U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm against illegal immigration. I'm also against people that are so angry about illegal immigration that they decide to just keep intensifying hatred and put it in their childrens ears. I'm saying that I've tried to be in the immigration forum and it can't help but bring out the ugliest crap in people. Their bile really doesn't have anything to do with the issue anymore.

I'm saying I wish for one moment everyone reading this forum would pause and consider their words a little better. Stick with merit arguments, and reach logical conclusions. Do not attack one another with foolish garbage. It always winds up being innocent people standing in your way who get slaughtered in the process.
???? What does this have to do with what took place in NY?

It was an immigrant that killed those people. It has nothing at all to do with pro-border enforcement, pro-immigration limitations at all. If anything this killer was likely very pro-immigration, very pro-open borders.

If anything the violent acts of immigrants in recent years should make us think a bit on the need for some kind of immigration regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
???? What does this have to do with what took place in NY?

It was an immigrant that killed those people. It has nothing at all to do with pro-border enforcement, pro-immigration limitations at all. If anything this killer was likely very pro-immigration, very pro-open borders.

If anything the violent acts of immigrants in recent years should make us think a bit on the need for some kind of immigration regulation.
WTF?

And anyway, what does this have to do with immigration regulation if the guy was more than likely here legally?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
WTF?

And anyway, what does this have to do with immigration regulation if the guy was more than likely here legally?
I was commenting on harborlady's post. It seemed it was meant to tie the shooting in NY with those who believe in enforcing immigration laws, or who might believe in limitations of some kind on immigration.

The guy that did the shooting was an immigrant. He was obviously pro-immigration so whatever his motives, they had nothing to do with the discussions on immigration.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have a feeling you thought it was great that the Native Americans lost their lands and were put on reservations. That was a good example of what happens to people who have no border control or immigration laws.

You may have been raised on John Lennon songs or something but the reality is there's always been countries and countries always have some kind of border.
Again not raised with John Lennon songs...just feel that we are actually moving towards a true international society. Think of it like state borders. You can freely move across the US. Think of that, but on a grand scale. I know that we are very far from that. But with ASEAN, the EU, and the US, maybe were in the mist of redefining political units (I do realize that ASEAN is more economic, but might in the future be more political).

Plus, the reservations would prove my point rather than disprove it.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
If they insist on calling you something you are not, just refer to them as anti-immigrant back(which most are). That always seems to get them.
Like who? Please, do dish on just who 'most' of the posters are that are anti immigrant.
I'l be interested to know as I personally do not see anything that would indicate 'most' posters are against legal immigrants.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Think of it like state borders. You can freely move across the US. Think of that, but on a grand scale. I know that we are very far from that. But with ASEAN, the EU, and the US, maybe were in the mist of redefining political units (I do realize that ASEAN is more economic, but might in the future be more political).
Are you suggesting that it would be good if the US was part of a North American-like version of the EU? A system in which nationals from member states A, B, C & D can move freely to member state E and compete for jobs against every citizen in E? I'd hate to see something like that happen with the US and Central America.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Again not raised with John Lennon songs...just feel that we are actually moving towards a true international society. Think of it like state borders. You can freely move across the US. Think of that, but on a grand scale. I know that we are very far from that. But with ASEAN, the EU, and the US, maybe were in the mist of redefining political units (I do realize that ASEAN is more economic, but might in the future be more political).

Plus, the reservations would prove my point rather than disprove it.
No. Reservations are where you end up if you don't keep an eye on who, how many, and why there are people flooding into your country.

Obviously assimilation is not a given, ask the Cherokees and Comanches about that.

The global economy isn't really doing very well, we may be at the beginning of it's collapse. One world empires or universal kingdoms may seem utopian but the natural order is different countries and cultures.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'd just like to remind you all that your words do travel in unexpected ways in a world that is very on edge.
If you could only stick to the issues and not be so hateful.

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/ny...e.html?_r=1&hp
What on earth are you talking about? That anti illegal sentiment on these boards somehow provoked an immigrant to go on a killing rampage?
What an incredibly unfair assumption on your part that the killer was some anti immigrant and lets be honest here, a probable white racist? Personally, my first assumption was that this was another case of some azhat ex husband taking 'revenge' on his wife for leaving him.
Or did you start a thread after the rampage at the alzheimers care facility blaming anti-elderly sentiment as the cause of that shooting?
Hey -- did you also assume that the Von Maur shooting in Nebraska was caused by anti-mallism?

Crazy f's live in our world, and you know what? They do not need a reason to kill. So please, don't give them the dignity of motive or societal pressure. They kill because they are cowards and they are sadistic.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 PM

That's just it. This premeditated tragic shooting was about an immigrant going on a rampage against his own people. He himself took classes at that utopian true international society. Maybe that is what made him go beseark.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Like who? Please, do dish on just who 'most' of the posters are that are anti immigrant.
I'l be interested to know as I personally do not see anything that would indicate 'most' posters are against legal immigrants.
I think it'd be hard to find evidence that indicates a problem with legal immigrants, as an idea...
But one could come up with plenty of evidence that would indicate a problem against a CERTAIN breed of legal and illegal immigrants alike...and at times even citizens....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration