U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM

23,061 posts, read 32,079,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

And this is not an isolated event. Just recently there was a similar "experiment" done on Good Morning America. They paraded an actor into a business who pretended to be an immigrant who couldn't speak English. They then showed select clips of people being less than curtious to this non English speaking man. Yet another show meant to foster sympathy and I hope Americans are not buying into the lies. No matter how hard the government and the media try to put a positive spin on illegals, and no matter how hard they try to make us feel bad for them, they will never change the fact that these people they mean to protect are criminals. No one should be mistreated based on their race,religion, etc. But using this type of farse in order to gain favor for the criminals we should be removing is simply ridiculous.

We all experience off putting events in the course of our lives. Why wasn't the guy getting beat up white? I'll tell you why. Because then it would have had no political significance. The agenda is clear, and the psychological weapons have been deployed. Don't buy into the hype.
The Good Morning Show example is one i take exception with. Does Good Morning America know where the people working in the shop grew up? Let's just say they grew up in Southeastern VA or central KY (both which have very small populations of immigrants, let alone ones who dont speak english). If you didnt grow up in LA or NYC with non english-speakers, and someone comes into your shop not speaking english, how are you supposed to feel? You try your a^% off to give answers and the person dont even understand you? How can anyone judge the worker for getting at least a little frustrated? I grapple with this issue every day, done it for awhile and still get visibly frustrated when someone comes up my counter who dont speak english. At least i'm honest about it.

Call me old school or a nativist, but i strongly to do truly well in the US you MUST speak english and come legally. The american media would probably portray me as another racist Virginian who happens to be black but i will stand my my beliefs. I would rather lose my job, be chased out of Northern VA, and called a racist every day of my life than to compromise my beliefs just for at-large approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,904,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My aunt said they have a storyline (sob) on one of the soaps involving a young girl who is hiding from ICE with the assistance of some of the main characters. I also understand ‘The Simpsons’ had an illegal immigration episode. Apparently, some of the networks are attempting to influence their viewers’ stance on this volatile issue.
The Simpsons episode was over ten years ago when Prop 187 was in the news.
It's a funny episode.

It shows how the town of Springfield seriously misspent money, raising taxes causing the town to get angry at the mayor.
As a distraction, the problems are blamed on illegal immigrants.
A wave of nativism sweeps the town of Springfield with the harrassment of immigrants, foreigners.
Good stuff.

YouTube - immigants

Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM

3,227 posts, read 2,879,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A "mock beating"? BRILLIANT !! What happens when some passing citizen 'drop kicks' one of these 'attackers' in the side of the head, causing serious injury?.....or picks up an object to 'club' him with, all in the interest of saving the victim from this 'fake' attack..(which, of course, would APPEAR to be a 'real' attack?

Not saying this couldn't be a true story, but are you SURE of your sources? This seems to me to be the stuff of nghtmares for ANY media network's Legal Department. I can't IMAGINE they'd allow this to go on in public, for reasons of liability.

I DO agree that there's a concerted effort to 'minimize' the negative effects of illegals, and an attempt to 'humanize' the crime like NO OTHER petty offense in our society. I've NEVER seen a 'pro-pickpocket' article, or heard of any writer calling shoplifters "customers". Illegal immigration is pretty unique in that regard..and the reason is, it's been successfully presented to the public as a 'racial issue'....and it's discussed almost entirely from that angle.
No doubt about the source. I watched the show myself. It has only been on for a little while. Here is a link to the show.

ABC News: What Would You Do?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM

3,227 posts, read 2,879,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
The show tonight was actually themed "What would you do." Putting people in situations and finding out what they would do. One situation happened to be about a man who didn't speak English. There was no hype about illegal versus legal. The disturbing thing was how they talked about the increase against those who are different.

OK that aside the show also had an obnoxious white girl on the beach with blaring radio and nearby beach goers not doing anything to tell her to turn off the radio but they did defend here when someone stole her iPod. Or the beautiful girl who was not obnoxious and defended by the women who were jealous when someone stole her iPod. If anything it showed that white people stick together.

There was also a segment on actor wannabes who were asked to promote a hair product and witnessed another actors hair falling out. Freaky but surfaced how people are willing to deceive others and compromise their values.

I have not seen the other shows so cannot comment about the "agenda" you mention but don't doubt there are some media portraying what you say.
I must disagree about there being no legal vs. illegal theme. While they may not have come out and yelled illegal, the actors were pretending to beat a non English speaking Hispanic male while taunting him. Yelling things like "Hey Paco!" and "You don't belong here!" Sure, you could argue this was merely meant as an experiment to see how people react to non English speaking immigrants. But the underlying tone, especially considering our current economic situation and large illegal population, was to foster sympathy for this poor immigrant. And since the situation portrayed is not even close to an ordinary situation, you have to see the correlation between current political stances and the theme of this particular part of the show. I mean sure, people do get beat up on the street sometimes. But that's all kinds of people, not just immigrants. To pull this card at this particular time was not an accident. This was a planned attempt to further the goals of those who would see amnesty become reality. And this agenda has been repeated a lot lately, be it on TV or in your local newspaper. A major attempt to change our opinion of illegals is going strong, but fortunately, is seeing modest results.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I must disagree about there being no legal vs. illegal theme. While they may not have come out and yelled illegal, the actors were pretending to beat a non English speaking Hispanic male while taunting him. Yelling things like "Hey Paco!" and "You don't belong here!" Sure, you could argue this was merely meant as an experiment to see how people react to non English speaking immigrants. But the underlying tone, especially considering our current economic situation and large illegal population, was to foster sympathy for this poor immigrant. And since the situation portrayed is not even close to an ordinary situation, you have to see the correlation between current political stances and the theme of this particular part of the show. I mean sure, people do get beat up on the street sometimes. But that's all kinds of people, not just immigrants. To pull this card at this particular time was not an accident. This was a planned attempt to further the goals of those who would see amnesty become reality. And this agenda has been repeated a lot lately, be it on TV or in your local newspaper. A major attempt to change our opinion of illegals is going strong, but fortunately, is seeing modest results.
Agreed. That is exactly what they are trying to do. Obama,the corporate crooks, and the ethnocentric racists are fully aware that the vast majority of Americans want illegal aliens to self deport or be deported. No "earned pathway to citizenship, pay a fine, learn English and get at the back of the line" while remaining in the US illegally. All Americans know that rewarding their criminal behavior simply serves to encourage more of the same. They will be flooding our borders and USCIS will be inundated with fraudulent documents and millions more criminals from around the globe.

As I sit here listening to Obama babble and hispander to his majority audience of hispanics, many of whom (judging by the applause he received after assuring them that amnesty is on the table) obviously have illegal alien friends and family members, I can't help but wonder how many Americans does he think is buying that line of bull, or will tolerate it for that matter.

Has it even occurred to Obama and the rest of the hispanderers that the majority of illegal aliens are 3rd grade educated at best, illiterate at worst? Thus it renders millions of these criminals incapable of assimilating, learning English, the constitution or much of anything else other than the location of the nearest welfare, WIC and Section 8 office and even then the majority of them will need a taxpayer funded interpreter to get the directions in spanish.

I hope Obama and cast have a plan B that doesn't include any form of amnesty, because I have no doubt that any attempt at passing any form of amnesty is going to result in massive crowds of Americans rioting in the streets.

Great post RTM!

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-18-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or