U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2009, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,898 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
The U.S. has the power to do anything. They landed on the moon, have advanced weapons and technology and they could easily get Bin Laden if they wanted. It's the same with illegal aliens here, all the government has to do is say to get them out, and the government can have it done. The U.S. Army, Border Patrol, along with Police forces could easily search them out, even city by city.
Very true. It's possible and it'll be costly but it has the potential be very effective if performed in a legal manner.

The only problems are that pro-illegal groups (La Raza, MEChA, LULAC, MALDEF, ACLU, US Chamber of Commerce, etc.), pro-illegal politicians (Antonio Villaragoisa, Luis Gutierrez, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Gavin Newsom, etc.) and most importantly the Mexican government would immediately condemn such actions as racist, xenophobic, anti-Mexican, anti-Hispanic, etc.

Only until some people have the cajones to actually say no to cheap illegal alien labor and realize that the US simply cannot provide for every single illegal alien while maintaining a large homegrown poverty stricken population then something productive can be done to combat illegal migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
How do you do this? Go door to door? Most of the solutions suggested here are not grounded in political reality.
They don't have to go door-to-door looking for illegals, but they could go door-to-door making sure that people with servants are employing only those eligible to work in this country and are paying legal wages and following the labor laws, and paying into social security. Any that are not should be tossed into prison and given some big fines.

They need to go after the employers and cut off the government handouts. Those two actions would eliminate much of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
 
103 posts, read 121,207 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
A few..not many...people like you are taking him serious.

Are you two in a position of power?

Are You are going to demand Obama to put US troops on the border with an open fire order to kill? And you think he is going to do this because..??

The contingency plan deals with Cartels and drug runners...Not with an open fire order on all people crossing illegally...

Get in touch with reality...

No one is taking you seriously...
Good point IBARRIO.
Nobody takes seriously a mean spirit "whish list".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0rdfish View Post
Good point IBARRIO.
Nobody takes seriously a mean spirit "whish list".
Again: I hope to God that cooler heads prevail in especially Mexico or there will be trouble. Read that the Mx government reigns in the drug cartels, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,793,137 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They don't have to go door-to-door looking for illegals, but they could go door-to-door making sure that people with servants are employing only those eligible to work in this country and are paying legal wages and following the labor laws, and paying into social security. Any that are not should be tossed into prison and given some big fines.

They need to go after the employers and cut off the government handouts. Those two actions would eliminate much of the problem.
Again who is going to order them to do that? Obama? Pelosi? Harry Reid? This would be possible only if Tancredo were president and hardline republicans controlled both chambers of congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,582 times
Reputation: 11
I may be overly expressive but I think there should be a "2 strike" deal here like in California's 3. Deport the first offender after Documenting and fingerprints and if a second offence of Illegal activity should be put down permently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,770,331 times
Reputation: 4539
Here is how I would solve the problem...

1. Make state laws against hiring illegal immigrants, selling anything of value (homes, vehicles, etc.) to them, renting to them, and allowing illegal children to enroll in public or private schools. For anyone violating the laws, there should be huge fines and maybe even mandatory jail time. A hotline should be set up with rewards for reporting violations leading to convictions. Part of the fine money could be used to pay the rewards.

2. Whenever someone is issued a citation or arrested for any criminal offense, they will be required to present proof of citizenship or legal alien status (driver's licenses should only be issued to those who are legal). Failure to do so will result in the person being held in jail until they can be referred to the INS.

3. Deputize all state and local law enforcement officers to work in immigration enforcement.

4. Build the fence...make it high.

5. Impose higher taxes on funds wired to Mexico.

6. Deny the mooches any and all forms of welfare and health care, with the exception of treatment for life-threatening situations. I'm not willing to let anyone die, but regular treatment should not be provided. Assistance with housing, food, etc. should absolutely not be provided.

7. Eliminate "anchor babies." No child born in the U.S. should be a citizen unless one or both of his or her parents are U.S. citizens. I am not, however, willing to strip citizenship away from children who have already been granted it. This would only apply to future births.

I would also recommend eventually eliminating green cards. No one should be a legal resident alien - only a citizen or not a citizen. Slightly increase the number of people who are allowed to apply for citizenship each year - but require a certain level of education and a functional fluency in the English language before citizenship is granted.

