U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,906,149 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Tamez's persistent legal fight against the border fence delayed for more than a year the government's efforts to take possession of a quarter acre of land she said was part of a Spanish land grant to her family.

Neither Tamez nor her attorney Peter Schey immediately returned calls seeking comment.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has nearly completed the 670 miles of fencing mandated by Congress along the U.S.-Mexico border. South Texas landowners have proved to be some of its staunchest opponents.

Construction of the border fence in the rural El Calaboz community was already proceeding around Tamez's property.

Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Texas/Southwest (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D97JRQNO2.html - broken link)

Yeah babeeeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,833 posts, read 30,118,328 times
Reputation: 17713
All I can say is, "Git er done!"

If they can take people's land to build a flipping Walmart they can put a fence through someone elses to build the border fence. Besides, they are being paid for it and that stretch is hardly beach front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,906,149 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All I can say is, "Git er done!"

If they can take people's land to build a flipping Walmart they can put a fence through someone elses to build the border fence. Besides, they are being paid for it and that stretch is hardly beach front.
Truer words my friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,628,336 times
Reputation: 2983
In the grand scheme of things, a 'quarter acre' isn't much land....However, I've LONG suspected that some of The Government's stubborn insistence during this 'fence' affair ("The fence MUST GO HERE..it can't POSSIBLY go over THERE")...is an effort to 'annoy' local landowners and turn public sentiment against the fence...

Fences are narrow, and EXTREMELY flexible..they can go "here, there, up and down...over, and AROUND obstacles" at any time. They can have 90 degree corners, 'zig-zags', etc etc etc.

You can't always DO THAT with a freeway, a highway, a gas pipeline, or a utility corridor. Those things MUST run more-or-less along a certain route. But a FENCE? A fence that HAS to run right through a neighborhood, or right across someone's property? Sorry, gentlemen, but I'm not buying it. Fences can go anywhere the builder WANTS them to go....and at the very LEAST, they don't have to "cut things in two".

As for this particular case? As I said, a quarter acre is REALLY not much "land" at all...about the same as a normal suburban lot, in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All I can say is, "Git er done!"

If they can take people's land to build a flipping Walmart they can put a fence through someone elses to build the border fence. Besides, they are being paid for it and that stretch is hardly beach front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In the grand scheme of things, a 'quarter acre' isn't much land....However, I've LONG suspected that some of The Government's stubborn insistence during this 'fence' affair ("The fence MUST GO HERE..it can't POSSIBLY go over THERE")...is an effort to 'annoy' local landowners and turn public sentiment against the fence...

Fences are narrow, and EXTREMELY flexible..they can go "here, there, up and down...over, and AROUND obstacles" at any time. They can have 90 degree corners, 'zig-zags', etc etc etc.

You can't always DO THAT with a freeway, a highway, a gas pipeline, or a utility corridor. Those things MUST run more-or-less along a certain route. But a FENCE? A fence that HAS to run right through a neighborhood, or right across someone's property? Sorry, gentlemen, but I'm not buying it. Fences can go anywhere the builder WANTS them to go....and at the very LEAST, they don't have to "cut things in two".

As for this particular case? As I said, a quarter acre is REALLY not much "land" at all...about the same as a normal suburban lot, in many cases.
Double Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Ohio
668 posts, read 1,848,112 times
Reputation: 806
Its ok, unless its in YOUR BACKYARD...Then all hell is going to break loose because you dont want to give an inch to the Government for thier stinking fence, but your OK with it being in someone else's yard...

You people with double standard make me sick! YOU wont give an inch, but, let the neighbor give up a mile...its not that important...sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,658,378 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Its ok, unless its in YOUR BACKYARD...Then all hell is going to break loose because you dont want to give an inch to the Government for thier stinking fence, but your OK with it being in someone else's yard...

You people with double standard make me sick! YOU wont give an inch, but, let the neighbor give up a mile...its not that important...sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
When securing our borders are involved: sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,891,865 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Its ok, unless its in YOUR BACKYARD...Then all hell is going to break loose because you dont want to give an inch to the Government for thier stinking fence, but your OK with it being in someone else's yard...

You people with double standard make me sick! YOU wont give an inch, but, let the neighbor give up a mile...its not that important...sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Being that you are in Ohio you don't need to worry about the fence, it will never be on your property... It's really none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,783,008 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
When securing our borders are involved: sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Yes, yes, yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Its ok, unless its in YOUR BACKYARD...Then all hell is going to break loose because you dont want to give an inch to the Government for thier stinking fence, but your OK with it being in someone else's yard...

You people with double standard make me sick! YOU wont give an inch, but, let the neighbor give up a mile...its not that important...sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Is the fence coming through YOUR backyard?

BTW, why do you rant and insult posters, then inject God and best wishes in your valediction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top