U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What upsets you the most about illegal immigration?
Abetting by omission of the government 7 12.07%
Diferent law enforcement for citizens vs illegals 7 12.07%
Overcrowding of schools/services 3 5.17%
Growing spanish usage 3 5.17%
Their entitlement attitude 15 25.86%
Their massive numbers 3 5.17%
Welfare/Resource drain 12 20.69%
Crime 6 10.34%
Job loss 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM

236 posts, read 335,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its about all kinds. The hispanics get the most attention because they constitute 50% or more of the problem.
Understood tinman01! Thank you! I do share your concern. It is really sad that there is lack of effective tools for stopping, preventing and controlling the illegal immigration to your country. Never been to United States but sure that this issue is serious one. Maybe you should use your right of legislative initiatives through your state's representatives and senators in Congress? Or gather in an initiative group and prepare a package of suggestions to your State Senate. Plus you can arrange voluntary courses for those who want to integrate into your society. I know you have ESL courses almost everywhere, but you can conduct trainings to immigrants in your community. Prepare a project and apply for a grant. But first you need to establish an NGO.
Sorry for so many advices but consider them as kind suggestions.
I am dealing with similar issues here in Baku and work as Director at one of NGOs so have a little experience...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Understood tinman01! Thank you! I do share your concern. It is really sad that there is lack of effective tools for stopping, preventing and controlling the illegal immigration to your country. Never been to United States but sure that this issue is serious one. Maybe you should use your right of legislative initiatives through your state's representatives and senators in Congress? Or gather in an initiative group and prepare a package of suggestions to your State Senate. Plus you can arrange voluntary courses for those who want to integrate into your society. I know you have ESL courses almost everywhere, but you can conduct trainings to immigrants in your community. Prepare a project and apply for a grant. But first you need to establish an NGO.
Sorry for so many advices but consider them as kind suggestions.
I am dealing with similar issues here in Baku and work as Director at one of NGOs so have a little experience...
Hello and welcome to the forum Paul so do you work in a NGO? that's very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience and viewpoints

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM

Thank you dear friend! And you are welcome!
I know that it could sound a bit insolent cause I don't live there, but please don't feel insulted... Thought that you might be interested in a viewpoint from over the ocean

Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Thank you dear friend! And you are welcome!
I know that it could sound a bit insolent cause I don't live there, but please don't feel insulted... Thought that you might be interested in a viewpoint from over the ocean
I don't live in the USA either hehehe, this forum has lots of visitors from all over the world, and the different view points are what enhance this place.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 PM

That is great then! Thank you Travelling fella!
Don't like to give unclaimed advices. I really like this forum!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 AM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Even though i voted different law enforcement for illegals, the one that affects me the most is the growing spanish usage. I'm a bank teller and it bothers me to death when someone comes up to my counter and cant understand half of what i'm telling them. Yes the majority of these folks are legal but this spanish problem was mostly created by ILLEGAL immigration. I'm sorry but I believe that if you feel that you have a place in the US and want to be here you learn English, simple and plain.

The sad thing is that the banking industry really encourages illegal immigration. A tax-id # and a conseular ID and you can have an account at any major national bank, not to mention that in some areas if you dont speak spanish you wont get as much as a sniff for any job in a branch. I used to dream of a career in banking but now i cant in good conscience continue a career in that field knowing i'll probably be asked to do things i dont believe in such as opening accounts for illegals, learning spanish out of force, and accepting foreign IDs that may be fraudlent. I already compromise my beliefs about illegal immigration on a daily basis and it is really leaving me with stressful nights.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
What upsets me most about illegal immigration is the terrifying long-term consequences to the U.S. for the misguided compassion, greed, and apathy toward the flood of 3rd-world losers who will do anything (meaning break any laws they have to) so that they can feed off Americans.

Whether it's greedy corporations, desperate small business owners, apathetic citizens, or compassionate liberals, the fact is that we're allowing millions of uneducated, impoverished peasants to build huge communities in the U.S. and completely change our culture, environment and economic health. Their parasitic need for U.S. citizens to take care of their ridiculous numbers of children is helping to close down emergency rooms, overcrowd and overburden schools, and contribute to state deficits (think California here).

And yet, it seems there's no end to it. Rational thought doesn't seem to win out over greed and misguided compassion.

As a 38-year-old woman, I'm frightened of what this country might be like when I'm 70. My vision is that it will be comprised of huge numbers of Spanish-speaking poor, who outnumber middle-class and upper middle-class Americans as much as 4:1. Slums and ghettos resembling that of Tijuana will outnumber communities with green lawns and well-kept homes. The high school dropout rate will be 60% (as it is now in Los Angeles). As a matter of fact, I think Los Angeles is a microcosym of what's to come in the U.S.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 04-01-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
What upsets me most about illegal immigration is the terrifying long-term consequences to the U.S. for the misguided compassion, greed, and apathy toward the flood of 3rd-world losers who will do anything (meaning break any laws they have to) so that they can feed off Americans.

Whether it's greedy corporations, desperate small business owners, apathetic citizens, or compassionate liberals, the fact is that we're allowing millions of uneducated, impoverished peasants to build huge communities in the U.S. and completely change our culture, environment and economic health. Their parasitic need for U.S. citizens to take care of their ridiculous numbers of children is helping to close down emergency rooms, overcrowd and overburden schools, and contribute to state deficits (think California here).

And yet, it seems there's no end to it. Rational thought doesn't seem to win out over greed and misguided compassion.

As a 38-year-old woman, I'm frightened of what this country might be like when I'm 70. My vision is that it will be comprised of huge numbers of Spanish-speaking poor, who outnumber middle-class and upper middle-class Americans as much as 4:1. Slums and ghettos resembling that of Tijuana will outnumber communities with green lawns and well-kept homes. The high school dropout rate will be 60% (as it is now in Los Angeles). As a matter of fact, I think Los Angeles is a microcosm of what's to come in the U.S.
In all fairness: with Mexico's birthrate at 2.3 and dropping; in another 20 years there may be very few Spanish speakers under age 25. Spain is another Hispanic nation where the birthrate is now below the replacement level of 2.1 children.

And; with the growing anti illegal alien sentiment here---------there will likely be a mass exodus of Mexicans (green card holders as well as illegals) back home.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: with Mexico's birthrate at 2.3 and dropping; in another 20 years there may be very few Spanish speakers under age 25. Spain is another Hispanic nation where the birthrate is now below the replacement level of 2.1 children.

And; with the growing anti illegal alien sentiment here---------there will likely be a mass exodus of Mexicans (green card holders as well as illegals) back home.

Maybe the birthrate in Mexico and Spain is decreasing, but the birthrate to illegal immigrants in the U.S. is higher than that of any other race or ethnicity (in the U.S.). I don't know the reason why illegal immigrants have high numbers of children while living in the U.S., but I can take an educated guess.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

As a 38-year-old woman, I'm frightened of what this country might be like when I'm 70. My vision is that it will be comprised of huge numbers of Spanish-speaking poor, who outnumber middle-class and upper middle-class Americans as much as 4:1. Slums and ghettos resembling that of Tijuana will outnumber communities with green lawns and well-kept homes. The high school dropout rate will be 60% (as it is now in Los Angeles). As a matter of fact, I think Los Angeles is a microcosym of what's to come in the U.S.

Sadly, I don't think your scenario is totally unreasonable. You'll be scoffed at, called an 'alarmist', or accused of wearing a 'tinfoil hat'....but after THAT is over, the basic 'sense' of what you state remains.... if not as a certainty, at the very least, as a VERY likely future for this country. It's much easier to explain how and why such a negative situation COULD happen, than to try to make the case for why it "won't"....Why WON'T it? Will we make a sudden 'change of direction' sometime soon? VERY unlikely, I'd say. Nope, what you envision is VERY likely where we're headed, in one way or another...an increasingly chaotic, divided, ethnically-disconnected collection of 'interest groups', each group jealous of the others. As the Third World gets more like the 'West' each year, WE continue to get more and more like them.

Thoughful post....not pleasant reading, but there's MUCH reason to think you're correct in your predictions...brought on, just as you say, by an unwholesome mixture of misplaced compassion, greed, and a totally childish fascination with some vaguely-understood notion of 'multiculturalism'.

Huge, decades-long changes in society are similar to MY old job, that of steering a ship at sea. Once trends start, they can't just be instantly reversed. The downward trend in our society MAY just be irreversible....if not now, soon, it will be too late to 'recover'. No society that I'M aware of ever got a "second chance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration