Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,380,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Blue Beard I don't disagree with all of your points. I simply disagree with rewarding criminal behavior no matter what form it takes. We are a just nation of just laws. Our immigration laws are fair by any measure and even if they were not that is not the point. We have a right to determine who may enter and who may not. Just as you do in your home. Would you be so accomidating if out of the blue I took up residence in your basement? If I helped myself to your food, your spare cash, and then demanded that you adjust your life style to accomidate mine? In essence is this not what illegals are doing?
I have friends and family who have lost their trades. Not because they are lazy but because they can not compete against illegal labor.
If someone shoplifts do we compromise with them by lowering the price? By making it okay to steal only 3 items instead of 4?
They made a choice to ignore our laws, our rights and without a doubt our feelings. They made the choice to live outside of being a respectable citizen. Let them answer for this mistake and be held accountable. Just as we would any other criminal.
Bravo tinman, perfect analogy and post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 PM

608 posts, read 921,094 times
If any kind of compromise were to be made, as stated many times before, anyone illegal that doesn't get included in the compromise will raise hell. Our nation's laws are clearly stated when it comes to illegally crossing into the USA...Let there be no compromise.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
If any kind of compromise were to be made, as stated many times before, anyone illegal that doesn't get included in the compromise will raise hell. Our nation's laws are clearly stated when it comes to illegally crossing into the USA...Let there be no compromise.
Agreed. Rewarding criminals for their crimes is never the solution.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,512,456 times
Bluebeard, I don’t object to a political compromise involving citizens of this country; and I am very much a proponent of democracy. However, the people you expect us to compromise with have no legal right to be here. If the police told you they had caught the thieves who burglarized your home, would you feel compelled to compromise with them? Would you offer them free room and board for a year for their efforts? Of course not!

You haven’t explained “why” we need to compromise with these people. The fact that they are illegally here, and number in the millions, does not justify simply folding our arms and rewarding them for their criminal behavior. They have done nothing to earn a compromise.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,730,010 times
Bluebeard, you must realize that extremists on both sides of the issue will never agree to a compromise.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,031,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Bluebeard, you must realize that extremists on both sides of the issue will never agree to a compromise.
No compromise needed.

Close/lock at least our southern border, cancel birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies, make English the official language for all official business with the exception of public health/safety issues as well as treat illegal aliens and those who aid/abet them as criminals.

Legal immigrants are welcome here.

Problem solved.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why should we? There is nothing extreme about wanting our sovereignty in tact and our laws obeyed.

After all, this IS OUR COUNTRY. We don't owe illegal aliens who broke in and continue to rob the US taxpayers blind anything. Beside compromising is inclusive of each side having something of amicable value to offer the other.

I think I can safely speak for the majority of Americans by offering the following compromise to all illegal aliens squatting in America:

If ALL illegal aliens leave now, take their anchors with them and never come back, Americans will promise to allow you to leave peacefully.

What does your side have to offer Americans?

Quote:
Compromise:

A committal to something derogatory or objectionable; a prejudicial concession; a surrender; as, a compromise of character or right.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-28-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,512,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Why should we? After all, this IS OUR COUNTRY. We don't owe illegal aliens who broke in and continue to rob the US taxpayers blind anything. Beside compromising is inclusive of each side having something of amicable value to offer the other.

What does your side have to offer Americans?
Bingo! Illegal aliens are not in a position to compromise. As a parent of a minor, I make the rules. If my son abides by my rules, all is well. If he disobeys me, he must suffer the consequences. I don’t want any kids (male or female) in my house when I or another responsible adult am not present; and I am NOT obligated to compromise with him.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Bingo! Illegal aliens are not in a position to compromise. As a parent of a minor, I make the rules. If my son abides by my rules, all is well. If he disobeys me, he must suffer the consequences. I don’t want any kids (male or female) in my house when I or another responsible adult am not present; and I am NOT obligated to compromise with him.
Exactly. Not only do they want a seat at the table, they want us to finance and cater the spread.

In return, I guess we should simply be grateful that our "uninvited guest" showed up. After all, in addition to being graced with their unlawful presence, we wouldn't know what to do with all of the food that would surely go to waste.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:27 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,634,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I just wanted to ask, posters of "both sides" of the issue, are you even open to a compromise on the complex resolution of illegal immigration? Are you willing to balance the needs of returning to a country of law-enforcement on the issue vs. humanitarian concerns? Or does each side think there viewpoint is unreconcilable.
Democracy is about compromise. If we cannot come to an agreement on the issue, on the valid concerns of all the stakeholders, then you are essentially against how democracy works. And discussion becomes near pointless.
Sorry, but no compromise is warranted or necessary. Our democracy is based on a system of laws. When those laws are broken by a citizen of this country, we have to pay the price. So when the laws are broken by illegals, they should also pay the price. This issue continues to circulate even though it is completely cut and dry. My suggestion to anyone who wishes to aid the illegals would be to assist them in making the trip home. Perhaps purchase them a bus ticket, and provide a little spending money for the trip and the subsequent search for new lodging. The issue is not complex at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration