Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
More than a dysfunctional culture AB, you have to remember that Mexico lived under a defacto dictatorship, until 02-07-2000 when Vicente Fox won the elections and democracy started, before this, the average citizen, didin't have a say in the government's decisions or felt represented by them, these changes started with Zedillo's term, that slowly gave more freedoms and participation to citizens, he also paved the way for democracy and Fox's arrival, Fox's term was a transitory period where important changes were made, like economic estability, yet few reforms were made during his presidency, due to inmaturity from part of congress, and lack of experience of having to work in a democratic society, combined with Fox's lack of diplomacy or experience. Yet the progresses made in 9 years of Democracy have been remarkable.

Even though Argentina's percapita is similar to Mexico's the Mexican society and economy is in much better shape than theirs, progressive Latin American countries like Mexico, Chile and Brazil, have reached economical stability that argentina lacks, they also have created social and welfare programs, and have made great progresses in civil liberties, freedom of speech and global influence, the US government acknowledges these progresses that now high level meetings are held between the governments of our countries, these amount of high level encounters and joint work between officials of both countries had never happened before in our entire history.

Even though we are now facing through a hard and long transitory period with the crisis and drug wars, this has waken up our governments and brought them closer, I believe the future is bright
This is what an informed and thought out post looks like. With reasons, and actual details.

Not "this country needs to grow up", or comparisons to completely different countries with completely different political and social issues on another continent across the ocean.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Acquired wealth from colonial nations. Ireland, Spain, and Italy were far from poverty. War on drugs does count. Why do you think a dysfunctional culture exists? There is a huge gap in wealth in Mexico. Race does play into it...(why are the majority of Mexico and Latin America's rich, but again this is more acquired wealth). Argentina suffered from neo-colonialism most of the nation's history.

Any other questions?
Bottom line: the basic culture of poor countries needs to change from within before they can develop into affluent, stable societies.

Again: we owe the rest of the world nothing.

Funny how many African countries are worse off (Zimbabwe is a textbook example) since the colonizing powers left many years ago. Blaming the 'White' man for one's problems is a huge cop out. Last time I checked: Mugabe is Black.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line: the basic culture of poor countries needs to change from within before they can develop into affluent, stable societies.

Funny how many African countries are worse off (Zimbabwe is a textbook example) since the colonizing powers left many years ago. Blaming the 'White' man for one's problems is a huge cop out. Last time I checked: Mugabe is Black.
You just don't get it. You look at things in the most simplistic of ways.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:

Look, ArizonaBear...you really don't much about colonial history. That's fine, but to claim you do that's not.

Rhodesia was rich because of the whites. Once they left after the fall of Rhodesia, then things got bad. Mugabe was in reaction to the RACIST regime. Mugabe is also a racist. However, the Whites in tha nation are WAY richer than the average Black person in Zimbabwe.

Africa is worse because of neo-colonialism. Africa only saw a 10-15 year spurt of massive investments (from about 1950-1960), and this was a futile attempt to appease the masses to remain colonial subjects. It didn't work...but the economic system was still in place.

Again, AZBear, if you want to talk about colonialism study about it first. Many things that you say show a superficial understanding about the historical perspective about the third world. Which is fine, because most people don't need to know it. I will say that you seem very intelligent, yet a little uninformed at times.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Or was it that you just got priced out of living anywhere except the dumpiest neighborhoods, which aren't 3rd world, but very American as well.
Not all of America is green lawns and fresh pavement.
Nope, not that at all. It's very black and white. I hated living amongst the illegal aliens from Mexico. They lived in filth, violated every health and zoning law there was, and turned the community into a 3rd-world cesspool. It's that simple. Period.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Nope, not that at all. It's very black and white. I hated living amongst the illegal aliens from Mexico. They lived in filth, violated every health and zoning law there was, and turned the community into a 3rd-world cesspool. It's that simple. Period.
So there was no where else in San Diego or California that hadn't been "turned into a 3rd-world cesspool"?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You just don't get it. You look at things in the most simplistic of ways.
Pot: meet kettle.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Look, ArizonaBear...you really don't much about colonial history. That's fine, but to claim you do that's not.

Rhodesia was rich because of the whites. Once they left after the fall of Rhodesia, then things got bad. Mugabe was in reaction to the RACIST regime. Mugabe is also a racist. However, the Whites in tha nation are WAY richer than the average Black person in Zimbabwe.

Africa is worse because of neo-colonialism. Africa only saw a 10-15 year spurt of massive investments (from about 1950-1960), and this was a futile attempt to appease the masses to remain colonial subjects. It didn't work...but the economic system was still in place.

Again, AZBear, if you want to talk about colonialism study about it first. Many things that you say show a superficial understanding about the historical perspective about the third world. Which is fine, because most people don't need to know it. I will say that you seem very intelligent, yet a little uninformed at times.
I hate to pop your bubble here.............why should I have to believe everything that you post? It is your word against mine.

Face it: you are pro illegal immigration and have an affinity towards Third World culture.

I do not.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I have to agree with you there--------------especially the parts about not following building/zoning regs with their jerry built add ons to houses...........

My G/F is presently house hunting; looking at foreclosed upon homes here in the Phx area. Unfortunately; many of them have flagrant code violations (bootlegged bathrooms, etc). Just looking at the garish interior colors; I can safely say that most of these places were owned by lower class Mexican nationals--------many probably here illegally.

The cities here are 'cracking the whip' in demanding that said illegal modifications either be removed or at least brought up to code.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Pot: meet kettle.
Elaborate how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration