Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Enemy? They aren't the enemy. They are just trying to make a better life for themselves. Quite honestly, I would do the same if I were living in poverty and had easy access to come over the border and give my kids a better life.

But, I agree that if this is a problem, the border is the issue, but let's not blame people for trying to have a better life.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Sounds like we need to bring our troops home and have them protect our borders. The enemy isn't in Iraq, there here in our neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times
So many illegals......they have there own businesses and many other are catering specifically to illegals. At the current pace America is going we will be a first world country on the media only. The people living every day lives below the CEO level will be reduced to the lower class a have a murky existance of the many illegals now. America will move toward a 3 world country county with the absortpion of illegals huge debts welcome to Merica

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Enemy? They aren't the enemy. They are just trying to make a better life for themselves. Quite honestly, I would do the same if I were living in poverty and had easy access to come over the border and give my kids a better life.

But, I agree that if this is a problem, the border is the issue, but let's not blame people for trying to have a better life.

Dawn

If we don't defend our finances, our property and our way of life our country could be overtaken by the illegal residents that are already here. That was my point. We don't need to be fighting an "unknown enemy" in another country when we have people right here in our own backyards that are defeating our economy. And, yes when they take our jobs, use our government services, refuse to pay taxes and register as legal residents they are the enemy.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 AM

193 posts, read 245,133 times
Quote:

Dawn
I could easily have a better life if I were to start car jacking people for a living. Would you blame me for trying?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
An example:

Lets say you live in a neighborhood and there is a natural disaster of some kind, like a tornado. You have one of the only houses that was untouched by the tornado, but most of your neighbors who are your friends and family survived the tornado but lost their homes.

You have an extra room in your house, so you would probably take in a family member or close friends. What about the hundred other people that come to your door needing shelter? Yes you feel bad for them but you cannot possibly provide food and shelter for the rest of these people. Many would have to be turned away for you to continue to survive.

Kind of the position America is in. We cannot continue to import poverty and continue accept people because of other nations failures. Where do we stop? There are many countries that have far worse problems than Mexico. Why should Mexicans or other nationalities have an advantage over other people?

I agree that the border must be controlled first, but I am also aware that many enter this country legally but with the intent to stay past their visas, which doesnt make it any better.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:06 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,427 times
Quote:

Dawn
The quality of my children's lives and all of those of us who are here legally should not suffer because of it.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
You're right. I approve of our country's altruistic ventures to help the less fortunate but we can't take them on as our own problems. We are not the wealthy, strong nation we once were and it's because we have partially exhausted our resources. How many more families can we afford to put on the already stressed Food Stamp Program or the Medicaid Program? Do the math...economics 101. Someone has to be putting into the system for everyone who is taking from it. When an "anchor child" is born in the US and instantly becomes a citizen he/she is eligible for Medicaid and Food Stamps. The Food Stamp allotment for that child is then based on the family size, so if there are ten other family member the allotment is eleven, not one. That's a lot of mouths to feed just because a child happened to be born here. And, that's a heck of an award for a family who broke the law by entering the country illegally.

If they want to do it the right way that's great. Become a citizen, get a job, pay taxes, learn the language and the laws.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:

Dawn
They're an enemy to every decent, hard working person who can't get a "get by" job because of illegals lowballing the markets. They're an enemy to the economy when they take as much money as they can and toss it back to their families in other countries (i.e. Mexico) as opposed to funneling it back into their communities or the state. They're an enemy to every cop or fire fighter who puts his or her life on the line for somebody who shouldn't be here in the first place. This country's foundation was built on the backs of hard working immigrants, not the leeches of society floating in on rafts and ducking the INS.

Back in New Jersey they'd be hanging around in groups outside of 7/11's, Dunkin' Donuts, morning deli type places. If they weren't hanging outside then the businesses that would hire them would be waiting in the lots. If I had my way I'd make it against the law for that kind of solicitation and hold the lot owner responsible.

And if you came over here illegally, regardless of the reason, I'd certainly expect you to be tossed out with the rest of them.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I still say fingers are being pointed in the wrong direction.

And what exactly are YOU doing to stop this? It seems that I hear a LOT of complaining and a lot of anger and hostility toward "those people" but I don't see a lot of action. Are you lobbying? Writing letters to congress? Better yet, are you educating the ones who are now here and staying so that they can be contributing members of society in the future?

Is illegal immigration an issue? Yes, it is. But nothing will change from sitting back and complaining.

Dawn

Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
I still say fingers are being pointed in the wrong direction.

And what exactly are YOU doing to stop this? It seems that I hear a LOT of complaining and a lot of anger and hostility toward "those people" but I don't see a lot of action. Are you lobbying? Writing letters to congress? Better yet, are you educating the ones who are now here and staying so that they can be contributing members of society in the future?

Is illegal immigration an issue? Yes, it is. But nothing will change from sitting back and complaining.

Dawn
How are fingers being pointed in the wrong direction?

And no, I don't want to educate the ones that are staying here to become future contributing members of society. That George Bush anmesty program is a load of b.s.. I want them thrown the hell out and then have them come back in as tax paying citizens. They can become future contributing members that way. Writing a letter to congress will do no good. What will do good is voting out the politicians who choose to turn the blind eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration