Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You can try to spin all you want but the facts are still the facts. It still amazes me how far people will spin to make the illegals look special and good for us. Sheeesh!!!
Exactly, facts are facts. How was my saying that poorer countries are more exploited (a fact that both sides knows is true) making illegal immigrants look good or special?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Aren't illegal immigrants people? These are not excuses. These are simply commonly held views on the framework for immigration from the global south to the global north. You realize that laws are not sent by God. We can change them. A better perspective on the situation is needed.
We are a sovereign nation and we have the right (under international law) to let in whom we see fit-----------illegal aliens need not apply.

As for the Third World: one thing often overlooked is since the death rate has been tumbling over the last 50 years; their populations are exploding----------now, it is high time for said societies to control their breeding. Mexico has done so along with Iran and many others.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Does it justify exploitation and the general neglect for workers rights and decent working conditions? Does it justify unfair trade? The farmer in Rwanda that grows your coffee makes significantly less than the middleman that sells it to Starbucks.

Yes, AZBear, the entire world should be grateful of Europeans and Americans showing blessing us with your infinite grace. Without it we all would be poor savages without a clue. We would not have a hard work ethic and be miserable.

Most of the profits from imports to America end up in America (the companies that produce things in other nations have significant amounts of investment from American corporations). So yes, the third world is in a financial hostage situation. If we continue to sell to the US that gives money at the price of killing local industries (see Jamaica's textile industry) and also gross neglect in the workplace (stay cheap to be competitive).

Because of these along with many other factors...the citizens of the global south come to Europe and America illegally. It's not because of any moral bankruptcy or lack of law. It becomes that the system that has been in place due to a history of colonial and neo-colonial exploits has essentially benefited the West and the elite of the global south. The common person has suffered due to this system. Thus, countries like Mexico and Brazil have a very small middle class population.

So basically you blame America, the West and a few rich in Mexico for the plight of the entire planet. Got it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So basically you blame America, the West and a few rich in Mexico for the plight of the entire planet. Got it.
Well, it led to the current system. We're no angels. Nor are the people in power in Mexico. You can be sarcastic, you can be snide, but it won't change the fact that as the world's biggest consumers we control most of the world's wealth. Who we like, we give money to. This money is not seen by the masses. Only the elite see this money.

Colonialism secured the West as the dominating power, for better or worse. So yeah, as the world power, we are responsible for the winds of economic development. We are responsible for a lot of what goes on in the world. I don't know why you or AZ are so hellbent on trying to make this out to be some huge point of contention. It's not. It's simply fact. Take a more global perspective.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
We are a sovereign nation and we have the right (under international law) to let in whom we see fit-----------illegal aliens need not apply.

As for the Third World: one thing often overlooked is since the death rate has been tumbling over the last 50 years; their populations are exploding----------now, it is high time for said societies to control their breeding. Mexico has done so along with Iran and many others.
We do have the right, but what I'm asking is how do we go about doing what's best for all parties involved. Not just the US.

Depends on the nation in terms of deathrate. Zambia was about 50-60, now it's in the mid 30s. Southern Africa kind of has a little problem...AIDS.
Many multi-national pharmaceutical companies sue generic brands in the developing world. This increases the price of medicines...also the pill. Condoms are expensive as well. Much American aid is only going towards abstinence. Even for AIDS, more non-profits teach abstinance than safe sex. Remember a dollar in many parts of the world is the difference between eating for the day or not. Here, a dollar is nothing. My kid nephew found $10 in change around the house. There is abundance in the West. Remeber that.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
And people say I spin things...geez.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
Quote:
Most of the problems in Africa and other poorer countries ultimately are caused by corruption of their own government officials. No matter how much people like that1guy want to spin it. The West has been giving hundreds of billions in AID to these countries that never goes to help the average person there. That is not the fault of West but of their governments and leaders.

Anyways, I don't know how a topic on cutting of services to illegals turned to colonization. Maybe we should get back on topic?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
We do have the right, but what I'm asking is how do we go about doing what's best for all parties involved. Not just the US.

Depends on the nation in terms of deathrate. Zambia was about 50-60, now it's in the mid 30s. Southern Africa kind of has a little problem...AIDS.
Many multi-national pharmaceutical companies sue generic brands in the developing world. This increases the price of medicines...also the pill. Condoms are expensive as well. Much American aid is only going towards abstinence. Even for AIDS, more non-profits teach abstinance than safe sex. Remember a dollar in many parts of the world is the difference between eating for the day or not. Here, a dollar is nothing. My kid nephew found $10 in change around the house. There is abundance in the West. Remeber that.
As for what is going on with AIDS in 'Black' Africa; if anything, the infection rate is declining because people there are starting to wake up and learn a thing or two.

Again: we owe the Third World nothing. If anything; quite a few of the indigenous people there (especially Africa) kind of wish the Euros were back in charge----------apparently, that is how bad the 'local talent' is.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 PM

439 posts, read 616,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Good and about time!!!

Why don't yall just gas them too? Put a big yellow A for Aliens and send them concentration camps and gas them. Women and Children also. would this make you feel better?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Why don't yall just gas them too? Put a big yellow A for Aliens and send them concentration camps and gas them. Women and Children also. would this make you feel better?
Funny how your only means of defense is to turn this situation into something it's not. Your comparisons to the Holocaust are completely unfounded and frankly, just out there. I suppose you would have us continue to be slack in our responsibilities to this country and the laws we live under. I suppose we should just sit back and continue to allow the invasion to continue without taking any steps to thwart the usurpers. Why should the illegals be immune from providing the same documentation required for Americans to receive services? Why should Americans have to deal with all the normal red tape if those who aren't even supposed to be here don't have to? No need to answer because the answer is plain to any naturally born American citizen.

We all have to live by the very same rules that you are basically calling crimes against humanity. By this reasoning, we should all feel the same way anytime we are asked for our ID. How dare they try to insure I am who I say I am before turning on services which I am expected to pay for. Without some assurance of who you are supplying services to, there is no way to insure accountability for any losses that may result from providing an undocumented person with said service. These are very basic principles Americans are used to living by, so I see no reason to change those principles to make things easier for those living here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration