U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever had your job taken by an illegal immigrant
yes 15 38.46%
No 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlover View Post
The type of jobs they do are not comparable to anyone in this country who has a decent education.
If someone loses a job to someone from another country who speaks English as a second language .. that's their fault for not educating themselves properly.
I disagree. Many contractors who hire illegal aliens submit lower bids on jobs kicking out companies paying a competitive wage. In a sense they take many single jobs by doing this. I've just hired 4 new workers who lost their jobs to illegals in Texas, all different companies. Fortunately, all contractors I work with use and enforce E-Verify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salto99 View Post
Hi All,

The influx of undocumented workers has gotten in my way and cost me in my earning potential. Let me explain:

I come from a very poor background, my family is poor, so were my mother and father. We come from the deep South and I've done everything from picking tobacco to working in the textile mills.

However, once the flood of undocumented workers arrived our jobs started to disappear very quickly. I can see how folks, specially the working poor - like me - could start to harbor very nasty feelings toward undocumented workers that happen to be mostly Latino.

Heck, travel all up and down the Southern states and it is inescapable ==> or jobs have largely been taken over by Latino undocumented workers, mainly Mexican nationals !!!

This circumstance is visible with most of the textile mills, factories, and the construction trades. It's not so much that I'm angry at the undocumented workers and the business owners that hire the illegals, but I'm very angry at our government that let things get so out of hand.

Many of us here in the deep South would love to have a job that pays $15.00 per hour, but those jobs have been given to the illegals.

I think the way to start solving this problem is to jail all the business owners that hire the illegal workers.

So, the next time I hear that illegal workers don't take jobs from anybody, I'm going to say: YES THEY DO !!!
I have friends that work in construction that have been out of work for a year yet I still see the (probably) Illegals lined up at Home Depot ready to undercut construction pay. I'm amazed at the arrogance some Americans have. If they had to work in construction they'd be changing their tunes. If you've only been in construction during your life time it wouldn't be that easy to change up and do something else.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
The type of jobs they do are not comparable to anyone in this country who has a decent education.
If someone loses a job to someone from another country who speaks English as a second language .. that's their fault for not educating themselves properly.
And what is that crack supposed to mean?

Moonlover: not all Americans are college material and your (barely) veiled prejudice against people who work with their hands is insulting at best.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
I see, so all Americans should be forced to go to college (whether they can afford it or not or whether they want a desk job or not) and become white collar workers and give up their blue collar jobs for illegal aliens? Many blue collar jobs do require more than simple skills you know.

No, these American blue collar workers are losing their jobs because the employers want cheap illegal labor and the illegals are more than williing to break our laws to accomodate them. So does that mean that you are ok with illegal behavior and law breaking? So does that mean you are ok with foreigners taking jobs from Americans?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM

974 posts, read 1,351,743 times
Wow Moonlover, did you build your own house? I mean you think all Americans must have a college education to work apparently. What about convience stores, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.... Anyone that has a job and works hard at it, is a great American in my honest opinion. As long as that job was taken as a LEGAL US worker.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM

42 posts, read 47,871 times
Is the purpose of this thread to prove that oppressing one class of workers is somehow good for the country?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphdawg View Post
Is the purpose of this thread to prove that oppressing one class of workers is somehow good for the country?
In the eyes of the pro illegal alien apologists: yes.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 10,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And what is that crack supposed to mean?

Moonlover: not all Americans are college material and your (barely) veiled prejudice against people who work with their hands is insulting at best.
I agree with you on one point: "not all Americans are college material". This again means that it is our responsibility, as a nation, to recognize this and allow for more vocational training.

More training makes employees more lucrative.

Also, with outsourcing and automation, you have bigger fish to fry. So this point makes this less an illegal immigration issue and more an issue of education and economics in general.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usofwhatever View Post
I agree with you on one point: "not all Americans are college material". This again means that it is our responsibility, as a nation, to recognize this and allow for more vocational training.

More training makes employees more lucrative.

Also, with outsourcing and automation, you have bigger fish to fry. So this point makes this less an illegal immigration issue and more an issue of education and economics in general.
The jobs taken by illegals have been done by Americans with or without vocational training already. Construction, landscaping, restaurant cooks, etc. are all blue collar jobs that many Americans like to do. You seem to be suggesting that they should no longer have the right to do those jobs because illegal aliens want them and the employers are willing to hire them at a cheaper wage. Am I reading you right?

Outsourcing, automation and illegal immigration are depleting American jobs. Let's do what we can to limit those things so that Americans can have the jobs they "want" to do.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM

42 posts, read 47,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In the eyes of the pro illegal alien apologists: yes.
I see you are from Mesa as well, so you understand the drop houses and vehicles packed with illegal immigrants are what the liberals consider "helping" the down trodden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or