U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
What you are describing is not "closing the border". The medical screening is a good idea, but you also have to realize that 800,000 people cross the border every day.
Still, I fail to see how National Guardsmen will stop the swine flu from coming in from Mexico, especially when it's already here.
If we already have 'some' swine flu from Mexico and it is causing problems for us, it is not at all clear to me why we should want 'more'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
 
95 posts, read 111,938 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If we already have 'some' swine flu from Mexico and it is causing problems for us, it is not at all clear to me why we should want 'more'.

Sending troops to the border is not going to do anything to stop the flu from coming in. Even if you have the border completely sealed, I bet you an illegal will still make it through.
Like MiamiRob said, we would need to stop all commercial flights coming in also.



And no, we don't want 'more': that's why it's in our best interest that Mexico contain the virus.

Besides it's up to the CDC to decide when and if the border needs to be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,371 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
Some American tourists back from Mexico brought the swine flu to the U.S., as was the case in New York:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/ny...l?ref=nyregion

"Esti Lamonaca and her friends spent five months planning a trip to Mexico to celebrate their senior year of high school. They chose the Oasis Cancun, better known for college partying than high school vacations (“The center of spring break action,” raves one student travel Web site). Ms. Lamonaca persuaded her parents to let her go if she paid her own way — so she worked every day after school to save up about $1,200.
Ms. Lamonaca said the trip was “awesome.”
But now, less than a week after flying home, Ms. Lamonaca is discombobulated to find herself and her friends under a national — if not global — spotlight, as health officials scramble to figure out whether the teenagers were the unwitting vector that brought swine flu to New York City."

What does closing the border mean in this context?

American tourists that are in Mexico stay there?

Americans that have to do business in Mexico can't move freely between the countries?

Commerce between two trade partners (U.S. and Mexico) stops?

Is this a smart move in a recession?

Closing the border would just create more panic and more hatred between two countries that actually need to work together to solve a medical emergency.

Your suggestions are theoretical at best. The truth of the matter is that the borders should be closed while this flu can still be contained. Americans who are there can be brought back and treated, but to say that we should "work together" would be a disaster. You are talking about people who want to come here and set up shop at any cost and they don't respect our laws now, do you really think they will cooperate to assure the safety of the American people? No, they're not interested in us, they are selfish..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
 
95 posts, read 111,938 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
Your suggestions are theoretical at best. The truth of the matter is that the borders should be closed while this flu can still be contained. Americans who are there can be brought back and treated, but to say that we should "work together" would be a disaster. You are talking about people who want to come here and set up shop at any cost and they don't respect our laws now, do you really think they will cooperate to assure the safety of the American people? No, they're not interested in us, they are selfish..
Those are not suggestions, those are hypothetical questions.

Regardless of what you personally think of the whole population of Mexico, not working together would be a "disaster".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: AL
2,477 posts, read 2,202,357 times
Reputation: 1007
Close the fking border already...1 st we have money sucking illegals now is the god damn Swine Flu..wtf are we waiting for already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 AM
 
Location: A little suburb of Houston
3,702 posts, read 15,928,921 times
Reputation: 2047
News this morning reported that planes going to Mexico are practically empty (5 passengers on one) but are coming back fully loaded. See a problem here?

Cinco de Mayo is coming up, can you imagine the gatherings as potential to spread the virus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
Reputation: 2244
well at least someone gets it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is no indication that those crossing the border illegally have brought the swine flu into the US. Most of the US cases are now being linked to "Sprink Breakers" who went to Mexico and returned (as in New York).

The border will not, and basically, cannot be "closed". It can be closely monitored however.

Big difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Secure the border as best we can. No travel to Mexico unless it is Mexican Nationals seeking to return. Those US citizens that foolishly went to Mexico may return. Quarantine them to verify they are not sick.
We have inspite of what the press would claim a standing army here in the USA. Put them to work on the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
Sending troops to the border is not going to do anything to stop the flu from coming in. Even if you have the border completely sealed, I bet you an illegal will still make it through.
Like MiamiRob said, we would need to stop all commercial flights coming in also.



And no, we don't want 'more': that's why it's in our best interest that Mexico contain the virus.

Besides it's up to the CDC to decide when and if the border needs to be closed.
They don't seem to be doing a very good job of it, now do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is no indication that those crossing the border illegally have brought the swine flu into the US. Most of the US cases are now being linked to "Sprink Breakers" who went to Mexico and returned (as in New York).

The border will not, and basically, cannot be "closed". It can be closely monitored however.

Big difference
Our border is not being closely monitored.

Why not restrict non-essential travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top