Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, since most in those areas pay little to no taxes I'm not quite ready to shell out yet more tax money to pay for the schools that kids go to who's parents pay little to no taxes. If they want it then they can pay at least something!
And I'm damn sure I'm not ready to shell out more tax money for the kids of Illegal Aliens!!

I know many people who have done well coming out of the poorer areas. In each case their Parents actually gave a rat about them studying at home rather than relying on the education mills. If the schools are raising your kids they are going to fail.
My dad taught in San Bernardino City Unified. The district is so poor, that is makes Compton City Unified look like Beverly Hills. It was so poor, that our desks were made in the 1950s. The IB/AP students recieved a grant from the district. This is how the school became one of the top high schools in the region.

With that said, if there was no grant, then the program that produces at LEAST 1 Ivy league graduate a year and over 100-200 students going towards their 4 year degree (highest in the district) would not exsist.

So what's wrong with providing support so people can support themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
So there is no murder of children in the US? No misogny? No rape? No violence? No gangs? Sure, there is a lot of machismo in Latin culture but there is some in the US as well.
Sounds like latinos should not come here then. No point in exposing themselves to murder, rape, violence and gangs.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Sounds like latinos should not come here then. No point in exposing themselves to murder, rape, violence and gangs.
I think the point of the above post was that the 3rd world is not as barbaric, for lack of a better term, as many on here seem to thing. We also do "bad" things. Thus, it's unfair to make a distinction between "1st world" and "3rd world" values. It makes people from the 3rd world feel as if they are somewhere completely inferior to a person from the 1st world. Where in reality, the only difference is wealth and power.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
i still see no stats and no book by such name by said author. do you know what you are referencing even?

the burden of proof falls on you, otherwise i call bull on your previous statement.

and; yes prejudice was pretty bad for japanese folk. for filipinos even. anyone that did the s#it work in CA got treated like s#it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
According to the sociologist Thomas Sowell...........his book 'Race and Ethnicity' has lots of interesting tidbits.

And; prejudice was at least as bad against Americans of Japanese lineage vs. brown US born Latinos prior to WW II in California.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:47 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
My dad taught in San Bernardino City Unified. The district is so poor, that is makes Compton City Unified look like Beverly Hills. It was so poor, that our desks were made in the 1950s. The IB/AP students recieved a grant from the district. This is how the school became one of the top high schools in the region.

With that said, if there was no grant, then the program that produces at LEAST 1 Ivy league graduate a year and over 100-200 students going towards their 4 year degree (highest in the district) would not exsist.

So what's wrong with providing support so people can support themselves?
We keep importing poor, that's the problem. I want to support Americans, not anchor kids from peasants that snuck in. 1 or 2 out of 10 students isn't even supposed to be here. Just think how far that extra money would go if it wasn't being spent on anchors and Illegals in k-12.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We keep importing poor, that's the problem. I want to support Americans, not anchor kids from peasants that snuck in. 1 or 2 out of 10 students isn't even supposed to be here. Just think how far that extra money would go if it wasn't being spent on anchors and Illegals in k-12.
The reality of the situation is that they are here.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:18 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The reality of the situation is that they are here.
The other reality is that it is possible to make conditions so harsh they self-deport. State by State has had enough and are going at it their own way. You can't blame the States either.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again, if anyone TRULY believes 'diversity', in and of itself, is a source of 'strength'....(as opposed to 'lack of diversity', which is a source of weakness), I'd certainly like to hear about it.
I would say a fair amount of cultural diversity is a plus. Keep in mind that many famous Americans weren't born in the US. From entertainment to politics to science to business, I would say immigrants have had a major impact on US culture.

Also, many American cultural attributes originated in mainland Europe. You may say something along the lines of "Well, that was European culture", but there was a time when being Irish, Italian, German, Polish, or Jewish was just as alien as being Mexican.

I would say that political diversity also helps. In countries (and states) that are dominated by one political party there is a lot corruption and incompetence. Mexico, parts of the South, and other countries are examples of this, although to different extents.

Not that diversity is all roses, previous immigrant groups did have their problems with gangs, organized crime, hostility towards mainstream culture, and so on. Just saying that there are plenty of upsides as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:13 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I would say a fair amount of cultural diversity is a plus. Keep in mind that many famous Americans weren't born in the US. From entertainment to politics to science to business, I would say immigrants have had a major impact on US culture.

