Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not offensive as it is not meant to be. I am considering moving to Charlotte from Phoenix. I have seen our city of Phoenix over run with problems that involve illegal immigration. School, hospitals, gangs, violence increases, job loss, and return of diseases. What is the status of Charlotte's illegal immigration problem. I have read many articles that are somewhat negative regarding this and see a few areas and employers that cater directly to illegals is this true and if so what areas of Charlotte are effected? My husband is in law enforcement and I am a nurse, we are conservative and looking for a nice area to settle without going through the Phoenix ordeal again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 AM

193 posts, read 245,320 times
You are right concerned about illegal activity in an area to which you are considering moving. Why would anyone consider that offensive?

In answer to your question: Yes, Charlotte is fast developing the problems you described with illegal immigrants.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
I am here now and came form Calif.Night and day as to what you see in regards to this. I know Phoenix is similar to Calif. in those regards and this in nothing compared! Dont worry

Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,907 times
Can we assume it is similar to the crime situation and is more localized in some areas vs. others? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 37,584 times
The crime situation is not that rampant here. I have clients that came from southern California, stating the crime is a non-issue here compared to there. The crime is very localized especially on north tryon in the University area of Mecklenburg. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
Can we assume it is similar to the crime situation and is more localized in some areas vs. others? Thanks.
That would be correct. And truthfully they seem to be the victims of crime themselves much more often than they commit crimes. Native criminals have caught on to how illegals and immigrents in general don't trust banks and tend to have cash on them at all times.

The BIGGEST problem we have in NC and Charlotte with illegals is that even though they may not read English they are driving all over town, often causing accidents because they either don't understand the signs OR they are driving drunk. There seems to be a real cultural difference between us on that issue. Drinking and driving is something they do all the time in their home countries and don't understand why they shouldn't be able to do it here. We have had several VERY tragic accidents where drunk illegals have killed some innocent folks in horrific crashes. This is something our govenment needs to get a handle on, and quickly, before more people are murdered that way.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:52 PM

193 posts, read 245,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
It is localized until they drink a 12 pack, get behind the wheel, and drive the wrong way on 485.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 PM

239 posts, read 877,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
... often causing accidents because they either don't understand the signs OR they are driving drunk. There seems to be a real cultural difference between us on that issue. Drinking and driving is something they do all the time in their home countries and don't understand why they shouldn't be able to do it here.

This isn't true, it's not a cultural thing.

People from other countries drive drunk in the US for the same reason that Americans may drive drunk in the US.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post

People from other countries drive drunk in the US for the same reason that Americans may drive drunk in the US.
No, they don't. At least not the majority. There was a big story covering this issue in the media here last fall. Illegal immigrants and a spokeswoman for advocacy groups for illegals each stated this to be the case - that it IS a cultural thing. This advocacy group is trying to educate the illegals and actually positions people outside the popular latino bar hangouts on the weekends passing out flyers explaining that in America is it a crime to drink and drive. Believe it or not, they don't have these kinds of laws in central America - so many are ignorant to them when they come here.

Old habits are hard to break so even when they are informed that it is illegal many don't care - those interveiwed admitted that! They think they should be able to just live here the way they did back in whereever they came from. When I heard that my blood boiled. Advocates for these folks are keenly aware that this issue has made many Americans hostile towards the illegal and some legal immigrants.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post

I know people in the US drink and drive but they know they're taking a chance. I think it's more culturally accepted in other countries. I have a friend who lived in Argentina for a few years and was surprised to see a Police Officer standing on the street corner downing a beer in the middle of the day. They just have different customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration