U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Have you ever had your job taken by an illegal immigrant
yes 15 38.46%
No 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I have, I was a roofer and we lost jobs left and right. We lost them to fly-by-night roofing companies that had 10 illegals working for them and seriously underbid us to get the job. They then did the job and left the area.
exactly.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post

who did the hiring? why did the homeowners and builders pick them over you? with all the builders I work with youre required to have workers compen and general liability and I know a lot of hispanics that have been here for years and pay their taxes and have insurances. so relatively I dont see that its a true fact. and if they did charge half of what you were charging then again who was doing the hiring? an illegal? so an other words there traitors among us correct? dont irs suppose to do a background check after five years to check if your company is a business or just a hobby. YALL HISPANIC PEOPLE HATERS TEND TO EXagerate things.

Its funny I work on a school last week and ALL OF THE WORKERS were hispanic all of them and I AM TALKING ABOUT north carolina.
they ARE MORE HARD WORKING.
they whine less.
there more MEN. and thats what it takes to survive in the construction scenery this days. so lets stop our whining and show the the worlds workforce that we are competitive.
Its about builders pocketing the money. Its that simple. The op asked who lost a job.I answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: US
3,082 posts, read 3,345,286 times
Reputation: 1629
Same here. We are a commercial painting company in Florida and we've lost jobs to companies that have fired all of their painters who have been with them for years and brought in all illegals, one of which acts as a supervisor. The owner of the painting company pays the supervisor for everyone and then the supervisor pays the others cash. But one thing we've heard about that is happening is that the supervisor has been taking everyone's pay from the owner and then skipping with their money, so that the owner has to find someone who can communicate with them and then pay them again. That happened on two large jobs we've heard about. Heh heh heh. These two companies have also been run off from jobs, one of which was a major hotel room restoration. The larger companies that hire painting contractors though want quality and legitimate employees. We just cannot compete with illegals when the owners don't care whether or not these people are covered with workers' comp.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I have, I was a roofer and we lost jobs left and right. We lost them to fly-by-night roofing companies that had 10 illegals working for them and seriously underbid us to get the job. They then did the job and left the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,086,580 times
Reputation: 822
Could a guest worker policy which requires high wages mitigate this loss? I mean if both parties are paid the same wage, then theoretically the consumer would look at other qualities other price. If it is true that illegal immigrants do a worse job (I personally don't know, it would be a hard study to conduct since there are many construction companies and variability region to region, so it would be hard to determine), however if we are making that assumption, along with the same pricing...then a guest worker program would actually be beneficial. You would be able to market your repsective companies as being the same price, yet a high quality...thus being cheaper in the long run. Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,314,855 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Could a guest worker policy which requires high wages mitigate this loss? I mean if both parties are paid the same wage, then theoretically the consumer would look at other qualities other price. If it is true that illegal immigrants do a worse job (I personally don't know, it would be a hard study to conduct since there are many construction companies and variability region to region, so it would be hard to determine), however if we are making that assumption, along with the same pricing...then a guest worker program would actually be beneficial. You would be able to market your repsective companies as being the same price, yet a high quality...thus being cheaper in the long run. Just a thought...
Have you even see what the unemployment rate is now in this country? We don't need one foreign worker for any damn reason whatsoever. This is what I mean when I say you lack education about what you post about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,086,580 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Have you even see what the unemployment rate is now in this country? We don't need one foreign worker for any damn reason whatsoever. This is what I mean when I say you lack education about what you post about.
So we will never recover from our current economic state? That this singular moment in time is the last point of history? That a guest worker program would somehow not follow the same rules of the free market (IE, that if jobs were gone in a certain sector, there would still be TONS of people still working?) So you're saying that what needs to happen is no thought of when the recovery does happen concerning work and illegal immigrants? Also, the number one reason why illegal immigrants work for cheap and undercut business is because they can take whatever amount of pay. So if we equalize pay it might level out the playing field. That is one variable that would be gone. That actually might enable Americans to be competitive, since there would be an incentive to hire the most talented...and not simply the cheapest.

Simply calling a person uneducated doesn't really do anything. Again if you have valid points to bring up, in a calm manner, then I might respectfully go point by point. Name calling is pretty childish.

I've been guilty of it too, but I apologized since I realized that there really is no need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,314,855 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So we will never recover from our current economic state? That this singular moment in time is the last point of history? That a guest worker program would somehow not follow the same rules of the free market (IE, that if jobs were gone in a certain sector, there would still be TONS of people still working?) So you're saying that what needs to happen is no thought of when the recovery does happen concerning work and illegal immigrants? Also, the number one reason why illegal immigrants work for cheap and undercut business is because they can take whatever amount of pay. So if we equalize pay it might level out the playing field. That is one variable that would be gone. That actually might enable Americans to be competitive, since there would be an incentive to hire the most talented...and not simply the cheapest.

Simply calling a person uneducated doesn't really do anything. Again if you have valid points to bring up, in a calm manner, then I might respectfully go point by point. Name calling is pretty childish.

I've been guilty of it too, but I apologized since I realized that there really is no need.
Simply stating that an economic situation will not last forever doesn't really do anything. Even when we are at full employment, foreign workers are not needed, since they are only here to get lower wages and bring down the American employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,086,580 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Simply stating that an economic situation will not last forever doesn't really do anything. Even when we are at full employment, foreign workers are not needed, since they are only here to get lower wages and bring down the American employee.
Wouldn't it depend on the industry and the legal status of the immigrant? If the American and the legal immigrant (I say legal since a min. wage would have to be established) were applying for the same job, then the American would have to find a way to be more competitive. Taking lower wages. However, illegal immigrants do depress wages since they can take less than the min. wage. So, legality would est. a set min point. It would be up to the American to decide if he/she willing to accept a lower wage as the legal immigrant. At that wage, the American might have several advantages (knowing the culture, better comprehension of language, and possibly knowledge of the industry)...this would affect a hiring manager's decision as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,718,103 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Could a guest worker policy which requires high wages mitigate this loss? I mean if both parties are paid the same wage, then theoretically the consumer would look at other qualities other price. If it is true that illegal immigrants do a worse job (I personally don't know, it would be a hard study to conduct since there are many construction companies and variability region to region, so it would be hard to determine), however if we are making that assumption, along with the same pricing...then a guest worker program would actually be beneficial. You would be able to market your repsective companies as being the same price, yet a high quality...thus being cheaper in the long run. Just a thought...

A 'guest worker' program, huh? The guest workers are not going to leave when their contract is up. They will simply disappear and end up staying in the US. Fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,933 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17748
Without knowing where they live or the ability to monitor the "guests" the US has no way to enforce it once they are supposed to leave. It's almost a back door portal past the Border Patrol. The only way to make it uncomfortable for them is to cut off Social Services so that when they are here they work, when it's over they leave. Without that in place there is too much of a draw for them to stay here and leech tax payer money (that would be yours and mine if anyone does indeed pay income tax.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top