U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I am disgusted about this like all of the other posters. Of course an illegal alien should never be allowed to vote-but neither should a legal immigrant. While legal immigrants do follow the rules and come here the right way, they do not deserve all of the rights that American citizens do. They should not be allowed to vote.
I completely agree!!! No non-citizen should be allowed to vote and it is already happening in some places. I am and have been disgusted with this country and the fact that the citizens allow the government to do as they please, even if it means going against the constitution. I am disgusted at how the people in this country allows the constitution to be shredded before their very eyes and have for decades now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
OK whats the problem?
i thought we were talking about about legal residents here. its very telling that a "non citizen" is automatically put into the category as an illegal.

the reason i think this is referring to residents and other immigrants in the process of legalizing is because... if we dont even give them the right to drive, who in the hell is going to give them the right to vote?

these were my initial thoughts.

they i read the article and voila...

There's a variety of legal Maine residents who are not U.S. citizens, said Alfond, including doctors, refugees, students, hockey players and more.

they are in fact talking about lega residents.

read a lil more and voila:
"Specifics on the bill would need to be developed in the committee, but Alfond said he envisions it applying to immigrants who are here legally..."

do you guys even know what is being debated?

i would not have a problem with people who are legal residents having the right to vote in local/municipal elections.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
OK whats the problem?
i thought we were talking about about legal residents here. its very telling that a "non citizen" is automatically put into the category as an illegal.

the reason i think this is referring to residents and other immigrants in the process of legalizing is because... if we dont even give them the right to drive, who in the hell is going to give them the right to vote?

There's a variety of legal Maine residents who are not U.S. citizens, said Alfond, including doctors, refugees, students, hockey players and more.

"Specifics on the bill would need to be developed in the committee, but Alfond said he envisions it applying to immigrants who are here legally..."

i would not have a problem with people who are legal residents having the right to vote in local/municipal elections.
Surely you donít believe illegals have not been voting in our elections. Please explain what is stopping them. I know for a fact they have been voting in MD, courtesy of Motor Voter. As long as states continue to issue driverís licenses to illegals; and as long as the voter registration form is conveniently attached to the driverís license application, there is absolutely NOTHING preventing illegal aliens from voting.

Furthermore, illegal aliens have myriad fraudulent documentation at their disposal. They wonít have any problem qualifying as ďnon-citizens.Ē

Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM

but we are talking about residents here.

not illegals. if you want to talk about voter fraud, which is very very limited, then we can talk about that. but the issue at hand is giving people who are here as legal residents, who pay taxes, who support a local economy, giving those peopel a say in local politics.

whats the issue?

i could see if i was afraid a bunch of muslims wanted to institute sharia law. but that wouldnt happen. if it did, well its the will of the people. just like prop 8 was...

we cant always trust the people, but thats why we have the courts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Surely you donít believe illegals have not been voting in our elections. Please explain what is stopping them. I know for a fact they have been voting in MD, courtesy of Motor Voter. As long as states continue to issue driverís licenses to illegals; and as long as the voter registration form is conveniently attached to the driverís license application, there is absolutely NOTHING preventing illegal aliens from voting.

Furthermore, illegal aliens have myriad fraudulent documentation at their disposal. They wonít have any problem qualifying as ďnon-citizens.Ē

Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Bottom line:

Voting rights here are for US citizens only----------just like SoB, voting rights are for Mexican citizens.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 PM

608 posts, read 791,577 times
Agreed. Regardless of legal status, non-citizens should have ABSOLUTLY NO SAY in who can serve in any type of governent position. Only citizens can choose the direction of this nation, according to the US Constitution.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM

taxation without representation...

interesting.

these are productive, tax paying, contributors to their communities. bieng able to vote in for school board or whatever, seems fair enough citizens. do they also not have a say in the education their children recieve?

there are deeper more complex issues. im not advocating for all new residents to vote, but lets say these folk have been here for a period of time, like 3 years, and they can pass an english/civics test, but are still waiting for their papers to come thru, why not let them vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Agreed. Regardless of legal status, non-citizens should have ABSOLUTLY NO SAY in who can serve in any type of governent position. Only citizens can choose the direction of this nation, according to the US Constitution.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Quote:
but we are talking about residents here.

not illegals. if you want to talk about voter fraud, which is very very limited, then we can talk about that. but the issue at hand is giving people who are here as legal residents, who pay taxes, who support a local economy, giving those peopel a say in local politics.

whats the issue?

i could see if i was afraid a bunch of muslims wanted to institute sharia law. but that wouldnt happen. if it did, well its the will of the people. just like prop 8 was...

we cant always trust the people, but thats why we have the courts.
Perhaps something strange is happening to my computer, because I'm posting responses and they are mysteriously disappearing. This is the second today.

I'll post this response AGAIN.

Anything offered to legal immigrants will be abused by illegal aliens. Why are you trying to pretend illegals are paragons of virtue? Címon, their existence in this country depends on lying, cheating, and stealing.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,639 times
Quote:
OK whats the problem?

Well I certainly have a problem with non citizens, regardless of their legal status, being given the right to vote. If they want the right to vote, become a citizen.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,639 times
Quote:
taxation without representation...

interesting.

these are productive, tax paying, contributors to their communities. bieng able to vote in for school board or whatever, seems fair enough citizens. do they also not have a say in the education their children recieve?

there are deeper more complex issues. im not advocating for all new residents to vote, but lets say these folk have been here for a period of time, like 3 years, and they can pass an english/civics test, but are still waiting for their papers to come thru, why not let them vote?
NO. Plain and simple. One of the great triumphs to becoming a citizen is acquiring the right to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or