U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times

Advertisements

Don't take this as an attack, I am sincerely curious as to why the opponents of illegal immigration are losing this battle?

I just read this article:
Illegal immigrants detained, then freed to work - CNN.com

On the front page of CNN it states:

Quote:
Now Arreola has a legal permit to work in the United States, and opponents of illegal immigration are furious.
One thing I notice is that most anti-illegals (CD is no exception) are furious, which may be rightfully so. However, being angry doesn't always get the job done IMO. This ferocity carries emotion that can be misconceived as an alternate "hidden" agenda (classism, racism, Xenophonic)...hate filled.

Do you think one of the reasons why this battle is being lost, is your furious approach?

Perhaps a change in strategy could do you some good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Don't take this as an attack, I am sincerely curious as to why the opponents of illegal immigration are losing this battle?

I just read this article:
Illegal immigrants detained, then freed to work - CNN.com

On the front page of CNN it states:

One thing I notice is that most anti-illegals (CD is no exception) are furious, which may be rightfully so. However, being angry doesn't always get the job done IMO. This ferocity carries emotion that can be misconceived as an alternate "hidden" agenda (classism, racism, Xenophonic)...hate filled.

Do you think one of the reasons why this battle is being lost, is your furious approach?

Perhaps a change in strategy could do you some good?
In any war: a few battles will be lost before final victory.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In any war: a few battles will be lost before final victory.

Any good General would have many strategies.

The Bull Charge, doesn't always work, rarely these days honestly.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
bek even with all the crooked politics justice eventually wins.
what is disturbing is so many churches-- last bastion of morality-- or whats left of it--are so often standing against the law and protecting the outlaws.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek even with all the crooked politics justice eventually wins.
It appears "Team Amnesty" is winning right now, I have them way ahead.
The anti-illegal playbook is old, too easy to counter with racism, xeno and hate.

You better hope for OT.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what is disturbing is so many churches-- last bastion of morality-- or whats left of it--are so often standing against the law and protecting the outlaws.
Yet another play for amnesty, breaking of families, hispanics are Catholics for the most part, the Church will side with them.

I just don't see how anti-illegals can win, without a major shift in strategy.

Ferocity is not going to do it, its going to be a landslide.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,329,385 times
Default To live and die by one's ideology...

Lady Liberty stands arm outstretched welcoming the poor and downtrodden. "Give us your poor, tired..." This is our history. Land of the free. Home of the brave. Right?

But really. Philosophically speaking, we live and die with this code. Perhaps we need a new statue. One extending the middle finger instead of a welcome sign. "Don't give us your poor..." But aren't such shifts in attitude (180 degrees?) hard to come by?

I know the issue is largely one of legality but we have become whatever it is we are, good and bad, because of our open policies. Is it really that hard to legally demand someone register a Social Security to enable taxation? Pay your "fair share" or be sent packing? Apparently, it is. Gosh darn ACLU!?!?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Lady Liberty stands arm outstretched welcoming the poor and downtrodden. "Give us your poor, tired..." This is our history. Land of the free. Home of the brave. Right?

But really. Philosophically speaking, we live and die with this code. Perhaps we need a new statue. One extending the middle finger instead of a welcome sign. "Don't give us your poor..." But aren't such shifts in attitude (180 degrees?) hard to come by?

I know the issue is largely one of legality but we have become whatever it is we are, good and bad, because of our open policies. Is it really that hard to legally demand someone register a Social Security to enable taxation? Pay your "fair share" or be sent packing? Apparently, it is. Gosh darn ACLU!?!?
No it is not hard to demand that, what you describe is Amnesty though or some sort of visa program. Anti-illegals would be furious!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM

103 posts, read 121,169 times
In the best country of the world......Justice will always prevail.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Just remember this:

If there is some sort of atrocity on US soil committed by a Mexican drug cartel---------then there will be hell to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration