Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,600,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
La Raza?
The NCLR? La Raza Unida? What La Raza are you talking about? Or are you talking about Chicanos/Mexicanos in general when you say "laraza"? Or is Laraza the last name of an individual?

Keep in mind this is New York. Are all the immigrants in question even "raza"?
That's seems to be the automatic place everybody's mind goes to.

But I agree these programs are something to consider....learning English is very important. That's usually your guys argument, and I always agree. My argument has always been that immigrants do want to learn English.
Yes, lets pretend that most immigrants are not Spanish speaking. And while we are at it, lets pretend that all the different 'la raza' organizations either accidently or coincidentally chose the same phrase to be a part of their name. But whatever, any of them can and should put their federally funded budgets to actually helping spanish speaking immigrants by teaching them english as opposed to only organizing marches to protest ice raids.
I am sure that there are other immigrant groups as well. I know that there is a sudanese group that helps newcomers adjust to life in the us. I believe that there is one based through a church for the korean immigrants as well. As I said, I bet there are many.
If the economy doesn't rebound as quickly as we all hope, it could very well be that budgets will be cut and esl for adults may be one of the things to go. If so, I hope that the various immigrant groups will be able to rally and continue providing classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
WHen my family came to this country they didn't expect anyone to "pay" for their English language classes. They took night classes through the community on their OWN dime!
I'm with you cobolt. If immigrants want to be an American then let them learn English on their own time and their own dime. What happened to the rule of law that you must speak English and pass a test prior to being granted citizenship?

If we just have to pay for English classes, there are plenty of native born Americans that could benefit from taxpayer funded English classes. I'd be willing to pay for a few spelling classes for my fellow Americans as well. Lord knows I've heard my share of botch jobs out of their mouths. Every time I hear some yahoo say "anyways" as if that's a word, or some ghetto idiot start a sentence with "Is you", I just want to scream out loud. [/rant over]

No immigrant legal, or illegal should be allowed to come here and become an instant tax burden. Let their employers foot the bill. If they don't have a job and don't have the ambition to learn it on their own, then maybe they shouldn't be here.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-23-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,277,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, lets pretend that most immigrants are not Spanish speaking. And while we are at it, lets pretend that all the different 'la raza' organizations either accidently or coincidentally chose the same phrase to be a part of their name.
It is no accident or coincidence.
They are trying to represent the same group of people, however with different causes and stances and focuses.

You guys need to get over your hang up on the phrase. It's been around since the civil rights era...it didn't pop during the illegal immigration debate. And it's not so much of a conspiracy as you are insinuating with your "accidents" or "coincidences".

Just like the Chinese Association of Omaha isn't the same thing as the Chinese Mafia.
Or maybe we should "pretend" that is just some kind of accident or coincidence too, huh?

Do you honestly think all the associations and organizations with the words "La Raza" in them are connected, all connected for the agenda of illegal immigrants? Do you also read David Icke books?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,600,555 times
[quote=antialphabet;8017350]It is no accident or coincidence.
They are trying to represent the same group of people, however with different causes and stances and focuses.

You guys need to get over your hang up on the phrase. It's been around since the civil rights era...it didn't pop during the illegal immigration debate. And it's not so much of a conspiracy as you are insinuating with your "accidents" or "coincidences".

Just like the Chinese Association of Omaha isn't the same thing as the Chinese Mafia.
Or maybe we should "pretend" that is just some kind of accident or coincidence too, huh?

I don't know....where I live there is a company called (and I kid you not) Karen's Kanine Kleanup. Coincidance? Unintentional? I don't know about you, but I read a little something into the name of that company. But maybe I am suspicious like that.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, lets pretend that most immigrants are not Spanish speaking. And while we are at it, lets pretend that all the different 'la raza' organizations either accidently or coincidentally chose the same phrase to be a part of their name. But whatever, any of them can and should put their federally funded budgets to actually helping spanish speaking immigrants by teaching them english as opposed to only organizing marches to protest ice raids.
I am sure that there are other immigrant groups as well. I know that there is a sudanese group that helps newcomers adjust to life in the us. I believe that there is one based through a church for the korean immigrants as well. As I said, I bet there are many.
If the economy doesn't rebound as quickly as we all hope, it could very well be that budgets will be cut and esl for adults may be one of the things to go. If so, I hope that the various immigrant groups will be able to rally and continue providing classes.
Agreed. LaRaza received 10 MILLION of our tax dollars during Bushes last term in office. They need to spend that money teaching their illiterate peasant masses English. Americans are sick and tired of them whining, demanding and expecting us to accomodate them and their worthless, uninvited and unwanted, illegal presence in our country.

The LaRaza motto is: "Everything for the race and for everyone else . . . nothing". They didn't remove their slogan from their racist website until Lou Dobbs called Janet the racist on it. They promptly removed it from their website and started a campaign to "clean up" their racist image and began pretending that LaRaza meant "the people". Funny thing about that (but not really) is they soley support hispanics and the illegal aliens of their raza. Every now and then when they are demanding amnesty they throw in a few other ethnicities to give their farce the appearance of having a little racial balance.

Sorry Laraza, and the rest of the mexican KKK, too little too late. Those 2006 marches spoke volumes and all of America heard you.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-23-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM

147 posts, read 211,604 times
[quote=camping!;8017968]
Quote:

I don't know....where I live there is a company called (and I kid you not) Karen's Kanine Kleanup. Coincidance? Unintentional? I don't know about you, but I read a little something into the name of that company. But maybe I am suspicious like that.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. LaRaza received 10 MILLION of our tax dollars during Bushes last term in office. They need to spend that money teaching their illiterate peasant masses English. Americans are sick and tired of them whining, demanding and expecting us to accomodate them and their worthless, uninvited and unwanted, illegal presence in our country.

The LaRaza motto is: "Everything for the race and for everyone else . . . nothing". They didn't remove their slogan from their racist website until Lou Dobbs called Janet the racist on it. They promptly removed it from their website and started a campaign to "clean up" their racist image and began pretending that LaRaza meant "the people". Funny thing about that (but not really) is they soley support hispanics and the illegal aliens of their raza. Every now and then when they are demanding amnesty they throw in a few other ethnicities to give their farce the appearance of having a little racial balance.

Sorry Laraza, and the rest of the mexican KKK, too little too late. Those 2006 marches spoke volumes and all of America heard you.
ding

if we are gonna call one of em out let's call em all out for what they really are, racists groups.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,989,045 times
Quote:
I'm not from New York, so I guess this doesn't affect me, but I don't know how one can compare teaching immigrants English to teaching Americans foreign languages.
If we really desire to keep English as our main language, and we want the immigrants to learn English, we have to encourage through programs like those being cut here.

People go around complaining about immigrants not wanting to speak English, and here's immigrants speaking up, showing their desire to speak English.
Based on our current immigration requirements, an immigrant must show proficiency in English BEFORE immigrating to the U.S., not learn it after they get here.

Of course, this doesn't pertain to the illegals...none of our immigration requirements/laws pertain to the illegals.

Personally, I don't want one penny of my taxes going to benefit people who broke our laws, thumbed their noses at our immigration requirements, hoisted their little butts across our border, and then stuck their hands out to grab the freebies. Let 'em learn English on their own.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 03-23-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,277,808 times
[quote=camping!;8017968]
Quote:

Maybe your suspicious, or maybe your deliberately ignoring what La Raza really means, and the history of the term, and the fact that it represents a group of people in this country that has several organizations based around that group.
It's as simple as that.
It's not even subtle.
How that compares to your dog groomer? I haven't the faintest...
Come on..you usually seem to have more common sense than this.

Last edited by antialphabet; 03-23-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,725,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Based on our current immigration requirements, an immigrant must show proficiency in English BEFORE immigrating to the U.S., not learn it after they get here.

Of course, this doesn't pertain to the illegals...none of our immigration requirements/laws pertain to the illegals.

Personally, I don't want one penny of my taxes going to benefit people who broke our laws, thumbed their noses at our immigration requirements, hoisted their little butts across our border, and then stuck their hands out to grab the freebies. Let 'em learn English on their own.
This is another big lie from the anti-immigrant crowd. You don't need to be proficient in English to immigrate to the U.S. Why do you think the government provides services in other languages apart from English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration