Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,906,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Yeah but we'd just end up with MORE crime because of it.
Better than deportation, but still not entirely practical.

~T
Try going to Canada and getting a Job , ( with out a work visa ), see how well that works..for a US Citizen ! Whats good for one , should be good for all. If we are going to have a North American Union , as Bush wants, ( without voting on it ),then the job issue would be just one of the problems to overcome............One of the reasons the PLAN is not being discussed in public forum. One day ,......it will just be rule, the law , and somewhere in the middle of the forest , a lone voice will be heard , talking to the trees,...." WHAT HAVE WE DONE, WHERE HAVE OUR FREEDOMS GONE,?"..........but it will be too late....................

Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,644,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Well there ya go.

Let's get this thread to the Bush administration so they can bury it in with the rest of the proposals that will help this country, but not put any money in a politician's pocket, lol.

Seriously though. Maybe that's the answer? No automatic citizenship, but we could hand out work visas? (Sort of like the "guest-worker" program).

The catch is, they have 180 days to find a job on the books or we can deport them. Once they've paid $25000 in federal taxes(excluding tax credits), we'll give them the opportunity to become citizens. If they haven't met the tax requirement in say 5-7 years, they get the boot too.

Anybody biting at this one? It sounds a hell of a lot better than trying to put'em all on a Greyhound bound for Tijuana.

~T

yea I could go for that, but you need to add no free services, gotta pay for healthcare (like I do) and learn at least basic english and use it!!! now what do we do withthe ones that dont want to be citizens, just mooch off us? how do we go about getting them out and keeping them out. I am telling ya, those illegals have NO idea how much it can cost to be legal!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
yea I could go for that, but you need to add no free services, gotta pay for healthcare (like I do) and learn at least basic english and use it!!! now what do we do withthe ones that dont want to be citizens, just mooch off us? how do we go about getting them out and keeping them out.
Free services.....

I can go for basic healthcare, for the ones with work visas, if qualified. Possibly a "Guest Worker Healthcare Plan". They certainly couldn't afford to pay the $600 a month I pay for insurance, but they should pay something.

The ones that don't want to be citizens? Well, that's where we can deport without catching any heat. It would have to be done delicately of course, but I don't see a whole lot of people having a huge problem with people who've been given an opportunity, and refused it.

English, weeeeeeeeeelllll, that one I'd go liberal on. I can't seem to pick up a second language, I don't expect anyone else to within a certain time frame. However, in New York if you want a driver's license you need to take a "5 hour course". Maybe we can make that part of the citizenship requirement? Free "English as a second language" classes given by volunteers. It's time for the churches to put up or shut up. They could EASILY pull that off, and rope in more members in the process. We would just need to give them the ability to offer some form of accreditation. Same goes for other non-denominational, non-profit orgs. Maybe offer college credits in exchange for volunteering? Plenty of people in college that want to be teachers.

This is all it takes really. We could assimilate these people and start pulling tax dollars from them rather quickly. All it requires is DC make a decision and ACT on it.

~TT

Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Being legal is just too expensive........even for us middle class folks these days. If the Gov. found a way to shut down the underground economy .....there would be riots in the streets !!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,429,676 times
North American Union? Oh no, he is def far too gone now, even worse than I ever suspected! Darstar, is this what I think it is here? Not good, guess he knew most of us would think of Canada and now they want to control them too, or am I off base here? Would you mind elborating on here or in email, if you can? Thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 134,986 times
I just want to say that I read this post because I was curious about the "illegal immigrant discussions are part of another thread" thing that pops up when you go to the California forum. I have read through all of the posts and feel like if I went back decades ago after slavery was abolished, there would be similar posts that would be searching for ways to send Blacks back to Africa. Can we Americans, whilst we sit and reap the rewards of slaves that were kidnapped from their native land and forced to work for free (not to mention endure a number of other atrocities by our "hard working, legal immigrant forefathers) in order to build the majority of wealth in the US...can we really be this hypocritical? Slavery went on for hundreds of years, millions of men, women and children slaving for 16 hour days in cotton, tobacco and other fields to establish the frameworks of our society. It took years for people to be outraged enough about the majority of this country living off the fruits of slaves labor to actually abolish it. I realize this is a long gone era (or is it?), but I have to agree with Yap City, the tone of superiority in most of these threads is completely laughable given the history of this country.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:50 PM

I just wonder why we haven't heard bout this, but I do see it on many legit forums...something to check out for sure, nite

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I just wonder why we haven't heard bout this, but I do see it on many legit forums...something to check out for sure, nite
Yes , the North American Union thing is alive.....and growing. There is some talk about it in Congress, but , little is being done ,....that we know of anyway.
Lou Dobbs talks about it quite often, thats about it, as far as the News folks go. High level talks ,from all three countries, are going on as we speak. It will happen, and .....without a vote from the public in any country. The feeling is , that it would be a very hard sell , if the voting populist had to debate , discuss , and vote on such a major change in our way of life, and the way our founding fathers intended ,for our sovereignty. . All the other issues we face today , in the News , and on all the threads , and posts , is small potatoes, compared to this vast PLAN , now in the works.
Look it up , and get informed , you will finally understand just why the immigrant problem is where it is now , and why nothing is being done.
The first step , and this has been in the works for several years, at least the planing, is Transportation. The super highway from Laredo to the Canadian border has been in the news from time to time. Look to hear more about it. The basic funding path has already been approved , it will be built !

Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks Darstar, I must admit I could do more research on things, and I have done alot since I was rather young and I never thought i live to see what I had heard would happen, actually happen, but this is wow, really sudden. I bet no one even really cares or makes much fuss about it and if you do, ummm not good for you and your family either I bet.I wonder what some Eurpoeans think of this, I like to listen to BBC and Public radio often, I hear news I never hear on tv...as I do not care bout who is dating who or who did what, to me that is a distraction for sheepeople.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,801,210 times
Gilligan's island didn't have illegals, as I recall. On the other hand, that was some time ago and these illegals do get around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.