Anyone traveling to the country should be required to provide a departure date and some type of a bond. They would forfeit the bond and be searched for if they fail to depart on time.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-29-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,091 times
Reputation: 10
There are several problems with a lot of the replies here.

Firstly, enforcing the border is a tremendous drain on US resources, including money and military force. Troops that are needed more in Afghanistan in Iraq are being spread thin on the border, and are not exactly helping issues, anyhow. Secondly, this "wall" that the government plans to build is totaled at more than $3.5 billion in cost; is this really the smartest idea in the current economy? The wall will probably not work anyway- if this were 700 BC and we were talking about the Great Wall of China, maybe. But it's 2009, and walls aren't going to hinder many people. Think of all the walls, the Berlin Wall, the Great Wall of China. In the end, they didn't work.

The only way to really deal with this immigration problem is to focus on amnesty and other means, such as enforcing employment laws- employers must obtain documents confirming that their applicants are legal citizens before they hire them. If any documents or applicants are "fishy", the law mandates the employers to report them. This way, we can root out the illegal immigrants currently in the country and deport them.

It's all a deal of focusing our efforts in the right place, and the right place is within the country, not without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
There are several problems with a lot of the replies here.

Firstly, enforcing the border is a tremendous drain on US resources, including money and military force. Troops that are needed more in Afghanistan in Iraq are being spread thin on the border, and are not exactly helping issues, anyhow. Secondly, this "wall" that the government plans to build is totaled at more than $3.5 billion in cost; is this really the smartest idea in the current economy? The wall will probably not work anyway- if this were 700 BC and we were talking about the Great Wall of China, maybe. But it's 2009, and walls aren't going to hinder many people. Think of all the walls, the Berlin Wall, the Great Wall of China. In the end, they didn't work.

The only way to really deal with this immigration problem is to focus on amnesty and other means, such as enforcing employment laws- employers must obtain documents confirming that their applicants are legal citizens before they hire them. If any documents or applicants are "fishy", the law mandates the employers to report them. This way, we can root out the illegal immigrants currently in the country and deport them.

It's all a deal of focusing our efforts in the right place, and the right place is within the country, not without.
We actually do have a lot of experience with enforcing border security. Unfortunately its other peoples borders like N.Korea germany and the fence line in Cuba.
The use of a wall, drones, motion sensors simplifies the task and reduces the need for a large force.
Bring those troops home and let Korea patrol their own border.
Suppliment the force with fresh recruits. They get some hands on experience patroling and acting like soldiers before being thrown into a war. That is a win win deal.
Enforce our immigration laws starting with the employers, then landlords and finally the illegals.
Raise the penalties to include mandatory jail time for employers who knowingly hire an Illegal. That would include Joe home owner to cheap to hire a licensed professional. Fines should start at 5 grand per offence. In other words 2 illegals would cost an employer 10 grand. 20 = 100,000 grand.
End anchor baby status. The 14th was never intended for that anyway.
Last but not least make it mandatory for all schools, hospitals or any gov agency to report illegals as they are discovered.
The illegals will be forced to self deport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We actually do have a lot of experience with enforcing border security. Unfortunately its other peoples borders like N.Korea germany and the fence line in Cuba.
The use of a wall, drones, motion sensors simplifies the task and reduces the need for a large force.
Bring those troops home and let Korea patrol their own border.
Suppliment the force with fresh recruits. They get some hands on experience patroling and acting like soldiers before being thrown into a war. That is a win win deal.
Enforce our immigration laws starting with the employers, then landlords and finally the illegals.
Raise the penalties to include mandatory jail time for employers who knowingly hire an Illegal. That would include Joe home owner to cheap to hire a licensed professional. Fines should start at 5 grand per offence. In other words 2 illegals would cost an employer 10 grand. 20 = 100,000 grand.
End anchor baby status. The 14th was never intended for that anyway.
Last but not least make it mandatory for all schools, hospitals or any gov agency to report illegals as they are discovered.
The illegals will be forced to self deport.
As you stated.

PS: make English the official language here in the USA..........also do away with that ESL crap in our schools------------immersion only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top