U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 PM

33,174 posts, read 30,462,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post
http://goldseek.com/news/2008/12-5mh/9.png

tell that to japan buddy the most automated country in the world
but even for the japs that isnt enough and you know why?
because they took those technologies and management skills that so
surpass the west in the 1980's to
china, taiwan, singapore, brazil, mexico and now even usa.
so they use their domestic subsidies their own countryman were left behind after
40 years of nurturing them with expensive tariffs to protect their native industries. Is that what you want? is that your scenario for america without immigration?

some people are never going to get the bigger picture
Japs? Ok whatever..

Here is a local number I can agree with
Cost of illegal immigration in California estimated at nearly $9 billion : North County Times - Californian (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/12/06/news/top_stories/19_56_5812_5_04.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 11,550 times
Did you know that illegal immigrants get taxed on their checks, fed-state but there are illegal so no social security #, that means they can't claim taxes, hmmm I wonder who keeps all that unclaimed money? suprise the gov. and state.!!!! if you flip a quarter you'll notice it has 2 sides

Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,021,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrico View Post
Did you know that illegal immigrants get taxed on their checks, fed-state but there are illegal so no social security #, that means they can't claim taxes, hmmm I wonder who keeps all that unclaimed money? suprise the gov. and state.!!!! if you flip a quarter you'll notice it has 2 sides
What % works under the table and pay no taxes what so ever?
What % of those also have 3 or more children paid for by tax dollars legals paid? Who pays the school taxes? School lunches? The list is endless.
How many illegals go on to commit serious crimes to include rape and murder? How many are jailed and we foot the bill for that also.
No it does not balance out. Quite simply at best they are a burden not an asset.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Then who hires them? another illegal alien? answer that for me ? and what are we doing about it? p.s. i guess it would put your mind at ease if only americans were breaking the laws. killing and raping.. and i never implied they were assets just that there is someone higher up the ladder pulling the puppet strings...

Last edited by Jrico; 03-20-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM

608 posts, read 885,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Quote:
Kammer says that Swift used pay increases and signing bonuses to staff the plants after the raids, but bringing up wages wouldn't necessarily correlate to a hike in consumer prices.

"Research by the USDA and others indicates that wages and benefits for production workers account for only 7 to 9 percent of retail meat prices," Kammer writes. "This means that if wages and benefits were increased by one-third, consumer prices would rise by 3 percent at most."
I wouldn't get too excited. Looks to me like a temporary rise in wages to continue operations. Maybe even increases in order to sustain these wages in the long run. Don't get me wrong, if this pay level is what it takes to hire workers (real wages) then so be it. But the vast majority in the US will still gripe and complain about rising costs of everything especially in this economy. Rising prices are the other costs of immigration reform.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 PM

finally .someone sees the bigger picture, its called supply and demand. supply cheap labor and demand 200% markup, take away the cheap labor and it just give them and excuse to raise their retail prices another 200%, and if read in between the lines the retailers don't lose money and will not cut in to their profits, not even for their fellow americans that are struggling. they don't care if you lost you job and they not going to lower prices just because of that. I call step on the little guy and then step on him again. its our own greedy corporations doing this to us...

Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,857,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post
http://goldseek.com/news/2008/12-5mh/9.png

tell that to japan buddy the most automated country in the world
but even for the japs that isnt enough and you know why?
because they took those technologies and management skills that so
surpass the west in the 1980's to
china, taiwan, singapore, brazil, mexico and now even usa.
so they use their domestic subsidies their own countryman were left behind after
40 years of nurturing them with expensive tariffs to protect their native industries. Is that what you want? is that your scenario for america without immigration?

some people are never going to get the bigger picture
japan destroyed their economy with their ZIRP system, which has nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 59,145,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I wouldn't get too excited. Looks to me like a temporary rise in wages to continue operations. Maybe even increases in order to sustain these wages in the long run. Don't get me wrong, if this pay level is what it takes to hire workers (real wages) then so be it. But the vast majority in the US will still gripe and complain about rising costs of everything especially in this economy. Rising prices are the other costs of immigration reform.
Rising prices has nothing to do with massive uncontrolled immigration.

Back a year or so ago, meat prices were going up to $8 a pound, milk was over $4 a gallon. Even lettuce was sky high -- well over a dollar.

Prices have dropped on some food items but before massive immigration of the 1980's and after, food prices were actually much lower than they are today.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 59,145,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrico View Post
No one gets a refund on social security taxes and illegals working with stolen social security numbers all have figured out to declare many exemptions on their W-4 forms, so they get no federal tax taken out of "their" checks. Or do you think word doesn't get out about that? They pay no federal income tax using stolen social security numbers but they may pay social security but they pay no health insurance premiums and get all their health care free.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 PM

608 posts, read 885,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Rising prices has nothing to do with massive uncontrolled immigration.

Back a year or so ago, meat prices were going up to $8 a pound, milk was over $4 a gallon. Even lettuce was sky high -- well over a dollar.

Prices have dropped on some food items but before massive immigration of the 1980's and after, food prices were actually much lower than they are today.
You are overlooking the fuel surcharges that everyone was charging and passing on down the line. A year or two ago was when fuel surcharges where their highest for transport companies. Some prices have indeed dropped as some transports reduced or eliminated the fuel surcharges. And as they should, how could the justify continues surcharges when fuel was the lowest it has been in several years.

Bottom line is no one factor causes food and other costs to rise/fall. There are many factors of which many often overlook by choice or ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration