Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 PM

396 posts, read 1,431,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If they're knowingly living off of the same services that we as tax payers are kicking in for (health care, needing the police, firemen, etc.,), I'd say that's "morally devoid". If you take advantage of everything we're paying for and not paying into as well, you're morally devoid as well as a criminal.
DITTO DITTO DITTO.... The problem of criminals invading our country has become my pet peeve over the past few years and it will be THE major issue I base my votes on in the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,529,581 times
Morally devoid is an interesting choice of words...

If illegal aliens are morally devoid, then the hiring, transporting, and encouraging Mexicans to come here illegally is then an even greater conscience act of moral depravity. It seems that to deal with the real issue of US southern border control, we have to look further up the chain at the corporations, lobbyists, and public servants who through action or lack thereof are aiding and abetting this activity. Solve that problem, then this issue gets solved. Until then, it seems the illegal Mexican immigrant is an easy target to vent the underlying fear for our safety in a post 9/11 America.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 PM

362 posts, read 1,343,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
I wouldn't say someone is morally devoid just because they enter a country illegally, no.

That'd be like calling someone immoral because they jaywalk or speed.
You do have a point.

I just don't know that I would equate entering another country and living there illegally, with jaywalking, but that's just my humble opinion. I hope I didn't offend you when I said that many people automatically think Central and South Americans when speaking of illegal aliens, because that's what many of us see in our own cities, and see, hear, and read the most in the media. I was not trying to be offensive...I was trying to explain why many of us automatically think of hispanic people when speaking of illegal aliens, even though we certainly realize that illegal aliens come from many, many countries. I was defending BOTH sides of the argument.

Anyway, I don't want to argue. I'm not personally familiar with Charlotte's illegal alien *problem*. I'm definitely familiar with Phoenix's illegal alien problem, though, and it's quite scary. In places such as Phoenix, legal citizens don't just come in contact with illegal aliens in the capacity of hiring them to do yardwork or on tv. It is an ongoing MAJOR problem, that we come in contact with every day...whether it's in traffic (my husband was rear-ended two years ago at a traffic light by an illegal alien who didn't speak English, didn't understand traffic signals, didn't have a driver's license, and most importantly, didn't have insurance)...whether it's in our workplaces (my mom's workplace was burglarized TWICE in the past 14 months by a group of illegal immigrant men who have since been captured. Three of the men admitted to stealing the televisions and computer equipment to pawn so that they could feed their families.)...whether it's in our homes (last year, the house across the street from a good friend of mine was raided and found to be a meth lab, where almost two dozen illegal aliens lived and made drugs. Since then, the property values in her neighborhood have declined a lot, because her previously *upscale, gated community* has been labelled as a "bad area." For you to say that no one who makes comments on these boards has any room to speak is very irresponsible. Just because you have not had any contact with illegal aliens, and you have not had any negative life experiences involving them directly, and you see the entire situation differently (which I think is perfectly fine), doesn't mean that you should downplay others' viewpoints regarding the problem...and it IS a problem in many places.

Again, I don't want to argue and I don't intend to offend anyone. I'm just trying to point out that the discussion of illegal aliens is a valid discussion, and it shouldn't be discounted so easily.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 PM

239 posts, read 876,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The illegals in the link that I posted were living off of government assistance to help deal with their wives and children. Take away the fact that they were also drug traffickers and just concentrate on the government assistance. They're not paying taxes yet living off of yours and mine. That's being morally devoid. If you've accepted any kind of service that's paid for in part by tax payers while not being one yourself, you're stealing from the system, in essence stealing from you and me, therefore that makes you morally devoid.

I have no sympathy for these people. Get rid of them.

You are aware that not all illegal immigrants recieve government assistance and traffic drugs, correct? I agree with you on deporting drug traffickers, murderers, etc, but by the sounds of your post, I'm lead to believe that in your eyes, all illegal immigrants ('these people') are the same. Just checking.

If they weren't here, do you really think you'd be paying less in taxes? That's amusing.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM

193 posts, read 244,299 times
Quote:
I know illegal immigration will never stop, so I decide not to get bitter about something that will not change. People will always find their way here.
That's where you're wrong, Shanna. We could round them all up, deport them, and build a wall to make sure that they don't come back.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'm lead to believe that in your eyes, all illegal immigrants ('these people') are the same. Just checking.
One thing in common--- they're all criminals by coming to this country illegally. You can differentiate the levels of criminals all you want, but bottom line, they're all breaking the law.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:13 PM

@ICDWTM -- your last post is great-- I can see your point of view. It's all good.

What gets my goat is seeing some people generalize and lump people into groups, that drives me NUTS.

I know some people see 'brown Spanish-speakers' and automatically assume that they are drug dealers who came to the US to live off of us, when most of the time it's not the case. For every news story you see about a drug dealing or murderous illegal alien, there are hundreds or thousands more who are trying to live as 'honestly' (for lack of a better term) by working and maintaining a normal household and family. Of course they aren't going to some out and say 'hey look @ me, gov't, I want to pay taxes' because they would most likely get deported.

Some people seem to dehumanize the Central/South American illegal immigrants in their minds, for some reason... They're not monsters. This sounds so corny, but they real people with real lives.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
One thing in common--- they're all criminals by coming to this country illegally. You can differentiate the levels of criminals all you want, but bottom line, they're all breaking the law.

You drive the speed limit every day? Bottom line, we're all criminals then..

I'm not going back and forth anymore, some of these responses are getting silly. 'Round them up and build a wall'? That comment speaks for itself. Again, I guess you fail to realize that there are illegal immigrants from every single country in the world in the US. Not just from south of the US border.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You drive the speed limit every day? Bottom line, we're all criminals then..

I'm not going back and forth anymore, some of these responses are getting silly. 'Round them up and build a wall'? That comment speaks for itself.
Sure I do--- don't you?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,170 times
Quote:
You are aware that not all illegal immigrants recieve government assistance and traffic drugs, correct? I agree with you on deporting drug traffickers, murderers, etc, but by the sounds of your post, I'm lead to believe that in your eyes, all illegal immigrants ('these people') are the same. Just checking.

If they weren't here, do you really think you'd be paying less in taxes? That's amusing.
I never said anyone would be paying less in taxes. If you read my post I also said "take away the drug trafficking" as well. However what's really amusing is you comparing someone who's here illegally to a jaywalker or speeding. Now that's hysterical.

All illegal immigrants should be thrown out of this country. The simple fact that NC needs to build an illegal immigration court is proof positive that the sheer amount is an increasing problem. If any illegal immigrant has accepted one service paid for by the tax payers, they're thieves and should swiftly be deported. I'd rather see my tax money going to throwing these individuals out of this country and increasing our border patrol than paying one more dime into their free health care.

Choosing to give amnesty to illegal immigrants because someone feels there are too many is like saying, "We'll give amnesty to every tax cheat because there's no way we could round them all up...just let 'em go...". That kind of lax attitude is what got us into this problem in the first place. Maintaining the status quo would be far more harmful than good. I'd rather take a proactive stance as opposed to "oh well, they're here already, can't stop 'em now...". That's destructive.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 03-30-2007 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration