Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post
Mexico did NOT invoke that war. President Polk ran on the platform of capturing the southwest under manifest destiny. How can anyone not know this?
Absolutely.

Moreover, in 1849 after the fall of Mexico City, Polk sent orders for the army to keep going -- to the tip of South America and take the whole continent for the U.S. But by the time that message reached Mexico City, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo had already been signed on behalf of the U.S., agreeing that the conquest would stop with taking "only" 55% of Mexico's land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM

38 posts, read 123,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Kirim, if only our neighbors here in Los Angeles were as genial and genteel as you seem to be. We are out and out detested by the majority here for being Americans born in the U.S. who speak English.

I know you will do well in your retirement move with your friendly attitude. That's a guaranteed ice-breaker. My brother used to live in Leipers Fork. Good luck to you.
Thank you Fastfilm, We are here in Beautiful middle Tennessee and loving it.
I have great neighbors (not hispanics) that have made us feel at home living in a quiet neighborhood. Just what we always wanted for our retirement.
People in middle Tennessee are warm and friendly. I know that even though I speak english they can tell by my accent (sometimes you never loose it) that I am not an anglo, but we have been treated very well and we have also noticed quite a difference between Miami where we used to live and here. People are more polite, not agressive, not ugly gestures while you are driving. It is tough in Florida, specially in the Miami area and it is a shame. It was wonderful 41 years ago when we moved there from Cuba. It was probably a perfect place to live, not any more.
I wish you all well, we are all entitled to our opinions, only hope that if we cross our pass one day, maybe I can help change your minds a little bit about hispanics. Some of us like it here and love the USA and want to be a good part of it.
God Bless

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 82,768 times
Why don't you move to another country? Hispanics are a growing population and are here to stay. BTW, you dont have to eat the tacos. You can drive by them and completely ignore them. If they are everywhere, there is a high demand for them. Everybody likes tacos.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri cri View Post
Why don't you move to another country? Hispanics are a growing population and are here to stay. BTW, you dont have to eat the tacos. You can drive by them and completely ignore them. If they are everywhere, there is a high demand for them. Everybody likes tacos.
Because I BELONG HERE. This is my country. BTW I like tacos. I like hispanics, just dont like people that think they can trash and use America. Hispanics citizens can stay, illegals ,Hispanic or not can leave.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Could somebody recommend me a community with a low Irish population? I'm tired of those damn rowdy red-haired drunkards lowering property values, overcrowding the hospitals, and sending schoolastic scores into the dumper!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Could somebody recommend me a community with a low Irish population? I'm tired of those damn rowdy red-haired drunkards lowering property values, overcrowding the hospitals, and sending schoolastic scores into the dumper!

hey now!! Not all of us have red hair!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 PM

141 posts, read 228,183 times
If you don't mind a taco stand run by legal residents check out San Antonio Taco on 21st Ave.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
What I don't get about the illegals is that it doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to figure out that they would get further faster and garner more respect if they helped keep their neighborhoods quiet, learned english, kept their kids on a tight leash so that they don't commit crime or become gang members and study in school and didn't blast rancheras to 100db at 2 a.m.

But yet, they disrespect America every single day by blaring that cheesy crap they call music at loud volumes, their kids tagging and shooting up the neighborhood and having a culture where they don't blink if their 15 year old daughter gets pregnant by a 25 year old illiterate gardener and continues the cycle of poverty.

The immigration issue is not about race or ethnicity; it is about comportment and economics. Period. I've grown up around hispanics all my life, have had them as friends (hell, one guy in my neighborhood was the brother of the current head of Bush's Peace Corps; their family came here as farm workers). If illegals tried to assimilate into American culture then there would be far less resentment against them and loads more sympathy.

I have lived overseas and am bilingual (my other language is one of the Asian tongues). When I lived in those countries I tried to learn their language, follow their customs, show respect for their feelings and keep my little corner of their country clean and quiet. The current generation of illegals aren't doing that. Every majority hispanic neighborhood you go to it is a crap hole. The El Modena section of he city of Orange, Panorama City, Santa Ana, La Palma, La Habra, and, increasingly, Anaheim, are pits. There is something culturally wrong with Mexicans that causes them to act with such disregard for the well being of the United States and its citizens. But those with blinders refuse to recognize that.

I'm a liberal and voted against prop 187 because it was just a stupid, wrongheaded piece of legislation, but people need to be realistic and come to terms with what illegals are doing to the U.S. We need to bring our troops home from Iraq and then use them in large scale mass roundups of illegals.

Even hispanics whose families have been in the U.S. for a hundred years look down on the illegals. They call them "wabs." THAT should tell you something.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
What I don't get about the illegals is that it doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to figure out that they would get further faster and garner more respect if they helped keep their neighborhoods quiet, learned english, kept their kids on a tight leash so that they don't commit crime or become gang members and study in school and didn't blast rancheras to 100db at 2 a.m.

But yet, they disrespect America every single day by blaring that cheesy crap they call music at loud volumes, their kids tagging and shooting up the neighborhood and having a culture where they don't blink if their 15 year old daughter gets pregnant by a 25 year old illiterate gardener and continues the cycle of poverty.

The immigration issue is not about race or ethnicity; it is about comportment and economics. Period. I've grown up around hispanics all my life, have had them as friends (hell, one guy in my neighborhood was the brother of the current head of Bush's Peace Corps; their family came here as farm workers). If illegals tried to assimilate into American culture then there would be far less resentment against them and loads more sympathy.

I have lived overseas and am bilingual (my other language is one of the Asian tongues). When I lived in those countries I tried to learn their language, follow their customs, show respect for their feelings and keep my little corner of their country clean and quiet. The current generation of illegals aren't doing that. Every majority hispanic neighborhood you go to it is a crap hole. The El Modena section of he city of Orange, Panorama City, Santa Ana, La Palma, La Habra, and, increasingly, Anaheim, are pits. There is something culturally wrong with Mexicans that causes them to act with such disregard for the well being of the United States and its citizens. But those with blinders refuse to recognize that.

I'm a liberal and voted against prop 187 because it was just a stupid, wrongheaded piece of legislation, but people need to be realistic and come to terms with what illegals are doing to the U.S. We need to bring our troops home from Iraq and then use them in large scale mass roundups of illegals.

Even hispanics whose families have been in the U.S. for a hundred years look down on the illegals. They call them "wabs." THAT should tell you something.

I agree. it is the lack of respect for America it's customs and people, that irrates me. I too have been to other countries and did my best to respect their way of life. I learned their language and didnt expect a thing.What I recieved in return was their respect. I dont think that is asking that much. But to come here, disrespect, trash, break laws then have the nerve to demand things is wrong, and people wonder why we are fed up.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
hey now!! Not all of us have red hair!!!!!!
Yeah, but why do you have to disrespect my country by working hard, having strong family ties, and contributing to the local economy?

Oops, sorry, got you durned Irish immigrants confused with those durned Mexican immigrants.

Why do you have to disrespect my country by... um. Turning the Chicago River green on St. Patrick's day!?! Maybe that kind of behaviour is acceptable in Ireland, but this is Amerika, and we don't appreciate shamrocks, leprechans, or Catholicism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration