Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,637,477 times

Advertisements

NYC mayor, major CEOs lobby for immigration reform - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_bi_ge/us_nyc_mayor_immigration_group - broken link)

And the news isn't good with this. They want immigration reform so we don't lose all those illegal workers.

WTH?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
NYC mayor, major CEOs lobby for immigration reform - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_bi_ge/us_nyc_mayor_immigration_group - broken link)

And the news isn't good with this. They want immigration reform so we don't lose all those illegal workers.

WTH?????
It it were not for the illegals, the landlords in my neck of the woods would not be making all of the repairs, rennovations and building construction that they have been. They would not pay the American worker's price, but are getting these things done for pennies on the dollar. The constant construction noise and mess in my neighborhood makes it look and sound like a war zone and I do not know what happened to zoning laws because they are virtually non existent here. The landlords and homeowners are taking full advantage of the cheap labor offered by the illegal immigrants. We have leaf blowers up the whazoo and that is to blow the total of five leaves per day that accumulate in the entire borough. It is insane and I'm sure much of this work is being done without proper permits and licensing. It sucks!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,455,009 times
Quote:

WTH?????
This is only to be expected. Sadly. This is what I mean when I say politicans don't have the stomach to enact strict enforcement of immigration laws. You have the Democrats on one side pandering for the Hispanic votes; you have the Republicans on the other side pandering to corporate America and the fear of losing cheap labor.

In the middle, you have us - in the no-win position - wanting tough reform and to take our country back.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM

364 posts, read 495,283 times
For those to whom polls matter, a majority also supports a pathway to citizenship.

Just one link for example Most Americans support Arizona immigration law - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100617/ts_ynews/ynews_ts2661 - broken link)

Quote:
Still, the support is qualified in some respects. Even as a majority of Americans back the measure — which gives law enforcement officers authority to check the immigration status of people they have stopped or arrested — 57 percent of Americans also favor giving illegal immigrants who are already in the country a chance to become legal, if they pay fines and meet other requirements. Almost half of Republicans polled also support the path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM

40 posts, read 42,410 times
Great, now we can add millions of more immigrants to the work force. Its not like we already have millions of citizens who are unemployed/underemployed.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,637,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
Great, now we can add millions of more immigrants to the work force. Its not like we already have millions of citizens who are unemployed/underemployed.
Not only that, and that one is a biggie, we will continue with the healthcare issues since I'm sure the new immigrants will be faced with the same issues many citizens are already facing-affordable insurance or any health benefits at all. So the taxpayer will continue to subsidize healthcare for those that don't have it or can't afford. Especially with the unemployment rate so high.

At this rate this country will never recover.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,648,789 times
We really need to add a new immigrant policy: Be educated and have set skills, like Canada. No more uneducated menial jobs, that's best left for disadvantaged Americas. We have plenty of that whom are 100% legal in every instance.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,756,832 times
Bloomberg is a moron,he actually said he wants MORE illegals in NYC and would..
Love to pay for their healthcare.NYC isnt lacking in immigrants right?
I guess NYC has a huge surplus of money for healthcare too.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,455,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Bloomberg is a moron,he actually said he wants MORE illegals in NYC and would..
Love to pay for their healthcare.NYC isnt lacking in immigrants right?
I guess NYC has a huge surplus of money for healthcare too.
Oh, yeah - didn't you hear our streets are paved with Gold?
Bloomberg, a rich man, panders to the wealthy. To stay that way, they need cheap workers. Citizens need not apply.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,504,172 times
Quote:

WTH?????

exactly the motivation, keep the cheap labor, let us peons pay the other costs. Bloomberg and his merry group of ill informed CEO's can sit on it and rotate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration