Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Last time I checked WASP meant White Anglo Saxon Protestant.
Despite my partial Hungarian heritage: I self identify as a WASP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In a literal sense, you're correct. The large majority of Americans are NOT wasps by ethnicity...but there's a school of thought that ALL assimilated Americans have become partly WASP in culture, since it was WASPS who actually put the idea in motion to start the country...and our legal system, etc, is based on that. This 'thinking' states that Italian-Americans are not Italians...they're 'assimilated Americans'...ditto for Irish, Greek, Russian, Hispanics, etc etc....these diverse people have become "one" by adopting the WASP-based culture of America, and sharing it in common. Our laws, for example...our court system...our concepts of land ownership...our form of government...our concept of freedom for the individual...are all based on British (WASP) tradition....even though only a small number of us are British.

You can choose to believe this or not..( I find it SOMEWHAT reasonable...though multiculturalism may change that in the future, as assimilation becomes more and more an 'optional' thing)...but I believe that that's what AzBear meant..that Obama isn't an 'African', nor is he his mother's 'ethnicity' (whatever THAT was), but he's culturally an American, and 'American cultural concepts and parameters, SO far, have been based on 'WASP'-originated principles....not Italian; not Irish; not Arab; not any other set of 'rules'.

As I said..this is open to PLENTY of debate....but this, I believe is what AzBear's 'WASP' reference meant.
Bingo!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In a literal sense, you're correct. The large majority of Americans are NOT wasps by ethnicity...but there's a school of thought that ALL assimilated Americans have become partly WASP in culture, since it was WASPS who actually put the idea in motion to start the country...and our legal system, etc, is based on that. This 'thinking' states that Italian-Americans are not Italians...they're 'assimilated Americans'...ditto for Irish, Greek, Russian, Hispanics, etc etc....these diverse people have become "one" by adopting the WASP-based culture of America, and sharing it in common. Our laws, for example...our court system...our concepts of land ownership...our form of government...our concept of freedom for the individual...are all based on British (WASP) tradition....even though only a small number of us are British.

You can choose to believe this or not..( I find it SOMEWHAT reasonable...though multiculturalism may change that in the future, as assimilation becomes more and more an 'optional' thing)...but I believe that that's what AzBear meant..that Obama isn't an 'African', nor is he his mother's 'ethnicity' (whatever THAT was), but he's culturally an American, and 'American cultural concepts and parameters, SO far, have been based on 'WASP'-originated principles....not Italian; not Irish; not Arab; not any other set of 'rules'.

As I said..this is open to PLENTY of debate....but this, I believe is what AzBear's 'WASP' reference meant.
I see. Thanks for clarifying though I dont know that I agree with this identity. I agree that we should have one common culture and I believe that to be the "American" culture. I dont think we need to identify that as WASP because for one, not all are White or Anglo Saxon and much less Protestant. That term fits perfectly in the begining of the foundation of this nation but this nation has evolved. As I understand, and I hold dear, this country is a "free country" where people can choose to belong to any religion they wish. Therefore, the "protestant" part longer applies though I do understand why it was there. I consider myself to be assimilated, yet I also hold dear to me this other culture that I was born into. I have White in me but it clearly does not identify me...at least not in this culture. Therefore, I dont identify with this term. I like to be considered simply "American" without the WASP and I know many, many who would also agree with me.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
There are several problems with a lot of the replies here.

The only way to really deal with this immigration problem is to focus on amnesty .
no, never again

Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
I see. Thanks for clarifying though I dont know that I agree with this identity. I agree that we should have one common culture and I believe that to be the "American" culture. I dont think we need to identify that as WASP because for one, not all are White or Anglo Saxon and much less Protestant. That term fits perfectly in the begining of the foundation of this nation but this nation has evolved. As I understand, and I hold dear, this country is a "free country" where people can choose to belong to any religion they wish. Therefore, the "protestant" part longer applies though I do understand why it was there. I consider myself to be assimilated, yet I also hold dear to me this other culture that I was born into. I have White in me but it clearly does not identify me...at least not in this culture. Therefore, I dont identify with this term. I like to be considered simply "American" without the WASP and I know many, many who would also agree with me.
I'm not too fond of the term, either....and, having no English ancestry, and not being a Protestant, I normally would never call myself a WASP, except in that narrow (above) definition..it IS a stretch, I agree.

"WASP" to MY knowledge, began several decades ago, describing what were REALLY 'WASPs'....that is, the old-line 'blue bloods' of East Coast society...and their stuffy, pompous ways, and their perpetual 'war' with all immigrants...Jews, Catholics, "ethnics"......NOBODY was good enough to be 'WASP' except the chosen few. The term had a definite 'snooty' connotation, and WASPs became fair game for many jokes. Remember the Three Stooges?....the movie 'Caddyshack'?...Mrs. Drysdale in 'The Beverly Hillbillies'?..ALL of these a favorite subject of American humor, the trashing of stuffy, pretentious, upper class 'WASPs' by those 'beneath them'.

Gradually, the term WASP changed to mean literally White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant.(etc) as you said. But I never did like the term....I still don't....and I seldom use it in normal conversation. I'm not sure it really describes anything meaningful in today's American reality....only in terms of history.

(I ALSO hate the silly term, "ethnics"...as in "ethnic" restaurants...or an "ethnic" neighborhood. Aren't ALL of us 'ethnics'? I feel 'ethnic' is simply a code-word for 'non-Wasp'. But isn't 'White Anglo-Saxon' an ethnicity? Of COURSE it is....)...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Anymore: a 'WASP's' direct analog would be a Hispanic--------and which would behoove American Hispanics to start rejecting the latter term since it is fast becoming derogatory.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I know this doesn't solve all the problems but maybe what we can do is set up a "visa" of sorts for people who want to come here to work. Let that visa be valid for three to six months at a time. The earnings they make should be taxed. They get a W-2 and all that. Maybe after a certain number of years, if they want citizenship, they can start applying so long as they have a clean record: paying taxes and not getting into trouble. Just a thought.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I know this doesn't solve all the problems but maybe what we can do is set up a "visa" of sorts for people who want to come here to work. Let that visa be valid for three to six months at a time. The earnings they make should be taxed. They get a W-2 and all that. Maybe after a certain number of years, if they want citizenship, they can start applying so long as they have a clean record: paying taxes and not getting into trouble. Just a thought.
Great idea...and when the visa runs out....you plan for them to just pack up and return home? What if they don't want to go?...THEN what?. The point is, it's VERY easy to get people INTO the USA....just try getting them OUT....good luck with that!

We had SOMETHING like this a few decades ago, called the 'bracero' program. It worked great...all sides were happy...until some people decided they wanted to stay on ANYWAY, after their time was up. Then the 'agreement' was off...and two or three amnesties later, the results are what you see on this forum.

GREAT idea...but we've tried the 'logical, nice-guy' approach before. Did it work? I don't know...does it look to YOU like it worked?...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Here illegally? NO jobs, NO social services, NO health care, NO "anchor" babies. Learn English, come with something to contribute. Want to come here? Go home and do it right. That's all it would take. We don't need walls, fences, etc. Just common sense.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,305,303 times
This one is easy: Simply enforce the laws that are already on the books and KICK THEM OUT. I am all for immigration, our nation was founded on the hard work of immigrants from all over the world, and I am the decendent of Irish immigrents who came here when "NO IRISH NEED APPLY" was a popular phrase. But to be here illegally is ILLEGAL. All we ask is that if you want to come to America, you do it the right way and be one of us - American!

I agree with the following measures:

As illegal aliens are caught in raids etc. deport them immediately. Any illegal alien should be barred from ever coming here legally. Anyone caught here illegally a second time should face a major prison sentance. I know, finacially this is stupid, but we cannot allow them to keep sneaking in without consequence. Lock up a few for 10 years stints and their cousins won't come.

Enforce all current immigration laws. And not just with ICE, with ALL law enforcment, including state and local police forces. If you are arrested and cannot provide proof of legal residency, you should be sent to ICE for investigation of citizenship.

Ensure E-verify is used by everyone, both private and public sector. Huge penalties and fines to employers who are caught hiring illegals. We cannot allow the few jobs we still have left to go to non citizens, especially ones that don't pay taxes.

Cut off all freebies-welfare, health care, sec 8, etc. to illegal aliens. DUH - we simply cannot afford to keep giving illegals a free ride when we have so many fellow American citizens who need the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration