U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM

8,972 posts, read 10,466,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Add the amount of illegals to that....

My points were that legal immigration is doable as almost 32 million people could attest to, with most of them coming from latin america (just in case you thought only white europeans were able to negotiate the USCIS)
Also, while legal immigration has gone down slightly in one hundred years (2%), the overall population has gone up - way up. Or don't you believe in the adverse effect to the environment, the economy and the infrastructure that overpopulation has?
Good point. one too often overlooked. There are MILLIONS of Mexicans in the USA who arrived here as legal immigrants...I've known quite a number myself...and I can assure you MANY of these people resent attempts to 'include' them in the problems experienced by illegals.

Meanwhile, of course, since the illegals of today are "just like" the immigrants of 100 years ago, then, by all means, let's TREAT them the same way...Let's send them to Ohio or Pennsylvania, and put them to work in our booming Steel Mills.....there's PLENTY of work in the steel mills, I hear....or we could put them to work cutting timber in Washington or Oregon, where THOUSANDS of men live in logging camps and work 12-hour days. WONDERFUL opportunity for an immigrant, just like 100 years ago.

Remember, though..if you lose an arm, or get 'squashed' by a tree..you're ON YOUR OWN!....no 'special favors', and no job for a 'cripple'. After all, that's the way we treated them, 100 years ago...right? It was good enough THEN, and it should be good enough now....right?..

'Hypocracy', indeed !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,134,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The difference back then though was that you had to learn English to take a driving test or vote!
And that's making your life harder, how...?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 7,791,966 times
honorary rep

mac, houston cyn, and camp ... thanks for the great read.
it veered a bit, bit it was one of the best threads to read.

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Kinda...there weren't really immigration laws back then, and many snuck aboard ships and skipped by the guards at Ellis Island.
What do you call St. Patricks day parades?
La Raza is not a murderous gang...and have you ever read anything about NYC's history? Italian and Irish gangs have had all-out wars, and many murderous Irish Gangs have existed throughout history.

And yo've been discriminated against by Mexicans? That's absolutely ridiculous. Do you even know what discrimination is? I can't imagine this has ever happened to you because you were a pasty white person and they were brown-skinned Mexicans. I've certainly never been discriminated against for being white...and I have Jewish parents and nappy hair, two easy things to discriminate against me for.

Los Angeles has the same problems any city of 8,000,000 people would have, and Miami is the only livable city south of the Mason Dixon Line and East of the Mississippi. And I guarantee you that most people would miss LA because it produces most of America's entertainment and a ton of its wealth. I hate LA, but I know that it's valuable to the State of California, the US and the World.

No way, really? You'd rather be white than being someone you're prejudiced against? Of course you'd rather be someone who is white and who isn't discriminated against simply because of his national origin, who wouldn't? As much as I love all people of all races, life is easier as an athletic white man with hair...I can get women, I am treated with respect by everyone and I don't get stared at like a criminal like my friends who are black or Mexican.

Just because you never checked...or just simply couldn't read, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Ignorance is no excuse...you simply don't know the facts and yet you claim to. Just simple Google searches will show you how ignorant you really are...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,854,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Happy "Hypocracy day"!
Nobody is gonna talk about assimilation today as everybody celebrates St. Patrick's day wearing their "Kiss me I'm Irish" T-shirts
The Irish that came here during and after the famine (1847 to 1890) spoke Gaelic. They did assimilate by learning to speak English. They did not demand that the government teach their children in their native tongue. They did not demand affirmative action.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,854,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Let's do compare these numbers...13.7%

11.1%

It looks to me as though the American population had a higher percentage of immigrants in 1900 than it does now. I'm not sure what your point was. After all, there were 2.6 more immigrants per 100 people in the country back then, so if anything, the immigration in this country has gone down.
Can you run those numbers adding the illegal aliens to the 11.1%?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,670,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
And that's making your life harder, how...?
Because its costly. Immigrants need to learn English. What's being asked of Hispanic immigrants is not anything that was not being asked of German, Italian, Polish, Greek, Czech, Russian, Hungarian, or Swedish immigrants.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The difference back then though was that you had to learn English to take a driving test or vote!
Let's not get carried AWAY here...I mean, look...I'm on your side...but a Driving Test, in 1900? That was probably about as complicated as the Airline Pilots' exam was...in other words, not complicated at ALL, in 1900.

Otherwise, I agree.......and no, in response to an earlier poster, hard as you're working to "PUSH" this thing, no, I DON'T think millions...or even THOUSANDS...of illegals "snuck aboard ships" (ships carried carefully-prepared passenger manifests, and had limited food supplies)..nor did great numbers "skip by the guards" at Ellis Island....wishful, childish fantasy, that one.

A very FEW? Possibly. MILLIONS? or even TENS of THOUSANDS? Absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
honorary rep

mac, houston cyn, and camp ... thanks for the great read.
it veered a bit, bit it was one of the best threads to read.

thanks.
You're welcome. Anger, frustration, racial slurs, innuendo, and nonsensical comparisons with apples and oranges and cucumbers, and equating the present with the past, ALWAYS make for a 'lively' exchange...You couldn't "make up" stuff like this...

Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM

14,812 posts, read 7,814,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Do you find Hispanic Heritage Month hypocritical as well?
A whole month to celebrate Hispanic heritage v. one day to celebrate Irish heritage?????

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 7,791,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
A whole month to celebrate Hispanic heritage v. one day to celebrate Irish heritage?????
well hispanic does encompass quite a few more people than the term Irish. we are talking about many countries and many cultures.

dont bother me much.

besides drinking on a given day like 5 de mayo or st. pattys is a lot different than actually learning about a culture.

c'mon now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration