Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(CNN) -- Multiple Obama administration officials tell CNN that the White House is not pushing to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill this year.

The White House insisted that Thursday's New York Times story reporting that President Obama would start addressing immigration "isn't news." Administration officials say the president previously told members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce that he's always planned to start discussions on immigration reform this year.

"There are a lot of things on his plate and a lot of pressing issues relating to the economy. I don't think he expects that it will be done this year," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Thursday.
Obama not pushing to pass immigration reform this year - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
He's not crazy nor is he politically suicidal. As I stated in an earlier post, he's doing what he needs to do to shut up the whining and complaining of LaRaza and the rest of the ethnocentric racists. After all LaRaza, LuLac, et. al got the illegals to the polls didn't they? It's only fair that Obama at least appears to be keeping his of the bargain. After all he can't sign a bill that never makes it to the oval office, can he

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
He's not crazy nor is he politically suicidal. As I stated in an earlier post, he's doing what he needs to do to shut up the whining and complaining of LaRaza and the rest of the ethnocentric racists. After all LaRaza, LuLac, et. al got the illegals to the polls didn't they? It's only fair that Obama at least appears to be keeping his of the bargain. After all he can't sign a bill that never makes it to the oval office, can he
Agreed. The illegal alien peddlers don’t want amnesty for their exploitable workforce, and Obama knows it. They need only give the illegals hope for a path to citizenship. He’ll continue to have their support, as long as it “looks like” he’s supporting their cause.

Furthermore, he needs to test the waters to ensure ample opposition. After all, they can’t blame the mean-spirited racists for thwarting their attempts if there is not enough opposition.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I hope you're right about that - it is crazy to think a foreign population living here illegally would hold so much power over this country.

It's one thing for someone to come here even illegally, stay for a little while and work to get some money ahead or help their family in some crisis. And it's one thing for someone to come here for the adventure of it, skip getting a visa, however to blatantly break the laws, commit every kind of fraud, steal identities and then demand that they have some God-given right to do so is beyond the pale. Or to conceive and give birth as a way to exploit their own children and demand they be given legality over those who have patiently filled out forms, paid their dues, been responsible, waited in line is ridiculous.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
While I hope this is true, I guess we will have to wait and see. Unfortunately, however, the Obama administration is not helping to fix the problem just as the previous administration did not do anything to help. In the recent raid in Washington, illegal aliens were given work permits and allowed to remain in the country. Obama has shown no interest in using E-verify-he, Napolitano and others may claim they are for E-verify but they are not. These things are wrong and they do not give me any confidence in this president with regard to upholding immigration law. Truthfully the only difference I see between Obama and Bush regarding immigration is that Bush held raids to appease those of us who want laws enforced-to make it seem like he was getting "tough" where Obama has Napolitano halting raids and giving illegal aliens work permits to stay here.

In the past these politicians have tried to add amnesty to such bills as military spending so we need to be on top of things and be prepared to fight whatever attempt at amnesty, benefits, etc. for illegals come along. While it would be great if Obama does not call for amnesty, we need to be ready to fight whatever comes along. There is more to fighting this problem than just amnesty. We need full enforcement of our immigration laws, something I don't believe Obama has an interest in-the same way Bush didn't.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
Obama is very serious about immigration "reform" so I think he will try his best to get something passed this year. I also think there will be a path to citizenship instead of encouraging self-deportation. When do you guys think the next amnesty will be, I think it will probably be in 2025 (2020 if the economy recovers quickly).

Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Obama is very serious about immigration "reform" so I think he will try his best to get something passed this year. I also think there will be a path to citizenship instead of encouraging self-deportation. When do you guys think the next amnesty will be, I think it will probably be in 2025 (2020 if the economy recovers quickly).
Remember with Mexico's imploding birthrate (almost at replacement level and dropping) by 2020 there may be few illegal Mexican nationals here in the USA left to 'amnesty' since most of them would have headed back SoB complete with their minor age Anchors.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
It's a little difficult to know for sure what Obama is about. He's a politician and like most politicians will do the "expedient" thing. Obama was also against the war in Iraq and it looks like he isn't going to do anything real quick on that. He paints himself as for the people but so far the big corporations and bankers are doing just fine.

I don't really care if he says he's going to start the discussion about amnesty. That in itself isn't bad although there shouldn't be too much discussion about rewarding those who choose to break the laws.

Before the election he also said before amnesty, illegals would have to learn English and pay some fines and pay back taxes. Of course "some" English can be pretty arbitrary, does "some" English mean 2 words? 4 words? Ability to navigate in English? But the best thing he said was they would not go to the front of the line but to the back of the line which implies they will not be moved ahead of those who have made the effort to abide by the laws.

The devil is in the details.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
I'm pretty sure that Obama is not addressing immigration reform only because, in this economy and in this politically explosive moment in American history, to do so would be political suicide. And it would be political suicide because he has every intention of offering them a path to citizenship. He's totally in line with the Kennedys on this issue. Unless the anti-illegal immigration people can rid themselves of the racist nutjobs in their midst, their concerns will NOT be taken seriously by this--or any--administration. That's just a political reality.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'm pretty sure that Obama is not addressing immigration reform only because, in this economy and in this politically explosive moment in American history, to do so would be political suicide. And it would be political suicide because he has every intention of offering them a path to citizenship. He's totally in line with the Kennedys on this issue. Unless the anti-illegal immigration people can rid themselves of the racist nutjobs in their midst, their concerns will NOT be taken seriously by this--or any--administration. That's just a political reality.
Ditto the pro-illegal crowd and their racist organizations which rally people to march and make unjust demands all the while speaking a foreign language and waving a foreign flag on our soil. It's not going to happen in the near future. If it appears to be a taliban style take-over be prepared to meet fierce opposition from the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration