U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,902,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When was the last time you checked, the 1700's?
While you are in your Time Machine, take a trip back to the late 1800's, early 1900's, and ask the non-Irish who is destroying Boston and NY?

Happy St. Patricks Day folks! I am Irish and Mexican so I can say that without hypocrisy, let's lay down some crackers and onions, and tilt back a few mugs.
That's awesome! You get to to celebrate your heritage with two of the best party days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 AM

485 posts, read 904,693 times
Default speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
jejeje (Spanish language laugh). I guess it takes years of practice, but in some cities where the majority of residents are bilingual, the back and forth is pretty common.
Hello MR.King long time no talk lol !I have a freind who was a very popular country and western singer during the 70s and 80s with like 9#1 hits and 20 top ten hit his name is Johnny Rodruiqez you may have heard of him he moved from nashville back to sabinal texas a while back,He speaks spanish very good i always thaught and recorded some in spanish,about ten years ago he went on tour in mexico,When he came back i ask him how he liked it?He said'Boy i always thaught i could speak spanish good' till i went there and they could hardley understand his tex mex spanish lol he said it was rather embaracing!lol

Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,049,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Good to hear that some are doing it, or had done it before or at tail end of our tanking economy. Only problem is those jobs are typically semi-skilled to skilled. Very rare for such offers to those who are low or unskilled.
No, actually those jobs were for working in oil or gas? Ah! I don't remember the details exactly, but I do remember that they were going for ex auto workers, blue collar workers.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,314,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Happy "Hypocracy day"!
Nobody is gonna talk about assimilation today as everybody celebrates St. Patrick's day wearing their "Kiss me I'm Irish" T-shirts
Let's see...this happens once a year and not the whole damn year. Do you even understand that? I am telling everyone that some of the latest posts in here prove without a doubt that the education system in this country has failed.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM

3,887 posts, read 6,008,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Mexicans have assimilated, too.
Spanish has been spoken in Florida and Texas since the 1600s
If they've assimilated why then do they need voting ballots in Spanish. And so what if Spanish has been around since the 1600s. Indian languages have been around this continent much longer.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When was the last time you checked, the 1700's?
While you are in your Time Machine, take a trip back to the late 1800's, early 1900's, and ask the non-Irish who is destroying Boston and NY?

Happy St. Patricks Day folks! I am Irish and Mexican so I can say that without hypocrisy, let's lay down some crackers and onions, and tilt back a few mugs.
Bless you, Mach....one of our oldest contributors, Navy man, my ex-neighbor, and one of my favorite 'sparring partners'....wrong, as usual, for the reason that, if you're going to base 'what to do' by comparing it with a century ago...then you'd also have to base 'what NOT to do', on the same level.

You aren't REALLY comparing today with a century ago...are you?

No need to repond, just my 'blurb'...and Happy SP Day to you !!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,850,009 times
Let's do compare these numbers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Look, here are some facts....in 1900 the census counted 10,460,085 people to be foreign born out of a US total population of 76,303,387.
1900 Census of Population and Housing
13.7%

Quote:
Lets compare that to 2000 when the census counted 31,107,889 people to be foreign born with the total US population being at 281,421,906.
http://censtats.census.gov/cgi-bin/pct/pctProfile.pl
11.1%

It looks to me as though the American population had a higher percentage of immigrants in 1900 than it does now. I'm not sure what your point was. After all, there were 2.6 more immigrants per 100 people in the country back then, so if anything, the immigration in this country has gone down.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 6,008,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Let's do compare these numbers...13.7%

11.1%

It looks to me as though the American population had a higher percentage of immigrants in 1900 than it does now. I'm not sure what your point was. After all, there were 2.6 more immigrants per 100 people in the country back then, so if anything, the immigration in this country has gone down.
The difference back then though was that you had to learn English to take a driving test or vote!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,850,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Last time I checked, the Irish came here LEGALLY.
Kinda...there weren't really immigration laws back then, and many snuck aboard ships and skipped by the guards at Ellis Island.
Quote:
Last time I checked, the Irish didn't try to ram their culture down our throats.
What do you call St. Patricks day parades?
Quote:
Last time I checked, the Irish didn't form gangs & kill people, ala "La Raza", just because they weren't Irish.
La Raza is not a murderous gang...and have you ever read anything about NYC's history? Italian and Irish gangs have had all-out wars, and many murderous Irish Gangs have existed throughout history.

Quote:
Last time I checked, I have never encountered any form of discrimination from Irish Americans.
And yo've been discriminated against by Mexicans? That's absolutely ridiculous. Do you even know what discrimination is?
Quote:
Direct discrimination involves treating someone less favorably because of their possession of an attribute (e.g., sex, age, race, religion, family status, national origin, military status, sexual orientation, disability, body size/shape), compared with someone without that attribute in the same circumstances.
I can't imagine this has ever happened to you because you were a pasty white person and they were brown-skinned Mexicans. I've certainly never been discriminated against for being white...and I have Jewish parents and nappy hair, two easy things to discriminate against me for.

Quote:
As for Cubans, Mexicans...you have destroyed Los Angeles & Miami, while Boston is one of America's jewels. If Miami or Los Angeles were wiped off the face of the earth, along with many of the scumbags who live in those cities, most people wouldn't give a rat's ass.
Los Angeles has the same problems any city of 8,000,000 people would have, and Miami is the only livable city south of the Mason Dixon Line and East of the Mississippi. And I guarantee you that most people would miss LA because it produces most of America's entertainment and a ton of its wealth. I hate LA, but I know that it's valuable to the State of California, the US and the World.

Quote:
Happy St. Paddy's day...I'd rather be Irish than Cuban or Mexican.
No way, really? You'd rather be white than being someone you're prejudiced against? Of course you'd rather be someone who is white and who isn't discriminated against simply because of his national origin, who wouldn't? As much as I love all people of all races, life is easier as an athletic white man with hair...I can get women, I am treated with respect by everyone and I don't get stared at like a criminal like my friends who are black or Mexican.

Just because you never checked...or just simply couldn't read, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Ignorance is no excuse...you simply don't know the facts and yet you claim to. Just simple Google searches will show you how ignorant you really are...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,049,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Let's do compare these numbers...13.7%

11.1%

Add the amount of illegals to that....

My points were that legal immigration is doable as almost 32 million people could attest to, with most of them coming from latin america (just in case you thought only white europeans were able to negotiate the USCIS)
Also, while legal immigration has gone down slightly in one hundred years (2%), the overall population has gone up - way up. Or don't you believe in the adverse effect to the environment, the economy and the infrastructure that overpopulation has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or