases). Try that TODAY...we can't even accomodate our DOMESTIC high-school dropouts..those multiple millions of "grunt jobs" just aren't there anymore.

Digging a ditch, or pounding railroad spikes, or cutting timber don't require any knowledge of any particular language or 'culture'. Getting along and surviving in close quarters, in a modern, high-tech society, DO.
Actually we still need all types, cost of living just keeps increasing. Blame evil corporate America as well as the greedy home owner hoping to flip their house for profit and to buy another larger one with overextended credit while spending and not saving their profit from the first home, etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
All well and good....no argument from me. What you say is true....and what I say, is that if we had 50,000 illegal Mexicans here, this entire forum would not exist.

But we don't ....and it does.

So it is only about illegal Mexicans and not illegals from other countries. Yes rename this forum then. What happened to secured borders and controlled immigration to prevent wages of the common folk from being artificially deflated and abuse of birthright and public services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or