Also, many American cultural attributes originated in mainland Europe. You may say something along the lines of "Well, that was European culture", but there was a time when being Irish, Italian, German, Polish, or Jewish was just as alien as being Mexican.

I would say that political diversity also helps. In countries (and states) that are dominated by one political party there is a lot corruption and incompetence. Mexico, parts of the South, and other countries are examples of this, although to different extents.

Not that diversity is all roses, previous immigrant groups did have their problems with gangs, organized crime, hostility towards mainstream culture, and so on. Just saying that there are plenty of upsides as well.
There's absolutely no question that SOME diversity in MOST aspects of life is good, makes life more interesting, and is a 'plus', as you say. We don't all vote like our neighbor does, and MOST of us don't marry our siblings. There is a air amont of diversity in my own life.

My only quibble is with the rather childish notion that we need to put time, money, and resourcs into 'becoming more diverse'. Large corporations have 'diversity committees' and set 'diversity goals'...etc etc.

My point is that a certain degree of diversity is inevitable, and expected. Diversity may be HIGH in some areas of life (demographics, art, cuisine, music, politics, religious creeds), and rather LOW in other areas (for instance, there's not a whole lot of 'diversity' in the laws of science, or the rules of math, or in the need to obey the rules of society, or of one's own particular religion). But in any case, we're 'diverse' in many areas of our life, while not so diverse in others, and the mindless pursuit of 'diversity' has always just sounded a little silly to me. Not "bad", just silly. Just like the recent campaign promise, advocating "Change". Is change GOOD? Well, of course, some of the time. Other times, change is NOT so good. Its a silly, meaningless term in itself. Yet silly as it is, you never hear of a corporation forming a "change committee". Many, though, sponsor "diversity studies", and to my mind, it just sounds silly...not 'bad'.

Diversity works rather well in Switzerland, or Belgium, or Canada....yet diversity has a rather negative history in Yugoslavia, Iraq, Sri Lanka, or South Africa. Each is an example of 'diversity' in action..some good, some bad.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There's absolutely no question that SOME diversity in MOST aspects of life is good, makes life more interesting, and is a 'plus', as you say. We don't all vote like our neighbor does, and MOST of us don't marry our siblings. There is a air amont of diversity in my own life.

My only quibble is with the rather childish notion that we need to put time, money, and resourcs into 'becoming more diverse'. Large corporations have 'diversity committees' and set 'diversity goals'...etc etc.

My point is that a certain degree of diversity is inevitable, and expected. Diversity may be HIGH in some areas of life (demographics, art, cuisine, music, politics, religious creeds), and rather LOW in other areas (for instance, there's not a whole lot of 'diversity' in the laws of science, or the rules of math, or in the need to obey the rules of society, or of one's own particular religion). But in any case, we're 'diverse' in many areas of our life, while not so diverse in others, and the mindless pursuit of 'diversity' has always just sounded a little silly to me. Not "bad", just silly. Just like the recent campaign promise, advocating "Change". Is change GOOD? Well, of course, some of the time. Other times, change is NOT so good. Its a silly, meaningless term in itself. Yet silly as it is, you never hear of a corporation forming a "change committee". Many, though, sponsor "diversity studies", and to my mind, it just sounds silly...not 'bad'.

Diversity works rather well in Switzerland, or Belgium, or Canada....yet diversity has a rather negative history in Yugoslavia, Iraq, Sri Lanka, or South Africa. Each is an example of 'diversity' in action..some good, some bad.
Two quick things..

There is a LOT of diversity in the laws of science. OMG!!! YEAH!!! Papers are published in order to bash the other scientists. Arguments and battle lines are drawn. Professors tell their students that another professor is dumb because clearly brain plasticity only acts in certain manners and does not apply to xyz. Once established, there is even contention since there are notable exceptions to the rule. Markonikov carbons, for example were debated since many carbons were anti-markonikov. Thus, this "law" has many exeptions attached to it. Okay, a little outdated (to chemistry junkies out there), but still reflects that science is not as clean as the public thinks.

Also, in Switzerland, Belgium, and Canada...there was a lot of fighting. French vs. Germans (Swiss), Waloons vs. Flemish (Belgium) and French vs. Anglos (Canada). Once they became richer nations with more resources and more at stake everything was fine.

South Africa and Yugoslavia were founded under the notion of their being a heirarchy. The main point is if you create economic and political inequality, typically this leads to friction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration