U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,852,124 times
Reputation: 531

Advertisements

I mean think about this for a second, if I go to court and refuse to pay a ticket for speeding and tell the judge my reasoning is because if we are going to enforce one law we must enforce ALL laws. Since immigration laws are not enforced why does he and essentially the govt get to enforce traffic laws. Seems like a pretty rational arguement to me. I wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
try it out, and get back to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 02:33 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I mean think about this for a second, if I go to court and refuse to pay a ticket for speeding and tell the judge my reasoning is because if we are going to enforce one law we must enforce ALL laws. Since immigration laws are not enforced why does he and essentially the govt get to enforce traffic laws. Seems like a pretty rational arguement to me. I wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like this.
Why SHOULD you obey the law?.....Ideally, in our society, you should obey the law because we (the people) WROTE the law(s), and because it's fair, and it's the 'right thing to do'.

In MOST of the world, where laws are NOT fair? Where the 'people' are often ignored? You should STILL obey the law, because if you don't, you'll go to jail.

Take your choice...First World, or Third..it's ALWAYS a good idea to obey the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,852,124 times
Reputation: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why SHOULD you?.....because if you don't, you'll go to jail.
You fail to see my point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
You fail to see my point!
I see your point, for sure..I just don't think you'll enjoy having 'made your point' while you're sitting in jail. But, as suggested above, you're free to find out for yourself....my suggestion remains ONLY a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,341,703 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I mean think about this for a second, if I go to court and refuse to pay a ticket for speeding and tell the judge my reasoning is because if we are going to enforce one law we must enforce ALL laws. Since immigration laws are not enforced why does he and essentially the govt get to enforce traffic laws. Seems like a pretty rational arguement to me. I wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like this.
Go for it..see where it gets you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Reputation: 5919
The OP has a valid point.

Problem is that the US has too many laws that are infringing on a persons right to move about without bending the "IRE" of a police officer in the guise of bringing in REVENUE to the city.

Take our neighbor of Mexico. The people can do many things that are considerd normal in every days moving about that does not cause any conflicts yet in the US a ticket is issued and a fine has to be paid. People in Mexico have more FREEDOM in their country then American citizens have in the US.

Spend some time down south...watch...listen...and learn the differences.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Rockland County New York
2,984 posts, read 5,122,354 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I mean think about this for a second, if I go to court and refuse to pay a ticket for speeding and tell the judge my reasoning is because if we are going to enforce one law we must enforce ALL laws. Since immigration laws are not enforced why does he and essentially the govt get to enforce traffic laws. Seems like a pretty rational arguement to me. I wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like this.
He does have a point. Since when do we enforce some laws and not all? Since when do we allow affluent people to get away with breaking the law and then hold everyone else accountable? Since like a raw deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The OP has a valid point.

Problem is that the US has too many laws that are infringing on a persons right to move about without bending the "IRE" of a police officer in the guise of bringing in REVENUE to the city.

Take our neighbor of Mexico. The people can do many things that are considerd normal in every days moving about that does not cause any conflicts yet in the US a ticket is issued and a fine has to be paid. People in Mexico have more FREEDOM in their country then American citizens have in the US.

Spend some time down south...watch...listen...and learn the differences.

Steve
In a roundabout way, I agree with you....the life of a typical Mexican IS, in some respects, 'freer' than that of a modern-day American....(not RICHER..not as COMFORTABLE...but FREER)...Why, exactly? I'm not sure..MAYBE because of the fatalistic Mexican culture, where one is basically left to 'sink or swim' on his own....and if you're poor, or disadvantaged, or somehow 'encumberered'...well, that's just LIFE....and such 'setbacks' are to be expected.

Here? We see ourselves as 'saviors' of the whole human race....we SHOULD take care of our own poor, the poor of other countries, and we SHOULD solve the problems of the whole human race. We SHOULD bail out drug users, single moms, ex-convicts, bankrupt corporations, and defunct banks. We SHOULD provide food, clothing, and shelter to ALL, no questions asked. We SHOULD accomodate illegals, because we CAN. We SHOULD bring 'democracy' to the Middle East, because it's our DUTY, and because some day, they'll 'thank us for it'..even if they hate us now.

That's a pretty heavy 'load' for us to carry...and the result is, we don't feel free. Mexicans spend relatively little time worrying about what they "should" do.....and even LESS time worrying about 'other cultures'....and in a curious way, that makes them 'freer' than us. If you LIKE them, that's great...if you DON'T, they figure that's YOUR problem. Actually, that probably makes them not only FREER than us, but probably more LIKEABLE, as well. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Reputation: 5919
In Rosarito a jaywalker crossing the street was allowed to continue when a police car put on his Blue lights to stop traffic. In the US the person would have received a ticket with a hefty fine.

Travelinfella gave an example of doing the same thing in the US by waving a thanks to a Moter cycle cop who quickly made a U-TURN and proceeded to chastize (lecture) him.

This is kinda of what I was referring too.

Simple things in Mexico and other countries are similiar while the US it's demanding REVENUE for the city.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top