Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times

Advertisements

Can we get some pictures of some scenic Mexican jails to see which ones we like the least?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
College campuses? That's going to backfire...

Mexico should pay them for the advertising!
Actually: the Mexican resorts are losing quite a bit of business courtesy of the gang violence SoB.

Flip side: place like Lake Havasu City are picking up some of the (party animal) business formerly earmarked for Mx.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Some years back had an occasion to visit a Mexican Army jail legally (to use the bathroom) in a small town during a parade.

If you ever have watched a western mexican cowboy movie...thats it to a tee. The cells and the bathroom I saw were baaaaadddd. Take my advice ...never go near one.

I am in Baja south of Rosarito...last week the town was very quiet during the day with hardly any Americans on the street. Not sure about today or this weekend...probably the same from what I gather.

Part blame is the news of the drug wars...also the fact many people have to have a Passport (about $100.00 inorder to return to the US). 3-4 people in a family with the economy like it is can be expensive for some folks considering they may only come across two or three times a yr if that.

Have a American friend who sells stuff on the weekends at the local swap/flea mkt. He told me last week that sales for everybody were down and the foot traffic of Americans was way down and the locals were not spending any money to speak of. It's a tight market.

Steve

Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
crime stats in mexico

NationMaster - Mexican Crime statistics

warning Americans about traveling into mexico
https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=96921 (broken link)

http://cbs2.com/national/travel.mexico.beach.2.623882.html (broken link)

http://www.reuters.com/article/world...40609720080421

This does not look good for mexico's future...

http://stanfordreview.org/article/br...d-growing-vio/

Last edited by Arizona Bound; 03-21-2009 at 05:39 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I'm suspicious that this whole deal is nothing else but a publicitary stunt to boost tourism in these times of economic crisis.

Usually warnings have the opposite effect, forbid something and you'll double the amount of people who'll want to do it
No it entices risk takers not the average people. For example: I avoid the PI. It is simular to many 3rd world countries in that corruption amoung the police and public officials is not even hidden. Go to the PI alone with no local contacts and you stand a good chance of becoming a statistic. Don't leave the airport with a cab driver. You might end up in an alley somewhere minus your luggage, clothes, money and passport. I love the PI also. But not enough to make a personal donation of whatever belongings I brought with me.
I won't go to Mexico for a few reasons.
1. I have no interest in mexico
2. I don't like the mentality that we owe them something.
3. I have no desire to test any of my combat/survival skills.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Can we get some pictures of some scenic Mexican jails to see which ones we like the least?
Agreed. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't decrease the size of nor negate the reality that it's still a pig.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No it entices risk takers not the average people. For example: I avoid the PI. It is simular to many 3rd world countries in that corruption amoung the police and public officials is not even hidden. Go to the PI alone with no local contacts and you stand a good chance of becoming a statistic. Don't leave the airport with a cab driver. You might end up in an alley somewhere minus your luggage, clothes, money and passport. I love the PI also. But not enough to make a personal donation of whatever belongings I brought with me.
I won't go to Mexico for a few reasons.
1. I have no interest in mexico
2. I don't like the mentality that we owe them something.
3. I have no desire to test any of my combat/survival skills.

Bravo sailor, another great post

Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
[/b]

Bravo sailor, another great post
Tears ago when in Naples Italy we were banned from going anywhere North of Via Roma. We called it the gut. For a good reason. It is Naples Ghetto. Some sailors had to test the ban. A good number of them got lucky and were only beaten and robbed. Not all enjoyed that luck.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Tears ago when in Naples Italy we were banned from going anywhere North of Via Roma. We called it the gut. For a good reason. It is Naples Ghetto. Some sailors had to test the ban. A good number of them got lucky and were only beaten and robbed. Not all enjoyed that luck.
I am sorry to hear about that less than enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, Americans often become victims in foreign countries. Even worse, some are murdered and nobody ever finds out what happened to them.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I'm suspicious that this whole deal is nothing else but a publicitary stunt to boost tourism in these times of economic crisis.

Usually warnings have the opposite effect, forbid something and you'll double the amount of people who'll want to do it
In my circle of friends that have kids of age old enough to go down they've all made a pact that under no circumstances will they go, or entice their friends to go, to TJ.

I also belong to some clubs, one being a desert camping group and they've cancelled every trip SOB for the year. We also ditched out the baja races we usually attend. No thanks.

This will ease the border wait for everyone else though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration