U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,016,290 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether to see the outrage or the poetic justice of having illegal immigrants camping out in the Hamptons next to multi-million dollar mansions, but I'll bet most of the wealthy libs that live out there are beside themselves... lol!

HOMELESS IN HAMPTONS - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM

2,088 posts, read 2,249,870 times
Lets ask the illegals to camp in front of the houses of nancy pelosi and harry reid

Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM

15,179 posts, read 16,243,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Lets ask the illegals to camp in front of the houses of nancy pelosi and harry reid
That’s a great idea. Also, it would be nice if they decided to make the area across the street from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave their outdoor residence.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,934,429 times
About 2 years ago, I read a very interesting article about a guy who was considered the 'pioneer' Mexican illegal in The Hamptons. He'd been coming there for YEARS; went home to Michoacan each winter, where he'd built a big house with his earnings.

The man had developed a sense of how to 'behave' in the unusual, very affluent society of The Hamptons; he was well accepted, quite popular, and always had plenty of work. Friends joined him, and they all lived discreetly among the affluent 'Hamptonites', returning to Mexico each winter. Everyone had plenty of work, and the locals were glad to pay for their labor, mosty at jobs local Americans would not do.

Now the guy was concerned. A new "wave" of illegals threatened to destroy the whole 'system'. They had NO regard for 'local etiquette', had NO understanding of how one 'should' or should not behave' in this very 'snooty' area....and proceeded to just 'set up shop' and 'outrage' the locals by BASICALLY just committing every stereotypical 'act' that illegals were THOUGHT to commit....(PLUS they didn't go 'home' any more in the 'off-season'). They'd succeded in turning the local Hamptonites against them, and by extension, against ALL illegals, (including our 'hero' in the article).

The summation of the story sounded something like MY experience....that basically, illegal immigration had gone from a victimless crime, well-accepted by most everyone, with 'winners' on both sides....to an angry, contentious social problem tearing a community apart....and that a LOT of this was the fault of the illegals themselves. The guy in the story said, just as I have many times, that "the new guys today just don't ACT like we did back then; the illegals today are a 'different breed'....and they just don't have a 'clue' how to get along here, and they don't WANT to know"....or words to that effect..Which is, after all, pretty much the point I bring up so often.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM

2,088 posts, read 2,249,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
About 2 years ago, I read a very interesting article about a guy who was considered the 'pioneer' Mexican illegal in The Hamptons. He'd been coming there for YEARS; went home to Michoacan each winter, where he'd built a big house with his earnings.

The man had developed a sense of how to 'behave' in the unusual, very affluent society of The Hamptons; he was well accepted, quite popular, and always had plenty of work. Friends joined him, and they all lived discreetly among the affluent 'Hamptonites', returning to Mexico each winter. Everyone had plenty of work, and the locals were glad to pay for their labor, mosty at jobs local Americans would not do.

Now the guy was concerned. A new "wave" of illegals threatened to destroy the whole 'system'. They had NO regard for 'local etiquette', had NO understanding of how one 'should' or should not behave' in this very 'snooty' area....and proceeded to just 'set up shop' and 'outrage' the locals by BASICALLY just committing every stereotypical 'act' that illegals were THOUGHT to commit....(PLUS they didn't go 'home' any more in the 'off-season'). They'd succeded in turning the local Hamptonites against them, and by extension, against ALL illegals, (including our 'hero' in the article).

The summation of the story sounded something like MY experience....that basically, illegal immigration had gone from a victimless crime, well-accepted by most everyone, with 'winners' on both sides....to an angry, contentious social problem tearing a community apart....and that a LOT of this was the fault of the illegals themselves. The guy in the story said, just as I have many times, that "the new guys today just don't ACT like we did back then; the illegals today are a 'different breed'....and they just don't have a 'clue' how to get along here, and they don't WANT to know"....or words to that effect..Which is, after all, pretty much the point I bring up so often.
macmeal

That sounds like an interesting article. If you can find a link to it, please post it here.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
macmeal

That sounds like an interesting article. If you can find a link to it, please post it here.
It was read in the waiting room of the dentist during a LONG wait....I doubt I'll ever remember the magazine....could have been one of several. Sorry.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,618,647 times
Quote:
The houses of Ted Kennedy and Luis Gutierrez seem like good places for them to go as well.

And if they don't provide those illegals with free handouts, or as much as the they want, the illegals can always claim racism considering how well it has worked.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,937,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It was read in the waiting room of the dentist during a LONG wait....I doubt I'll ever remember the magazine....could have been one of several. Sorry.
I read that article too Mac, I'll try to find it. From what I remember the guy became a millionaire being a gardener in the East Hamptons and he was very well respected.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-21-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I read that article too Mac, I'll try to find it. From what I remember the guy became a millionaire being a gardener in the East Hamptons and he was very well respected.
YES....and I think it showed a photo of him on his balcony in Mexico....hope you can find it...

Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM

13,388 posts, read 21,946,715 times
Well, well, well - I hope we see more and more of this in the future. Nothing more refreshing than seeing the Nimbys get their comeuppance. Finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or