U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times

Advertisements

Mexico and the USA create immigration group

SILVIA OTERO
EL UNIVERSAL
MEXICO CITY FRIDAY. APRIL 03, 2009

They will seek solutions to issues like documented immigration, protection of immigrants rights, repatriation procedures, orientation to the population about the risks of crossing the border illegally, among others.

A high level group has been created where authorities from Mexico and the United States will analyse and formulate public policies about the issue "To solve the immigration issues in a more effective way" this is the agreement reached in a private meeting between the Mexican chancellor Patricia Espinosa and the secretary of homeland security department of the United States of America, Janet Napolitano.

The Mexican foreign relations department (SRE) revealed today the result of the encounter held together between both officials, where it was announced that this group will seek solutions to issues like documented immigration, protection of immigrants rights, repatriation procedures, and orientation to the population about the risks of crossing the border illegaly, among others.

Also, the department informed that this week 30 agreements were signed pertaining to the orderly repatriation of Mexican nationals.

They highlighted the succesful negotiation of "Local repatriation arrangements", concluded this week between the governments of Mexico and the United States.

"This is an scheme of 30 agreements signed in the entire US territory by authorities of the Department of Homeland Security, the Mexican consuls, and the National Institute of Immigration. These agreements will allow the orderly and humanitary repatriation of the Mexican nationals that are deported to our country from all the points of the United States" stated the Secretary of Foreign relationships.

Translated from: México y EU crean grupo sobre migración - El Universal - México
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
It would be great to have better solutions.

It would be very good to help these people succeed in their own country. They need to make the cultural changes to make it in either Mexico or the USA or they'll continue dragging either country down. They need to keep their kids in school, stress to them the importance of an education and also the importance of not having children before you can support them.

Immigration has become a ridiculous "cure-all" that only means more and more and more numbers coming over the border, of people who are unprepared for life in their own country and also are unprepared for life in ours.

Mexico is advancing and instead of millions of people leaving, they could adapt to the advancement and be a part of it. That would be better than filling up the housing projects and slums here or becoming the cheap servants of a foreign nation and sleeping 14 men to the floor of a slum apartment or living 4 families to one house.

There must be some kind of repatriation program that was already in place. One of my neighbors got deported or more like took voluntary departure and supposedly he got in on some program the Mexican government has that helps returning farmers and ranchers get started back up. Instead of being some cheap lawn boy here, he now has his own few cows and pigs and says he's staying there because it's better to work his own farm and build something.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,581,916 times
I hope that it goes well, reasonable solutions are sought and that no amnesty is ever considered at all.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 PM

So we have an agreement that this high level meetings or programs could be better than amnesty

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 PM

254 posts, read 416,878 times
I don't know why its necessary to establish these bureaucratic organizations (which will certainly be funded exclusively by American tax dollars). Why not just enforce the laws we have, using the institutions we have? We already know Mexico just seeks to dump their problems on us by encouraging their citizens to sneak into this country. Another waste of money that will surly solve nothing.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,581,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
So we have an agreement that this high level meetings or programs could be better than amnesty
Not really.

I agree with SeattleWA. The US should just enforce immigration laws to the fullest extent and deny government benefits, rights and privileges to illegals.

I'm under the impression that if the possibility of amnesty is raised but never approved then those who pushed for amnesty will then demand that more worker's permits and/or citizenships be granted which is just as bad of an idea.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
I don't know why its necessary to establish these bureaucratic organizations (which will certainly be funded exclusively by American tax dollars). Why not just enforce the laws we have, using the institutions we have? We already know Mexico just seeks to dump their problems on us by encouraging their citizens to sneak into this country. Another waste of money that will surly solve nothing.
The one reason I can see is that in many cases our welfare programs encouraged some of those people to have children -- and it's our system that allowed them to lose what job skills they had and become government dependent. I can see some way of easing them back, some kind of job training, even food stamps for a short transition period. Birth control programs for sure.

Obviously the hard working types can make it fine when they go back home, they aren't the concern. Mexico would benefit by it's hard working types coming back, making Mexico food self-sufficient.

I blame the USA to an extent for creating and teaching the welfare dependency. That's not something they learned back in their own country.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The one reason I can see is that in many cases our welfare programs encouraged some of those people to have children -- and it's our system that allowed them to lose what job skills they had and become government dependent. I can see some way of easing them back, some kind of job training, even food stamps for a short transition period. Birth control programs for sure.

Obviously the hard working types can make it fine when they go back home, they aren't the concern. Mexico would benefit by it's hard working types coming back, making Mexico food self-sufficient.

I blame the USA to an extent for creating and teaching the welfare dependency. That's not something they learned back in their own country.
This is why I believe that a realistic way to solve this issue is if both governments start to have high level meetings to design a way to repatriate most illegals instead of looking the other side or even encourage it under the table while the problem grows to epic proportions, if the government of Mexico starts to convince it's citizens to come back and develops programs to lure them back with the USA's government assistance a lot would come back, all those consulates and embassies could be put to good use after all, also if the USA government made the handouts available for citizens only a lot of people would think twice before immigrating or having babies just for the benefits it grants to have them on US' soil.

The government of Mexico also needs to do more to educate it's citizens, specially those who live in communities that have heavy numbers of emigrants, on why it is wrong to break the law crossing a border and the risks associated with it, that coupled with more investments to those areas (which is already happening) could ease the problem.

I bet that even the most angry anti illegals would feel better if they saw some progress and this kind of meetings and agreement work. After decades of inaction or under the table encouragement by our governments, it is normal that most people has become skeptical, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt, after all, never in the history of our countries we saw that amount of high level meetings in such a short span of time,Hillary Clinton just met with Calderon and other key people of the Mexican government a couple of weeks ago, not it was Janet Napolitano who came, next is Barack Obama, measures were also taken to protect the economies of both countries from further decline, let's see what happens

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Our real focus should be on helping these Countries stem their out of control population that cannot afford to feed themselves, much the less children.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
EXCELLENT point!....It's been my experience as well as 'fact'. Having known MANY Mexican immigrants over many decades, having close personal contact with MANY who were here illegally, I've seen a massive change. Whereas once, years ago, Mexican males (particularly those of the 'illegal' type), in addition to being resourceful, cheerful, energetic, patient, and hard-working, were also "manly" or "macho" to an almost RIDICULOUS degree..so MUCH so, that I often found myself laughing at THEIR inside jokes about their own macho, hard-headed stubbornness. As a result, this group, in MY experience, was just about the proudest, LEAST 'whining', LEAST 'complaining', and LEAST likely to accept "charity", or even ask for a "helping hand", bunch of people of any group I've ever had contact with. There was a TREMENDOUS pride in being a "man", doing a job well, and supporting one's family, and never having to ask for help. I occasionally 'helped' one of these guys, but the 'help' was always returned to me 'three-fold', as they simply HATED 'owing a favor'. It was a great deal like what Americans must have been like, back in the 'old days' when 'a man stood on his own two feet', and I found it very admirable.

How this fits in to today's whining 'welfare / entitlement / poor me' culture, I'm not really sure, except as I've stated so may times before, "we've ALL changed". But you're absolutely correct...'welfare dependency' (or any OTHER dependency) was not the original aim of most illegals I'VE ever known...it was absolutely their worst 'nightmare'.

Things change, I guess.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration