U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jim Hayes, ICE director of detention and removal, said he is aware of only 10 cases of U.S. citizens detained over the past five years. Even if combined with the cases found by the AP, "that's not an epidemic," Hayes said. He refused to identify any cases, citing privacy laws.

He added that agents investigate any claims to U.S. citizenship, but they often turn out to be false. He said U.S. citizens sometimes claim to be foreign-born, and that immigration officials never knowingly hold someone they can "definitively" determine is a citizen.
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mistaken_for_illegal_i;_ylt=AtvOWGfKpxUxY5j4RitCCU oV6w8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJwN25lZzkxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwND EyL21pc3Rha2VuX2Zvcl9pbGxlZ2FsX2kEY3BvcwM0BHBvcwM0 BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDYXBpbXBhY3RjaXRp - broken link)

OK: I feel bad for the odd US citizen who was wrongfully detained by ICE; that stated, some the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the one.

Frankly; I am amazed that so few citizens are 'deported' considering the huge numbers of illegal aliens here who indeed get picked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 02:58 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,810,130 times
Citizens wouldn't be picked up if knowing English and anything about the USA were still a requirement. Besides how many of the citizens picked up were actually dual citizens, and as dual citizens it shouldn't be seen as a terrible tragedy to go back to their first country for a visit now and then.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 PM

41 posts, read 192,602 times
The funny thing is there have been a few cases where illegal aliens have been deported on numerous occasions and somehow somebody did their homework and found out that the same person deported actually "derived" citizenship from their parents.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM

32,885 posts, read 30,138,774 times
You are supposed to carry id with you at all times, if you don't it's really not that smart. If you get hit by a car who are they supposed to contact? Jogging, biking or at the mall you should carry id.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,857,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are supposed to carry id with you at all times, if you don't it's really not that smart. If you get hit by a car who are they supposed to contact? Jogging, biking or at the mall you should carry id.
I know of no law in the US requiring American citizens to carry identification at all times. Sounds like a police state to me . . . is that what you are suggesting?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,810,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I know of no law in the US requiring American citizens to carry identification at all times. Sounds like a police state to me . . . is that what you are suggesting?
If you've ever been stopped by border control, you'd see how it's done. They ask you some questions, usually in English and it's quite easy to detect American citizens. It's true that immigrants no longer feel the need to assimilate, learn even the most basic things about the USA and refuse to learn English and that's what makes them end up deported.

No English speaking, USA born citizen with a very basic knowledge of USA cities and states has ever been accidently deported. It's kind of like being able to detect that Elton John or Queen Elizabeth might not be from around here, although they likely are far more familiar with American culture than many recent immigrants living here and taking every advantage of this country are.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 AM

8,877 posts, read 9,008,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly; I am amazed that so few citizens are 'deported' considering the huge numbers of illegal aliens here who indeed get picked up.
I am as well. However, even if a few anchor babies get thrown out with the bathwater, I won't be shedding any tears.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 AM

163 posts, read 203,389 times
Quote:
No it simply sounds like common sense...for everyone everywhere.

As 1AngryTaxPayer stated: " If you get hit by a car who are they supposed to contact?" If you died while out in public, wouldn't you want your family to be notified? Or would you prefer to be buried in Potter's Field as a John/Jane Doe?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
As per the other posters: carrying ID is simply common sense; I may be stereotypically 'American' in looks and culture, but, a LEO if he wished to be a hardass could take me in if I was carrying no ID------------why should a person who fits the profile of an illegal alien be treated less harshly?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,345,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I didn't know that my ID would have an emergency contact number....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or