U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You don't need to prove yourself to them.

I know what you are going through is not easy. Just take it one day at a time. It sounds like you make good money. I really think it would be a wise investment to talk to your lawyer about how you can get a driver's license. There has to be a way.

In their defense, I think they're just very passionate about the topic. So much so that everything is black and white to them and there are no shades of gray. I am a strong proponent of immigration reform but I don't think it's as clear cut as "get all the illegals out".

You and your family have worked hard and soon enough, things will get better. Keep the faith and in the meantime, keep that bus pass handy!!
Remember in all fairness: if we were dealing with ca. 300-500K illegal aliens; that would be one thing---------an estimated 12 million is way too many and those idiotic illegal 'immigrants' rights marches May 2006 enraged too many Americans/green card holders.

 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
... The U.S.A. IS is his country. When you're 4 and your parents take you to a foreign country and that's where you live for the next 15 years of your life, then let us know if what you're saying makes any friggin' sense. He pays his taxes and sounds like a model citizen. That's more than I can say for some who were born here.
Wrong! The United States is NOT his country! Said poster stated he/she was brought here as a 4 year old...that means he/she came from another country. Regardless of the fact that the parents were at fault for overstaying their visas, their children are illegal. Despite the fact they have valid SSN this does NOT mean they are Americans. NO ILLEGAL should be given citizenship just because they are already here.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Reputation: 2377
Forgot to say this: I'm so sick of hearing, "They don't KNOW the country they were born in, they only know the US." Well, duh, illegals don't know the United States but does that stop them from coming up here?
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,747,253 times
Reputation: 966
I wish some people here would stop arguing that paying taxes gives an illegal immigrant the right to citizenship. That's absurd.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 13,713,973 times
Reputation: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Wrong! The United States is NOT his country!
Yeah it is.

Quote:
Said poster stated he/she was brought here as a 4 year old...that means he/she came from another country.
You are right.

Quote:
Regardless of the fact that the parents were at fault for overstaying their visas, their children are illegal.
Ok, I agree with that statement, too. You forgot to say that the parents are also illegal, and that they are the ones that broke the law. But if you want to blame a 4 year-old, too, go ahead.

Quote:
Despite the fact they have valid SSN this does NOT mean they are Americans.
Yup, you're right about that too. He's not an American, yet, but it doesn't mean that the U.S. isn't his country.

Quote:
NO ILLEGAL should be given citizenship just because they are already here.
I agree with that, too.

I see citzenship and belonging as two separate things. You see plenty of people who have lived in the U.S. all their lives - LEGALLY - and never get their citizenship. They've grown accustomed the their life here and that makes the U.S. their country - even if they aren't a citizen. In the OP's case, just add two more letters to "legally" but the situation is the same.

The U.S.A. is the OP's country. He may not be a citizen and yes, he is illegal. You can chose to ignore all the other facts that he's provided for y'all but the fact of the matter remains he's not "one of those" illegals who hold marches and protest to legalize all illegals. The OP is TRYING TO MAKE IT RIGHT by going through the legal channels. He's not asking for immunity. HE'S PAYING TO BECOMING LEGAL and going through the proper channels. He's trying to get right by the mistakes of his parents.

You can respond with whatever you like but I'm done with this circular argument. You people see things how you want to see it and quite honestly I can't persuade you to my side and you sure as heck aren't going to persuade me to yours. Besides, we're off-topic.

And since we're off-topic, I just want to make one more point: I am a naturalized citizen but I bet you if you ever met me (and you've probably met plenty like me) you'd still see me as a foreigner instead of an American.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm sorry, but my heart doesn't bleed for you. You and your family are NOT "practically American citizens" because all of you are in this country illegally, and the social security numbers you have are not valid (they were obtained illegally).

Overstaying a visa and then illegally obtaining a social security number and then paying taxes DOES NOT make one worthy of U.S. citizenship.
Everthing about your life here in the U.S. is a lie. And you have a lot of nerve coming on this forum and posting your whiny plea for us to help you continue your farce. You're actually asking people to tell you how to get around the legalities of obtaining a driver's license!

You really have a lot of nerve.
Truer words were never spoken. Just think there are millions of them here drooling at the thought of amnesty affording them the opportunity to destroy what remains of us and our country.

Excellent post.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
Reputation: 5210
want to get your citizenship the easy way, and legally?

then join the US military and serve honorably the whole term.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,490 posts, read 5,049,920 times
Reputation: 1598
I hope you can legally correct your status.

But, I don't have a lot of sympathy for TNTs ("Tago ng tago" means "Hide and Hide" in Tagalog).

I spent a lot of time and money dealing with INS to legally bring my spouse and her mother to this country. TNTs make it extremely difficult if not impossible for average Filipinos to get visas to the USA especially for a tourist visa.

We had an much easier time getting her sister and a neice tourist visas to Germany so they could visit us when we were stationed there.

The Philippines being our former possession I'd love to see increased immigration quotas but TNTs screw it up for everybody.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I just want to make sure that the point I was trying to make is indeed the same point you were trying to make, 'cuz I'm doubtful.

My point:
If
SSN and/or ITIN = Paying taxes, and
OP = Paying taxes, then
SSN and/or ITIN = OP
That is what I meant by semantics. Who cares what you call it. The OP said he's got one and contributes to society as a citizen, even if he isn't legally one yet.

However, I think the point you're trying to make is:
SSN = Legal Citizen,
ITIN = Non-citizen, and
OP = Illegal, therefore
nothing equals and he should be deported
So I believe your point is the same as the other dude's which is: "Go back to the country that you were born in even though you left when you were 4, lived in the States for 15 years, and I don't care that living in the States illegally is no fault of your own; I just want all illegals out because every single one of them is what's wrong with society."

Well, I'm just conjecturing what your reason is for advising the OP to leave the U.S. when this is the only way of life he knows.

Anyway, I don't think I made your point but I apologize to the OP. I am off-topic.
That which I bolded is precisely how I feel and what I want to happen to every single illegal alien and illegally usurping 14th Amendment anchor baby in this country.

That being said, it's not my fault that he has been in this country illegally since the age of 4. You, the OP, every DREAMie and anyone else whose criminal parents made them accessories to their crimes would be better served by directing any and all anger, hostility and ill will towards those who are responsible for your illegality,confusion and nomadic existence; namely YOUR PARENTS.

We the US taxpayers owe none of you jack.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I hope you can legally correct your status.

But, I don't have a lot of sympathy for TNTs ("Tago ng tago" means "Hide and Hide" in Tagalog).

I spent a lot of time and money dealing with INS to legally bring my spouse and her mother to this country. TNTs make it extremely difficult if not impossible for average Filipinos to get visas to the USA especially for a tourist visa.

We had an much easier time getting her sister and a neice tourist visas to Germany so they could visit us when we were stationed there.

The Philippines being our former possession I'd love to see increased immigration quotas but TNTs screw it up for everybody.
I will admit it would not hurt my feelings to see looser legal immigrant requirements for nations that used to be US colonies...............till that is changed---------said nationals need to follow the rules of any other applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top