U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM

238 posts, read 16,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
If you support an Open Border, a number of groups will help you with "talking points" The Open Border lobby is much more organized than the "Redneck throw the illegals out" lobby who are fighting so called illegal immigration. Here is a few ideas from our playbook:

1) Describe illegal immigrants (or Illegal Aliens) as Immigrants. Blurr the line between illegal and legal immigrants so as to confuse the majority of voters who do not really understand current events.

2) Call Illegal Immigrants "undocumented workers" America love people who work and if they use the word "workers" then these illegal immigrants will seem OK. Also the word Undocumented leaves a vague impression. Most people do not understand that term and assume they are in the process of getting documents or lost them at home, not really in a status that will never get a legal document.

3) Call anyone who fights against illegal immigrants-- one of the following negative words: racist, bigot, redneck, anti immigrant, right wing nut case, a member of the radical right, right wing, or outside of the mainstream.

4) Promote Immigrant Rights as a form of Civil Rights. Give the impression that anyone who is anti illegal immigrant is against civil rights for all immigrants and no better than a bigot from the 1950s. Link the civil rights movement of the 50s and 60s to a movement for the immigrant community.

5) Promote Hispanic people who are more Spanish (European) in appearance as role models for the Hispanic community instead of Indian based Hispanics who are more likely to be an illegal immigrant. Or use the word Latino, it sounds better than Hispanic.

6) Get the Catholic Church involved.

7) Use slogans like "no one is illegal" "everyone in America is an immigrant" or "America is a land of immigrants" "they came for the American dream"--- to sell people that illegal immigrants are no different than they are.

8) Use the mainstream media to promote stories about illegal immigrants who did well and helped America. Most of the mainstream media support the illegal immigration movement and have very hidden bias in their stories. The average person is not bright enough to hear the bias.

9) Use term like "comprehensive immigration reform" or "earned legalization" These are positive sounding words.
================
The PR war is being won by the side supporting the illegal immigrant community.

You got the copy they send to the public, not the real one...

Probably because you don't have the clearance for the real play book.
Good fa·ce·tious posts - I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM

1,245 posts, read 79,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
6 dollars an hour, back breaking 40 hours a week, who wants that kind of work? You'd have to be on Meth.. If the illegal immigrants were deported, there would be a massive hole in the national labor market. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pick fruit? It pays nothing and you're going to as sore as a boulder.
You make so many assumptions, here. The US economy would adjust to the lack of illegals. The work doesn't pay "nothing". Americans have done this work in the past. Has something happened that's made it intolerable, now?

You argument holds no water.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,255,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
If we don't have enough labor to pick crops, the farmers have to adjust. The rest of the country shouldn't pay for this. Nea1 already hit on the details.
Well, the farmers still don't like it, and I suspect that they'll fiercely resist any government mandate to use prisoners. Farmers are private-property owners and business people. As such, they don't want government telling them what to do, so prepare for that fight. I'm just curious to see how Colorado will fare in this experiment.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 PM

1,700 posts, read 4,429,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Americans have done this work in the past. Has something happened that's made it intolerable, now?
Cost of living and MUCH more comfortable jobs. Americans did those jobs in the past because there was nothing else available. The Great Depression, The Okies, The Dust Bowl.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM

10,010 posts, read 12,104,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Well, the farmers still don't like it, and I suspect that they'll fiercely resist any effort by government to impose a mandate to use prisoners. Farmers are private-property owners and business people. As such, they don't want government telling them what to do, so prepare for that fight. I'm just curious to see how Colorado will fare in this experiment.
Thats the problem, they have gotten so used to taking advantage of people. What they dont realize is after the inital hard investment of modernization, in the end it will save them time , money and increase their profits and allow for more crops to be planted, machines dont get tired and if maintained need very few breaks or lunches.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 PM

10,010 posts, read 12,104,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Cost of living and MUCH more comfortable jobs. Americans did those jobs in the past because there was nothing else available. The Great Depression, The Okies, The Dust Bowl.
Not all of us need more comfortable jobs. And there has always been other work available, the depression didnt last forever.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 PM

1,700 posts, read 4,429,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
the depression didnt last forever.
Exactly my point, people only did these jobs when they had to, because they SUCK.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Default You still need people-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Thats the problem, they have gotten so used to taking advantage of people. What they dont realize is after the inital hard investment of modernization, in the end it will save them time , money and increase their profits and allow for more crops to be planted, machines dont get tired and if maintained need very few breaks or lunches.
I won't argue that our economy has become dependent on taking advantage of people. Certainly true. But farming is already highly mechanized. Have you seen, for example, those gigantic tomato harvesters? You still need people to operate and maintain them. But you need a dozen people around the harvester’s conveyor.

Other types of harvesting can't be done by machines -- citrus, nuts, grapes. There are machines that shake oranges from the tree, but the machine doesn't know how to pick the ones that didn't fall. As modernized at farming is already, it still takes people to do some tasks.

What about strawberries? How do you harvest them with a machine? How does a machine put down the plastic? How does a machine move irrigation pipes around? You still need people.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM

450 posts, read 763,946 times
Quote:
Well, the farmers still don't like it, and I suspect that they'll fiercely resist any effort by the government to impose a mandate to use prisoners. Farmers are private-property owners and business people. As such, they don't want government telling them what to do, so prepare for that fight. I'm just curious to see how Colorado will fare in this experiment.
I just love this post..."The farmers don't want government telling them what to do"...how about the more than 70% of legal U.S. citizens that want something done about your criminal illegals. The Government is basically telling all of us what to do all the time, by ignoring the criminal immigrants the government is basically telling law abiding citizens to deal with it and get over it. I'm glad your farmers can't find help and its their fault for hiring criminals to do the job in the first place.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Default That's the real world

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
I just love this post..."The farmers don't want government telling them what to do"...how about the more than 70% of legal U.S. citizens that want something done about your criminal illegals. The Government is basically telling all of us what to do all the time, by ignoring the criminal immigrants the government is basically telling law abiding citizens to deal with it and get over it. I'm glad your farmers can't find help and its their fault for hiring criminals to do the job in the first place.
Well, no matter how you phrase it, that's how it is regarding the farmers -- most of who are big, big trans-national corporations holding the purse strings. I'm not defending them nor illegal immigration. I'm just exposing what is. Prepare for the fight in Colorado, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration