U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 AM

6,297 posts, read 15,007,221 times
Well, bring back some cigars, will you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 42,355 times
Exclamation I don't blame you!!

I am moving to a community that has very few hispanics in it too because we are also being over-run by them here in Florida. I just loved the comment about hispanics in Miami?? LOL!! NO HISPANICS in Miami... mainly CUBAN there!! Bit of a difference.

Anyways I am going to say this to the one who wants to live away from the "Mexicans"... I don't blame you!! Hell we are in the good ole USA and our language is English here and not Spanish!! They need to learn to live American if they are going to be here. Do you realize that they get everything handed to them? They don't have to work for God's sake. They get all of their medical paid for where I live. That is just wrong.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM

312 posts, read 961,269 times
I hope you are not suggesting that all Hispanic people are somehow a problem. My wife is Hispanic. I would much rather live next to a respectable Hispanic individual (of which there are many) than a low life caucasian (of which there are many as well).

Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 AM

8,887 posts, read 20,357,904 times
Well I just came back from having lunch at a Cuban cafe that just opened here in Knoxville in Fountain City. And holy cow, it is GOOOOOOD. They bake their own Cuban bread, even with the palm fronds on top. The guava pastries were warm and buttery, and the flan was cool and creamy.

And while I understand some people's desire to be in an area that hasn't been "overrun" with Hispanics, I have to admit that I'm glad there's some diversity here in Knoxville. (And for the record, the cafe's menu was entirely in English.)

Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 53,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahluagal View Post
I'm glad that my post has made so many of you feel warm, fuzzy, and politically correct. But until you have lived in a town of 100,00 that has had one hospital close, and the other on the verge of bankruptcy. churches moving out, school scores in the dumper, and property values plummeting, please don't lecture me.
Sorry...cannot help you but you should not have to apologize for wanting to live in a non-diverse town anymore than anyone else should have to apologize for wanting to live in a "diverse" town...its a matter of what you prefer...and the reality is that most people want to live in towns where most people look like them and speak the same language.

Someone posted above that the beauty of this country is its diversity...I could not disagree more. The broad racial and ethnic diversity of this county is a very recent phenomenon (post 1965 Immigration Act)...and, from what I can tell...racially and ethnically homogenous towns, cities and states tend to be stronger in the things that I think make a place livable...safety, good schools, strong civic annd community involvement among the citizens. Other people can have their "diversity" but I prefer non-diversity and I don't apologize for it

Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM

27 posts, read 119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
I hope you are not suggesting that all Hispanic people are somehow a problem. My wife is Hispanic. I would much rather live next to a respectable Hispanic individual (of which there are many) than a low life caucasian (of which there are many as well).
I'd say its more of a... "i'd like to walk to the corner store and not feel foreign for speaking english".

Good or bad folks living next door, its nice to at least be able to speak to em

Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM

400 posts, read 929,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahluagal View Post
We moved to Kingsport from a town in Illinois that was 65% Hispanic...I could no longer read the signs in the stores. Now we may be moving to Nashville and am looking for areas that English is the primary language and that there isn't a taco stand on every corner. I know that this is not the Politically Correct stance but I've been there, done that, and have had enough. Could someone recommend communites within a 45 minute druive of Nashville that would my totally non-PC need?

I can't believe how some people could call your post "racist" Where is the racism. I absolutely understand your position because I LIVE IN FREAKIN' MIAMI!! And the same way Miami was lost, because American people down here was living in LALALAND dreaming in the so called "diversity", several towns and cities accross the nation will be affected by the same issue.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM

38 posts, read 80,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
I can't believe how some people could call your post "racist" Where is the racism. I absolutely understand your position because I LIVE IN FREAKIN' MIAMI!! And the same way Miami was lost, because American people down here was living in LALALAND dreaming in the so called "diversity", several towns and cities accross the nation will be affected by the same issue.
We are from Miami, Florida and are cubans. I do believe that english is the language of this country and we should respect that, but it is very difficult not to speak your native language, we do at home, but if we are around anglos, we respect that and try to use english at all times.
We are moving to Spring Hill, Tn at the end of May and are looking forward to it.
It is not the cubans in Miami that are making us move, it is the high cost of living and the diversity of cultures that most of the times are not the same as our. We have been in this country since 1966 (41 yrs) amd I can tell you, Miami is not the same it was 41 years ago, even 20 years ago.
We are both retired and want to leave a quiet life and get along with our neighbors wether they speak english or spanish or maybe another language unknown to us. We can always use sign language.
We are moving to Spring Hill to be close to our daughter born and raised in USA, married to an anglo and are two grandsons. The live in the Leipers Fork area.
We are sincerely looking forward to that southern hospitality we have heard so much of and are sure we are going to find it there.
God Bless all

Old 04-04-2007, 12:19 PM

14 posts, read 153,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irontank View Post
Sorry...cannot help you but you should not have to apologize for wanting to live in a non-diverse town anymore than anyone else should have to apologize for wanting to live in a "diverse" town...its a matter of what you prefer...and the reality is that most people want to live in towns where most people look like them and speak the same language.

Someone posted above that the beauty of this country is its diversity...I could not disagree more. The broad racial and ethnic diversity of this county is a very recent phenomenon (post 1965 Immigration Act)...and, from what I can tell...racially and ethnically homogenous towns, cities and states tend to be stronger in the things that I think make a place livable...safety, good schools, strong civic annd community involvement among the citizens. Other people can have their "diversity" but I prefer non-diversity and I don't apologize for it
I agree - no one should have to apologize for their preference in diversity. But I definitely disagree with the thought that most people want to stick with their own and that homogeneous towns are stronger than diverse areas. What about the lower class? True most lower class people live together, but I'm not sure its because they want to. They are far from having strong communities and I'd bet if you gave them the keys to a nice house on the hills, they'd probably move right in. Perhaps, coming from NYC where diversity is the norm, I have witnessed all forms of ethnic groups... and truthfully speaking... most intertwine and live with other groups. The fascinating thing about diversity is that you can learn and experience new things from each other. In my opinion the good thing about this country is its diversity. The bad thing (in my opinion) is that many people do not want to accept diversity. They would be happier living side by side with their own of whom they can relate and find acceptance with. So in my opinion the language barrier is a lame excuse, because when one prefers non-diversity the language barrier really doesn't matter - it's just another added reason to say "you're not welcome". African Americans and Anglos speak the same language and in many cases there is still no acceptance. Pretty sad - but hey... it's all a matter of preference right!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:41 PM

943 posts, read 10,404 times
Kaluagal, I will help you out on this one, cause I can understand where you are coming from. Actually the disrespect is not Kalagal to the hispanic population, it is actually the other way around. Until you know what it is like to have the town you have grown up in change completely to spanish signs and language, have neighbors that most likely are illegal, otherwise why year after year do they not make some attempt at human contact and conversation then it is called reverse discrimination. When we search these posts for information about other places across the country, we have a responsbility to ourselves to find out as much as we can about the new areas, so as to lessen the chance of making a complete mistake. I want to live where people are going to be friendly, whether they are hispanic or whatever. I know all to well what it is like to live in a town where now 70 percent is from mexico, and most appear to be illegal, it is not a friendly atmosphere at all. So if anyone knows towns in Tenn that are not overwhelmed with immigration issues, then I see no problem in helping Kaluagal with an area. I think for those of us that live on the west coast, texas, florida, and Illinois, to name a few, have really been hit hard with this issue, and would just like to live in a more peaceful area, for however long a new area will remain peaceful as this topic spreads from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration