U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I agree with you. Mexico certainly seems like it could be a wonderful place to visit and even live. So maybe we should encourage our enormous illegal population to go back to their own personal wonderland. I mean with all the US jobs already located there and the beautiful beaches,sun, and fun, I can't understand why they would ever want to stay here.

Also, I believe most tourists do take the advice of our Intelligence Agencies when it comes to tourism. I seriously doubt there has been a large spike in travel to Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc. over the last 8 years because people obviously know those are places Americans just aren't that welcome. And while the US dollar is still more than welcome in Mexico, it is definately not your safest vacation spot.

And in reference to that 12.17 billion dollar year, I'd say that's pretty lean when compared to the 25 or so billion dollars that flows from our country into Mexico on a monthly basis. Tourism may contribute to their economy, but not on the scale many would have us believe. Aside from oil, wage money from illegals is their top contributor. So maybe instead of worrying about where people vacation, we should start attacking the businesses here at home who employ illegals and make it possible for these massive amounts of money to go over the border instead of being spent here to stimulate our economy. Because in the end, I think our economic woes should come first.
I absolutely agree with you, America has the entire right to do whatever is required to solve the problem within her borders, and something should be done, but many people is quick to point illegal immigrants or attack Mexico when most of her citizens don't really have any control over this, and few acknowledge the fact that corruption within the United States government is a key element of the problem of the flood of illegal immigrants within US soil.

Where this corruption started? It is easy, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and as the United States kept rising in power and global influence during the past centuries, the temptation to abuse that power by those who hold it grew stronger, the desire for more power, and more money to those in power became more important than caring about her own people, those who voted by the officials, that supposedly have to serve and protect them.

It is a pity that the United States government cares more about catering her corporations, lobbies, defense contractors, than it's own people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I absolutely agree with you, America has the entire right to do whatever is required to solve the problem within her borders, and something should be done, but many people is quick to point illegal immigrants or attack Mexico when most of her citizens don't really have any control over this, and few acknowledge the fact that corruption within the United States government is a key element of the problem of the flood of illegal immigrants within US soil.

Where this corruption started? It is easy, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and as the United States kept rising in power and global influence during the past centuries, the temptation to abuse that power by those who hold it grew stronger, the desire for more power, and more money to those in power became more important than caring about her own people, those who voted by the officials, that supposedly have to serve and protect them.

It is a pity that the United States government cares more about catering her corporations, lobbies, defense contractors, than it's own people.
The degree of corruption is much worse in Mexico vs. the USA.

Which still does not absolve Mexico from taking care of its people.

More and more: the wall across our southern border is looking better and better.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I agree with you. Mexico certainly seems like it could be a wonderful place to visit and even live. So maybe we should encourage our enormous illegal population to go back to their own personal wonderland. I mean with all the US jobs already located there and the beautiful beaches,sun, and fun, I can't understand why they would ever want to stay here.

Also, I believe most tourists do take the advice of our Intelligence Agencies when it comes to tourism. I seriously doubt there has been a large spike in travel to Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc. over the last 8 years because people obviously know those are places Americans just aren't that welcome. And while the US dollar is still more than welcome in Mexico, it is definately not your safest vacation spot.

And in reference to that 12.17 billion dollar year, I'd say that's pretty lean when compared to the 25 or so billion dollars that flows from our country into Mexico on a monthly basis. Tourism may contribute to their economy, but not on the scale many would have us believe. Aside from oil, wage money from illegals is their top contributor. So maybe instead of worrying about where people vacation, we should start attacking the businesses here at home who employ illegals and make it possible for these massive amounts of money to go over the border instead of being spent here to stimulate our economy. Because in the end, I think our economic woes should come first.

Americans should take heed to the warnings that they are receiving. I think we've lost enough American lives in Mexico:
Quote:

Faces of tragedy
DATABASE, RELATED REPORT AND MORE
Learn more about the U.S. victims
Houston mom waited 4 years for justice in son's death
Map: American bloodshed in Mexico

More U.S. citizens suffered unnatural deaths in Mexico than in any other foreign country — excluding military killed in combat zones — from 2004 to 2007, State Department statistics show.
Killers of Americans south of border rarely caught | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-22-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Hmm . . .funny for some reason my response to you was deleted. Anyway, like I was saying, ITA. Americans should take heed to the warnings that they are receiving. I think we've lost enough American lives in Mexico:

[b]

Killers of Americans south of border rarely caught | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Not good at all.....................

Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not good at all.....................
Agreed. Since I've been following this issue for a while now and had read the story surrounding the number of Americans that have been murderd there, I for one wasn't surprised at all.

This part is really scarey:

Quote:
More U.S. citizens suffered unnatural deaths in Mexico than in any other foreign country — excluding military killed in combat zones — from 2004 to 2007, State Department statistics show.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

I can agree that our own Gov needs to crack down on those who would use illegal labor. That would include the cheap homeowner to cheap to hire licenced contractors.
That said one can not ignore the mentality of the individual who would casually disregard our laws as all illegals do. I really don't care what the country of origin is, what I care about is that they don't belong here and need to be dealt with.
Comparing the corruption of Mexico to that of the USA? Sort of like comparing a nuke to a hand gun.
Why does the USA feel the need to solve the worlds problems? Well they have used us via the UN as the world police force for more than 50 years.
I am all for us looking within and solving our own problems.
Illegal immigration being one of the problems that needs immediate attention. Rewarding it is not a solution but an encouragement.
As far as travel warnings go. They are just That.. A warning enter at your own risk.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I can agree that our own Gov needs to crack down on those who would use illegal labor. That would include the cheap homeowner to cheap to hire licenced contractors.
That said one can not ignore the mentality of the individual who would casually disregard our laws as all illegals do. I really don't care what the country of origin is, what I care about is that they don't belong here and need to be dealt with.
Comparing the corruption of Mexico to that of the USA? Sort of like comparing a nuke to a hand gun.
Why does the USA feel the need to solve the worlds problems? Well they have used us via the UN as the world police force for more than 50 years.
I am all for us looking within and solving our own problems.
Illegal immigration being one of the problems that needs immediate attention. Rewarding it is not a solution but an encouragement.
As far as travel warnings go. They are just That.. A warning enter at your own risk.
Agreed. We have all stated that our government and the corporate crooks are duplicitious in terms of enabling the illegal alien invasion/crime wave. That being said beating a dead horse by comparing the level and long standing history of corruption throughout mexico, vs. that of the American government is so delusional it's the equivalent of comparing apples to steak and blaming the victims (the American people) for the crimes perpetrated upon us by the masses of illegal aliens who have no dignity, no conscience, no respect for the rule of law, America or her people.

Excellent post tin . . .

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-22-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Agreed. We have all stated that our government and the corporate crooks are duplicitious in terms of enabling the illegal alien invasion/crime wave. That being said beating a dead horse by comparing the level and long standing history of corruption throughout mexico, vs. that of the American government is so delusional it's the equivalent of comparing apples to steak and blaming the victims (the American people) for the crimes of the masses of illegal aliens who have no dignity, no conscience, no respect for the rule of law, America or her people.

Excellent post tin . . .
I can't disagree with anything in your post. Dead on.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I can't disagree with anything in your post. Dead on.
Same here. Thank you sir.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Quote:
Americans should take heed to the warnings that they are receiving. I think we've lost enough American lives in Mexico:Killers of Americans south of border rarely caught | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
If the information contained in these links is correct, I'd say it might be a good idea to voluntarily give up Mexico as your vacation destination this year. Sure, your chances of getting hurt may be relatively slim, but they are still to high for me to bring my family down for some R&R.

But the real point is we should start doing whatever we can to send the message that we aren't willing to support everyone else's economy anymore. I would never dream of trying to tell people where to vacation. And I wouldn't tell you not to eat a certain tuna because they catch dolphins in their nets. In the end, it's up to the individual to choose the path they want to take and to decide how they will make their stand. If it's boycotting Mexican tourist sites, more power to them. If it's boycotting American companies that make their money off of the mistreatment of illegal laborers, even better. Because one thing is true of both sides in this debate. We are both being mistreated by a system that isn't working properly.

The free flow of cheap illegal labor hurts Americans all over. And the fact that they are illegal gives the business owners a chance to do as they please and not follow the labor laws. People love to talk about the immigrants who work 12 to 14 hours a day in the rain, sleet, or snow. Immigrants who work 7 days a week. And why, because they don't have a choice. They are people just like the rest of us, and they would love some time to actually "LIVE" just like the rest of us. But, if they refuse, they are sent packing, only to be replaced by another. They can't stand up for the rights that protect US workers because labor laws only protect US citizens. It is a painfully selfish game, and it's not fair for either side. If we are going to be forced to continue to put up with illegals, we should at least grant them the same coverage of the law as we do citizens. That way, they cannot be used and abused for nothing more than the smallest of minority's gains and we will all be on a level playing field again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or