U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,298,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Having traveled all over the world I feel confident in saying this. Ignoring a travel advisory is a good way to find yourself in a bad situation. I love Thailand and the Thai people. I travel to Thailand every year with my wife. Make no mistake I never venture to southern Thailand. I don't want to end up dead, kidnapped or maimed. I am a combat vet highly trained and I am very confident in my survival abilities. Yes no doubt Mexico has some attractive areas. They also have some seriously dangerous areas. Especially if you are a non-native or a tourist. Enter at your own risk. Bad things happen to people who ignore warnings.
It depends on your personality I guess, I've also travelled around the world and from my experience I can say that I trust more my common sense and my gut than any warning. I would be more inclined to believe the local's warnings than warnings from people who's never put a foot in the place. But that's me, ymmv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,278,411 times
A lot of times, people who say "Stay out of Mexico" don't like Mexicans or Hispanic culture. I have no issue whatsoever with this. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I can't stand the PC type people who believe we must love everybody and every culture. What bothers me is when people are dishonest about this. Just tell the truth. Say it's about the people. Say it's about the culture. Quit blaming the vast minority of the country that is not a drug route. Many more kids went to Mexico for spring break than the United States this year. Guess what country had more deaths? The United States. Perhaps we should give a travel warning for Panama City, Florida?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
A lot of times, people who say "Stay out of Mexico" don't like Mexicans or Hispanic culture. I have no issue whatsoever with this. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I can't stand the PC type people who believe we must love everybody and every culture. What bothers me is when people are dishonest about this. Just tell the truth. Say it's about the people. Say it's about the culture. Quit blaming the vast minority of the country that is not a drug route. Many more kids went to Mexico for spring break than the United States this year. Guess what country had more deaths? The United States. Perhaps we should give a travel warning for Panama City, Florida?
What you stated about crime in the US doesn't surprise me.

After all there are 20 million illegal aliens (the majority of whom are from Mexico), driving while drunk, raping, molesting children, elderly Americans and murdering Americans of all ages all over the US.
Add to that massive population mexican gangs and drug cartel cells living throughout the US.

Why do you think mexico is whining about them coming back?

illegal alien murderers in American jails - Google Search

See: http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...html:rolleyes:

Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
The military and the local Colleges have warned everyone to stay out until they get the violence under control. My buddy who owns a house there won't even go down to collect rent in TJ.

If it's not safe for US Marines then I sure as heck ain't going.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What you stated about crime in the US doesn't surprise me.

After all there are 20 million illegal aliens (the majority of whom are from Mexico), driving while drunk, raping, molesting children, elderly Americans and murdering Americans of all ages all over the US.
Add to that massive population mexican gangs and drug cartel cells living throughout the US.

Why do you think mexico is whining about them coming back?

illegal alien murderers in American jails - Google Search

See: http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...html:rolleyes:
Really? Have any numbers on crimes committed by illegals? How about this. Give me a ratio. What is the percentage of illegals committing violent crimes compared to the percentage of illegals that are law abiding (minus their illegal entry)? Is it higher or lower than that of the general population of the United States? Because I'll have to be honest. I read a lot of empty rhetoric on this forum.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,298,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The military and the local Colleges have warned everyone to stay out until they get the violence under control. My buddy who owns a house there won't even go down to collect rent in TJ.

If it's not safe for US Marines then I sure as heck ain't going.
I'm suspicious that this whole deal is nothing else but a publicitary stunt to boost tourism in these times of economic crisis.

Usually warnings have the opposite effect, forbid something and you'll double the amount of people who'll want to do it

Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Really? Have any numbers on crimes committed by illegals? How about this. Give me a ratio. What is the percentage of illegals committing violent crimes compared to the percentage of illegals that are law abiding (minus their illegal entry)? Is it higher or lower than that of the general population of the United States? Because I'll have to be honest. I read a lot of empty rhetoric on this forum.
You obviously didn't bother to click on the links I provided. Read a few of the stories in the ILLEGAL ALIEN CRIME WAVE thread and judge for yourself.

That being said, here's a little something for you to consider:
Quote:
llegal Immigrants Cost America $84 Billion per Year Because of Crime

May 1, 2008: This post is obsolete and wrong in places. For something better, go to:
http://rasmusen.org/t/2008/04/illega...-of-crime.html
How much does crime by illegal immigrants cost America each year? My estimate is $84 billion per year.

From the Justice Dept. source on prison data: Prison and Jail Inmates at Midyear 2006, Bureau of Justice Statistics Prisoners in 2006 (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/p06.htm - broken link), or http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/pjim06.pdf (broken link) Appendix Table 6: In prisons: 33K federal, 57K state noncitizens on June 30, 2006. Total: 90K. Table 12: Prisoners in custody: 181K federal, 1290K state. Total: 1471K. Fraction noncitizen: 90/1471= 6.1%.

If there are 10.5 million illegal aliens, then their imprisonment rate is 90/10500 = 0.85%. There are 308 thousand Hispanics in prison p06t07.csv out of a population of 44.3 million (Stat Abs. Table 6), about 0.69%. Thus, illegal aliens aren't much different from hispanics in percentage imprisoned. That is surprising, since I would think the illegals would have fewer women and children to bring down the criminality rate. The overall US imprisonment rate is 1471/297000=.50%. The white (nonblack, nonHispanic) rate is .27% (= (478+49)/198000 ) and the black (nonhispanic) rate is 1.56% (=(534+28)/36000).

http://www.rasmusen.org/x/2007/06/30...ause-of-crime/

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-20-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 PM

From Rasmusen's link, "Note that even corrected, my estimates are still just a weblog estimate, not up to the standards for first draft for an academic working paper, though that doesn't mean they aren't the best available (somebody *should* do a serious study of this). What would be really useful would be a survey of a random sample of those imprisoned in state and federal prisons and jails."

Wow, what convincing evidence. What great analysis. I'm surprised this guy is at Indiana. I bet Ball St. wouldn't even hire him.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
From Rasmusen's link, "Note that even corrected, my estimates are still just a weblog estimate, not up to the standards for first draft for an academic working paper, though that doesn't mean they aren't the best available (somebody *should* do a serious study of this). What would be really useful would be a survey of a random sample of those imprisoned in state and federal prisons and jails."

Wow, what convincing evidence. What great analysis. I'm surprised this guy is at Indiana. I bet Ball St. wouldn't even hire him.
Again, click on the additional links. Or better yet google it and, look it up yourself. Illegal aliens primarily from SOB are commiting crimes all over the US and stories are everywhere.

Knock yourself out . . .

Old 03-20-2009, 10:05 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,686 times
Should someone post a ton of pictures of the United States to prove that WE are a beautiful country to vacation in? Every place on Earth has it's own beauty. If American's are being warned to stay OUT of Mexico then it's high time we listened. I also agree that we should NOT be spending our money in their economy at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or