U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM

147 posts, read 186,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What is so damn weird is that many so-called 'Latinos' are clearly Black (dark skin, kinky hair, wide noses and big lips)---------Puerto Ricans and Dominicans both come to mind.

Yes we do, but in MY experience, many people don't like US. This includes Dominicans and African Americans..Again, just MY experience. Please don't jump all over this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
Yes we do, but in MY experience, many people don't like US. This includes Dominicans and African Americans..Again, just MY experience. Please don't jump all over this..
Can you clarify who “US” is? Also, why are you generalizing? I’m black (not African-American), and I have many black relatives, friends, and colleagues who do NOT fit your description. I relate to EVERYONE on an individual basis, and judge them according to their character; not skin color, ethnicity, or anything superficial.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,915,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I had an experience which lends some truth to your statement about Latinos being prejudiced against Blacks. I went shopping with a friend of mine from Nigeria. On the way home, we decided to stop at the cafeteria of the college where I teach to get some dinner. The woman who runs the cash register is an illegal, as is the man who manages the dining room. The woman looked at my friend as though she were an alien and said "No." I asked for the manager. They both stood there and stared at my friend, telling me over and over--while staring at her--"No. Sorry." Both of these people have seen me in the cafeteria on several occasions. I had my I.D. card, and faculty are certainly allowed to bring guests to the cafeteria. I couldn't believe it. We finally left. I don't know why I didn't call the campus police--their offices are only one floor down from the cafeteria. I think I was just so flabbergasted that I didn't have the presence of mind to do so.

A lot of Latinos voted for Obama--but since they know that he has plans to offer them citizenship, they were no doubt willing to overlook his race.
Speaking from personal experience, I have found that it is not all hispanics that are racist against Black Americans. It is primarily mexicans and Americans of mexican descent that are racist against Black Americans. I have had my share of negative/racist experiences with them, but never experienced racism from Puerto Ricans or Americans of Cuban descent. I have a strong feeling that they are jealous that Blacks and Puerto Ricans are automatically citizens of the US and Cubans have the wet foot dry foot policy in their favor. Frankly put: They want what we have, automatic citizenship and all of the rights afforded by it.

That being said, it's no secret mexican racism against blacks has always been palpable. As for Obama, I have no doubt that LaRaza convinced them that a vote for him was a vote for amnesty. They don't do anything that doesn't benefit "the race".

Quote:
"I've had friends, individuals [who are] blacks, and we've gotten along fine. But as a community I just don't trust them," Daniela, a caller from Mar Vista, shared with listeners. "To have a black president would, I don't know … what that would do. I don't know, the black community would just rise up and would feel like it owned the entire country!"How years of simmering tensions between California's Latinos and African Americans will play out in the presidential race is a hotly contested matter.
"Many Latinos are still reluctant to vote for an African-American candidate, period," says Jaime Regalado, a political science professor at California State University, Los Angeles.
"A lot of it's based on, let's be frank, prejudicial, racial stereotypes and feelings. I had them in my own family, with my dad. So they're not far removed," he says.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18375165

Last edited by JDubsMom; 04-18-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Speaking from personal experience, I have found that it is not all hispanics that are racist against Black Americans. It is primarily mexicans and Americans of mexican descent that are racist against Black Americans. I have had my share of negative/racist experiences with them, but never experienced racism from Puerto Ricans or Americans of Cuban descent. I have a strong feeling that they are jealous that Blacks and Puerto Ricans are automatically citizens of the US and Cubans have the wet foot dry foot policy in their favor.

That being said, it's no secret mexican racism against blacks has always been palpable. As for Obama, I have no doubt that LaRaza convinced them that a vote for him was a vote for amnesty. They don't do anything that doesn't benefit "the race".
They would vote for the devil if he promised amnesty. Obama did exactly what he had to do to get their votes. After all, hes a politician.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,915,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They would vote for the devil if he promised amnesty. Obama did exactly what he had to do to get their votes. After all, he’s a politician.
I couldn't agree more. I am actually beginning to doubt their over zealous viva laraza/mexico, flag waiving alleged loyalty to mexico.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 AM

147 posts, read 186,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Can you clarify who US is? Also, why are you generalizing? Im black (not African-American), and I have many black relatives, friends, and colleagues who do NOT fit your description. I relate to EVERYONE on an individual basis, and judge them according to their character; not skin color, ethnicity, or anything superficial.

I prefaced by sayin that "In my experience" I have come across many 'black' people as well as Dominican people who do not like us, 'Us' meaning Puerto Ricans. You may take offense to that, and I'm sorry, but it is a fact in MY life. I would however like to know how I am generalizing when I CLEARLY said "In my experience" and I did NOT say ALL balcks or Dominicans? I, also treat people as individuals. Unfortunately, not everyone does. Would you agree that there are people who do not like black people? Can you understand my point now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or