U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has delayed a series of proposed immigration raids and other enforcement actions at U.S. workplaces in recent weeks, asking agents in her department to apply more scrutiny to the selection and investigation of targets as well as the timing of raids, federal officials said.

A senior department official said the delays signal a pending change in whom agents at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement choose to prosecute -- increasing the focus on businesses and executives instead of ordinary workers.


washingtonpost.com

While I am happy that they are focusing on the employers, I don't see a problem with them continuing the raids and deportations as well. If we can fight two wars in 2 foreign countries, and assist mexico in a 3rd war on our borders simultaneously what's the problem with cracking down on the employers and deporting the illegals simultaneously?

After all, it's not hard to walk and chew gum at the same time. Anybody else smell the stench of LaRaza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
I read a similar article and winced.

Although; an angry enough public may very well force 'Nappy' (our nickname for Janet Napolitano here in Az) to backtrack quite quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
While I am happy that they are focusing on the employers, I don't see a problem with them continuing the raids and deportations as well. If we can fight two wars in 2 foreign countries, and assist mexico in a 3rd war on our borders simultaneously what's the problem with cracking down on the employers and deporting the illegals simultaneously?

After all, it's not hard to walk and chew gum at the same time. Anybody else smell the stench of LaRaza?
The stench is so nauseating I had to open a window. Remember, La Race was instrumental in the drafting of the last CIR shamnesty bill. No doubt they have their peddler hands all over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The stench is so nauseating I had to open a window. Remember, La Race was instrumental in the drafting of the last CIR shamnesty bill. No doubt they have their peddler hands all over this.
Indeed they do. Napolitano is only one of many duplicitous idiots who is not fit to govern. All we have to do is look at Arizona, kidnapping capital of the US for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Indeed they do. Napolitano is only one of many duplicitous idiots who is not fit to govern. All we have to do is look at Arizona, kidnapping capital of the US for reference.
In all fairness: the kidnappings here may signify a sense of desperation amongst the (dwindling numbers of) illegal aliens/coyotes.

One significant factor in the growing repo market in housing is the illegals being flushed out for various reasons.

In fact: my G/F just bought a house here in Phx that originally sold for over $200K 2 years ago---------------for $75K. We are just waiting for escrow to close, do some repairs and move in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: the kidnappings here may signify a sense of desperation amongst the (dwindling numbers of) illegal aliens/coyotes.

One significant factor in the growing repo market in housing is the illegals being flushed out for various reasons.

In fact: my G/F just bought a house here in Phx that originally sold for over $200K 2 years ago---------------for $75K. We are just waiting for escrow to close, do some repairs and move in
Whether it's a signal of desperation or not, it doesn't negate the fact that Arizona is still the kidnap capital of the US. As for the housing market, in light of the fact that the same situation you mention is occurring throughout the US, sorry but that is hardly a yardstick to gauge the departure of illegal aliens by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,003 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has delayed a series of proposed immigration raids and other enforcement actions at U.S. workplaces in recent weeks, asking agents in her department to apply more scrutiny to the selection and investigation of targets as well as the timing of raids, federal officials said.

A senior department official said the delays signal a pending change in whom agents at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement choose to prosecute -- increasing the focus on businesses and executives instead of ordinary workers.


washingtonpost.com

While I am happy that they are focusing on the employers, I don't see a problem with them continuing the raids and deportations as well. If we can fight two wars in 2 foreign countries, and assist mexico in a 3rd war on our borders simultaneously what's the problem with cracking down on the employers and deporting the illegals simultaneously?

After all, it's not hard to walk and chew gum at the same time. Anybody else smell the stench of LaRaza?
While i'm not happy with the delay of the raids, i'm somewhat happy they are adressing the issue of the employers who are hiring the illegal aliens in the first place. Mod cut:Inappropiate

Last edited by Travelling fella; 03-29-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17688
Illegal businesses that practice illegal hiring need to be fumigated, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
 
65 posts, read 146,803 times
Reputation: 45
Default Some Related News From New Jersey

Quote:
Corzine's panel backs moratorium on raids on undocumented immigrants

Posted by pcox March 30, 2009 11:55AM

A panel appointed by Gov. Jon Corzine to examine immigration policies in New Jersey today issued a number of recommendations handling undocumented immigrants, ranging from a moratorium on raids to creating an immigrant welcome center.


The panel also said the state should allow undocumented immigrants in New Jersey to drive legally, though only if the U.S. Department of Homeland Security approves. Corzine expressed less personal support for the driving proposal as he released the report at a news conference in Jersey City.


Other parts of the report advise the state to let undocumented immigrants benefit from lower in-state tuition rates for state universities; to toughen penalties for employers caught paying workers off-the-books; to stress that its public school systems not seek social-security numbers from parents of potential students; and to establish an immigrant welcome center, "either physical or virtual."



It also calls for a moratorium on raids by Immigration and Customs Enforcement on immigrants here illegally until immigration reform passes.
With the state and country in economic crisis, it is far from certain that any of the recommendations will be made law. Still, the report is expected to be highly controversial, with critics sure to argue that its recommendations provide multiple incentives for the estimated 400,000 immigrants in New Jersey stay here illegally to stay rather than return to their home countries.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...ts_drivin.html
Un-freakin-believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top