U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Folks, it’s going to get REAL ugly.



Citizens, illegal immigrants jostle for jobs | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/599354.html - broken link)
Yes, the charms, the fun, the excitement and the 'colorful new ways' of multiculturalism that seem like so much fun at the local 'food fair', or at Disneyland, can become a real 'flash point' when life closes in, folks start losing their homes and their jobs, and the 'culprits' involved are seen (correctly or NOT) as members of another culture. THAT'S when people's true colors come out, and THAT'S when it's a good idea, as we go into a period of suffering, cutting back, and maybe even 'want', to see ourselves as 'all in the same boat', rather than members of competing ethnic 'teams'. THAT, just as you say, could get ugly....(Particularly when SOME of the 'competitors' really have no legal right to even BE competing at ALL). Ethnicity and race, when they're allowed to be seen as 'in competition' (rightly or wrongly) can be some of mankind's most POTENT sources of discord and violence.

It's such an OBVIOUS truth, it almost makes one wonder why nobody ever mentioned this earlier??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, the charms, the fun, the excitement and the 'colorful new ways' of multiculturalism that seem like so much fun at the local 'food fair', or at Disneyland, can become a real 'flash point' when life closes in, folks start losing their homes and their jobs, and the 'culprits' involved are seen (correctly or NOT) as members of another culture. THAT'S when people's true colors come out, and THAT'S when it's a good idea, as we go into a period of suffering, cutting back, and maybe even 'want', to see ourselves as 'all in the same boat', rather than members of competing ethnic 'teams'. THAT, just as you say, could get ugly....(Particularly when SOME of the 'competitors' really have no legal right to even BE competing at ALL). Ethnicity and race, when they're allowed to be seen as 'in competition' (rightly or wrongly) can be some of mankind's most POTENT sources of discord and violence.

It's such an OBVIOUS truth, it almost makes one wonder why nobody ever mentioned this earlier??
Yep, itís no surprise. Itís all about survival; and the possibilities are as vast as the stars. But then, we have been expecting this -- and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yep, itís no surprise. Itís all about survival; and the possibilities are as vast as the stars. But then, we have been expecting this -- and more.
Unfortunately, it's part of the human condition to wait until things get really rough, and everybody is in deep trouble to take some action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Reputation: 47449
the employers are and have been conspiring with the governmenet to bring cheap illegal labor to this country to break american labor. its a roll back of american labor of 50 years.
need a labor movement now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Unfortunately, it's part of the human condition to wait until things get really rough, and everybody is in deep trouble to take some action.
Not only HUMANS...the classic English tale "The Three Little Pigs" spoke to the effects of 'putting things off' until too late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Unfortunately, it's part of the human condition to wait until things get really rough, and everybody is in deep trouble to take some action.
Unfortunately, many of us are not proactive. As you mentioned, we tend to wait until things reach a boiling point. Sadly, oftentimes itís too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not only HUMANS...the classic English tale "The Three Little Pigs" spoke to the effects of 'putting things off' until too late...
Not only them; but what about “The Three Bears”-- all they had to do was install a lock or a security system. They could have spared themselves from the shock of finding Goldilocks sleeping in their bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM
 
32 posts, read 40,837 times
Reputation: 32
[quote=Benicar;7998742]Folks, itís going to get REAL ugly.


IMPACT ON JOBS (scroll about 1/2 way down)
www.congressandimmigration.com_The Dark side 6

Immigration Enforcement in Meatpacking
The 2006 Swift Raids: Assessing the Impact of Immigration Enforcement Actions at Six Facilities | Center for Immigration Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top