Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Thats fine but there is more hole than fence.

150 miles fence
620 miles Texas Mexico border
The point is that at the "holes" there are more Border Patrol in those areas. Fences don't work alone. It takes manpower and high tech surveilance equipment also but fences slow the intruders down and physical barriers do help the Border Patrol. From what I understand it is a double layed fence. It's not just some cattle fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
I look forward to day we can tear it down...hopefully within my lifetime.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I look forward to day we can tear it down...hopefully within my lifetime.
Yeah, wide open and unprotected borders is such a desirable thing.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah, wide open and unprotected borders is such a desirable thing.
We're nearly at a "Sudetenland Situation" as it is.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
No, we aren't almost in a "Sudetenland" type situation. Regardless, how would we be able to pay for a border fence, serveilance, etc? I understand that at one point you wanted the military involved? How?

It's interesting since the fence in San Diego simply moved crossers further east, thus there was really no net difference (except in pocket books).

Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
We're nearly at a "Sudetenland Situation" as it is.
Please explain. If discussing Mexico with some sort of reconquista agenda; I think not. Remember that Mx is a pipsqueak compared to the USA both economically as well as militarily----------unlike Nazi Germany and Czechoslovakia back in 1938.

The much greater scenario would be Nuevo Leon, Sonora, etc. devolving to the USA (at the Mexican peoples' request) if the drug wars become much worse. Google Juarez and blue helmets.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
If the fence was not doing it's job you wouldn't see them trying to cross by boat. What the rest of the fence would cost would be recouped in a number of years, probably 10 by the savings to social services, ie education and medical alone.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If the fence was not doing it's job you wouldn't see them trying to cross by boat. What the rest of the fence would cost would be recouped in a number of years, probably 10 by the savings to social services, ie education and medical alone.

What Fence, you all talk as if there is some long physical barrier keeping people out.

Look at where the completed fence is in your state, and if you dont live in a border state, take a trip down here and see what you dont understand.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What Fence, you all talk as if there is some long physical barrier keeping people out.

Look at where the completed fence is in your state, and if you dont live in a border state, take a trip down here and see what you dont understand.
No one has said that. Try reading what was actually said. Those areas with fences are a deterrant in that area. The illegals move on down the line to try and enter where there is no fence as someone else put it, it is called "penning". These fences help the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. If they don't work in some capacity then why do the apologists for illegal aliens complain so much about them? Don't me give that worn out excuse about the cost of the fence either because these same people don't seem to give a damn what the social costs and other costs are to our country after they manage to crash our borders. I assure you those associated costs are a lot higher than the costs of the fence and not just in dollars either.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer;12782123[COLOR=red
]If the fence was not doing it's job you wouldn't see them trying to cross by boat.[/color] What the rest of the fence would cost would be recouped in a number of years, probably 10 by the savings to social services, ie education and medical alone.
I just post the figures on what it cost San Diego calilfornia to complete 14 miles of border fence...it was estimated at 1 million per mile. It cost 10 million per mile, or 140 million for that one section, cost overuns and difficult terrain caused the jump in cost.

Obama just called for a Federal spending, to which Rep. John Boenher said that was a start, but much more spending would have to be cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration