Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Actually most of the "w e t b a c k s" in the US in the early 50s were the result of deliberate federal and state government activity. Basically the Mexicans had stopped the Bracero program and the US and Texas government responded by an open border policy to attract the required workers.

There was strong union opposition to the policy.

It is also reasonably clear that the programs greatest success was as a public relations release. The Feds had great fun with the numbers in a whole mess of dimensions. Truth was not served .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Truth was not served .
Coming from you that's a 'rich' comment. I deleted a post I made in response to your 'truth' in another thread because you pissed me off enough to lose my temper.

Now you just make me ill...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Coming from you that's a 'rich' comment. I deleted a post I made in response to your 'truth' in another thread because you pissed me off enough to lose my temper.

Now you just make me ill...
Hey that may be good for you...help you get rid of your bile...

Don't care for truth? Life is hard.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Hey that may be good for you...help you get rid of your bile...

Don't care for truth? Life is hard.
I've known all my life that life is hard. I've been working in construction and other trades for almost 40 years. I've seen my paycheck shrink and shrink and shrink some more because of criminal employers hiring illegal labor so they could live in their own little McMansion in some gated community where they wouldn't have to mingle with the riff-raff.

What really irks me about your condescending attitude is the obvious fact that you've never worked a 'sweat' job in your life, and don't give a rat's a$$ about those of us that do. It's become downright impossible for me to pay for my children to go to college, in fact it's become necessary for my family to take food stamps in order to survive. I am no longer a 'productive' member of society, because I now get back from Uncle Sam more money than I give him every year. The EIC is the only thing between my family and destitution, SO DON'T PREACH TO ME ABOUT HOW HARD LIFE IS!!

I'd tell you what I really think of you but I don't want to have to delete ANOTHER post.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I've known all my life that life is hard. I've been working in construction and other trades for almost 40 years. I've seen my paycheck shrink and shrink and shrink some more because of criminal employers hiring illegal labor so they could live in their own little McMansion in some gated community where they wouldn't have to mingle with the riff-raff.

What really irks me about your condescending attitude is the obvious fact that you've never worked a 'sweat' job in your life, and don't give a rat's a$$ about those of us that do. It's become downright impossible for me to pay for my children to go to college, in fact it's become necessary for my family to take food stamps in order to survive. I am no longer a 'productive' member of society, because I now get back from Uncle Sam more money than I give him every year. The EIC is the only thing between my family and destitution, SO DON'T PREACH TO ME ABOUT HOW HARD LIFE IS!!

I'd tell you what I really think of you but I don't want to have to delete ANOTHER post.
What I have or have not done is not relevant to this discussion. Actually it is none of your business.

I am very sorry you have fallen on hard times. That is bad duty however it happens.

I would note that the Hispanic community in Las Vegas is taking a terrible beating of just that sort do to the collapse of the residental construction industry. Probably the only segment here really being forced onto the dole and such to survive.

I would however point out that the hispanic grouping including the illegals do sweat and very hard for their livlihood.

If you wish to take steps against those who hire the illegals and thereby make profits go for it. I might well support your view. But what has this to do with the very sweaty workers who are here working hard if illegal? You propose to blame and punish those who are close to innocent because you cannot get at those who did it.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
What I have or have not done is not relevant to this discussion. Actually it is none of your business.

I am very sorry you have fallen on hard times. That is bad duty however it happens.

I would note that the Hispanic community in Las Vegas is taking a terrible beating of just that sort do to the collapse of the residental construction industry. Probably the only segment here really being forced onto the dole and such to survive.

I would however point out that the hispanic grouping including the illegals do sweat and very hard for their livlihood.

If you wish to take steps against those who hire the illegals and thereby make profits go for it. I might well support your view. But what has this to do with the very sweaty workers who are here working hard if illegal? You propose to blame and punish those who are close to innocent because you cannot get at those who did it.
No; I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants and especially their enablers-------it is high time for a national law similar to Oklahoma's but with teeth!

If it means seizure of the assets of the employers who flagrantly break the law several times, so be it.

As it stands: there is a little law called the RICO Act which; for some reason, the Mafia is petrified of.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
As if you need me to point it out, if there weren't several million illegals undercutting my wages I would be able to manage quite nicely. They don't work any harder or sweat any more than I or the millions of American workers they've replaced, they just do it CHEAPER.

There is nothing innocent about people who are hiking through deserts to cross the border in the middle of the night. They KNOW what they're doing is illegal, yet they do it anyway. They know the jobs they will get will adversely impact native workers, but they don't care. Most illegal workers had jobs back home before they came here, it's just that these jobs pay more money than those.

Greed becomes the motivator for the illegal employer AND the illegal employee.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
As if you need me to point it out, if there weren't several million illegals undercutting my wages I would be able to manage quite nicely. They don't work any harder or sweat any more than I or the millions of American workers they've replaced, they just do it CHEAPER.

There is nothing innocent about people who are hiking through deserts to cross the border in the middle of the night. They KNOW what they're doing is illegal, yet they do it anyway. They know the jobs they will get will adversely impact native workers, but they don't care. Most illegal workers had jobs back home before they came here, it's just that these jobs pay more money than those.

Greed becomes the motivator for the illegal employer AND the illegal employee.
I would very much doubt that the average illegal construction worker has any knowledge of the impact of his employment on some subset of the native workers. I am not even sure it is true. The Hispanics workers here are pretty well paid. They are not neccessarily illegal...in fact most are not. They don't make union wage as on the strip but the do better than $20 per hour. They simple have become the workers of choice for residental constructrion. The strip by the same token is dominated by union contractors paying union scale. The vast majority are caucasian and they continue to flock from the midwest. At least up to the last quarter there was still extensive hiring going on for strip construction.

To provide for ones family by whatever means reasonable is not immoral even if illegal. "Criminal", "immoral" etc...are all inappropriate references to the illegal immigrant.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM

You haven't got a CLUE about construction wages in homebuilding. If you think those guys are making $20 an hour your doing some REALLY good drugs. Most skilled workers are making $12 -$16 an hour, while the unskilled are getting $8 to $12. All it takes is a quick look through the classifieds of the RJ or Sun to know that your figures are totally bogus.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You haven't got a CLUE about construction wages in homebuilding. If you think those guys are making $20 an hour your doing some REALLY good drugs. Most skilled workers are making $12 -$16 an hour, while the unskilled are getting $8 to $12. All it takes is a quick look through the classifieds of the RJ or Sun to know that your figures are totally bogus.
One does not hire subs from the RJ. Going rate for pickup labor at Star is 10 or 12. Was getting up to 15 last fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration