Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,507,691 times

Advertisements

I guess next we’ll be told that illegal alien prisoners do the work citizen prisoners "won’t do."

Quote:
If you were to stop on a street corner anywhere in America and knowingly hire an illegal immigrant to do your laundry or clean your basement, you would be breaking the law.

But for years, the federal government has been paying immigration detainees $1 a day to perform menial work in the nation’s public and private detention centers.

“Why can the U.S. government hire undocumented immigrants? And not only hire them, but get a day’s work for a dollar?” said Brittney Nystrom, senior legal advisor at the National Immigration Forum, an immigrant advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. “It really is an absurdity.”
$1 a day for immigrants illegal on outside, just fine in jail | Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
No, what is an absurdity is this lawyer.
It is a requirement for prisoners who are incarcerated within the federal penetentiary system to work. If they do not work, then they do not get toilet paper, deordarant, toothpaste/toothbrushes, and combs much less any type of 'luxuary' item such as books, radios, tv etc... Of course they have to work to pay for their keep. All other federal prisoners are subjected to this rule, why not illegals? But, if this idea offends this lawyer so much, perhaps we ought to institute an automatic catch and release program -- no hearings, no lawyers no nothing. Just a quick bus/plane ride to whatever border is closest to the illegals home country and drop them off.

Maybe this lawyer is onto something, now that I think about it

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,377,989 times
The only "possible" justification they could have is that American prisoners are paid a token amount of money to do various odd jobs.

If it were up to me, chain gangs would be revived and those who are imprisoned (citizen or illegal alien) would be obligated to perform whatever jobs needed as restitution in exchange for the cost of their imprisonment.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-28-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 01:18 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The only "possible" justification they could have is that American prisoners are paid a token amount of money to do various odd jobs.

If it were up to me, chain gangs would be revived and those who are imprisoned (citizen or illegal alien) would be obligated to perform whatever jobs needed as restitution in exchange for the cost of their imprisonment.
You read my mind. Furthermore, who are we kidding? Taxpayers are paying for ALL of the “essentials” prisoners receive, in addition to the other costs associated with their incarceration; so why are they even being paid for working?

Today, prisoners are so pampered it’s pathetic. I have firsthand knowledge of this coddling. I worked at a psychiatric penal facility housing Mariel Cubans; and we were required to provide them with “culturally appropriate” food.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You read my mind. Furthermore, who are we kidding? Taxpayers are paying for ALL of the “essentials” prisoners receive, in addition to the other costs associated with their incarceration; so why are they even being paid for working?

Today, prisoners are so pampered it’s pathetic. I have firsthand knowledge of this coddling. I worked at a psychiatric penal facility housing Mariel Cubans; and we were required to provide them with “culturally appropriate” food.
Hate to disagree with you, but I do know for a fact that in the federal penetentiaries inmates are required to pay for their essentials such as toothpaste and deodorant as well as snacks, reading material and of course things like radios. Families of inmates can put money on the inmates 'book' but by and large the inmates have to work to earn the money to pay for what they need and/or want. And that would include illegals - who are also serving time in federal prisons.
Fair? Who cares? What is good for our criminal citizens is good for illegal criminals as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,131,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, what is an absurdity is this lawyer.
It is a requirement for prisoners who are incarcerated within the federal penetentiary system to work. If they do not work, then they do not get toilet paper, deordarant, toothpaste/toothbrushes, and combs much less any type of 'luxuary' item such as books, radios, tv etc... Of course they have to work to pay for their keep. All other federal prisoners are subjected to this rule, why not illegals? But, if this idea offends this lawyer so much, perhaps we ought to institute an automatic catch and release program -- no hearings, no lawyers no nothing. Just a quick bus/plane ride to whatever border is closest to the illegals home country and drop them off.

Maybe this lawyer is onto something, now that I think about it
Hey, thats a fantastic idea! No hearings, no lawyers and drop them at least 500 miles from our border.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

There is no pay difference between legal and non- legal. Priority over jobs take place on a point system of good/bad behavior. The more behavior problems, the less likely to get a job.

As far as the chain gangs, they are still used in some places when going out to say, the court. Other wise, while in the prison, there is a wall that surrounds the prison and prevents then from escaping. Chain gangs are a violation of human rights.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,377,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
There is no pay difference between legal and non- legal. Priority over jobs take place on a point system of good/bad behavior. The more behavior problems, the less likely to get a job.

As far as the chain gangs, they are still used in some places when going out to say, the court. Other wise, while in the prison, there is a wall that surrounds the prison and prevents then from escaping. Chain gangs are a violation of human rights.
Who said there was a pay difference between them? Please don't twist my words to suit your needs. Additionally, we all know there are walls surrounding them, that's why they are called prisons.

Speaking of the violation of human rights, so is murder, child molestation and the various other heinous crimes that criminals commit that lands them in jail. The crimes they commit dehumanizes their victims and violates their human rights and civil rights. As far as I'm concerned those who prey upon others are less than human and deserve worse treatment than simply being comfortably housed and fed at the expense of their victims, who are usually taxpayers forced to foot the bill.

So your point is?

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-28-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,821 times
Default chain gangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Chain gangs were (maybe still are) being utilized in Maricopa County when I left there in 2004. We often saw them cleaning garbage on the sides of the freeway. Not only were/are? there chain gangs, but they wore black and white stripes to boot!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,155,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Chain gangs were (maybe still are) being utilized in Maricopa County when I left there in 2004. We often saw them cleaning garbage on the sides of the freeway. Not only were/are? there chain gangs, but they wore black and white stripes to boot!
Chain gangs should be a requirement as part of a convicts rehab.
Its called a lesson in crime does not pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration