U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM

59,835 posts, read 30,469,655 times

Advertisements

With the new direction of the nation and the States turning Conservative, we may see something done in those States that have Sanctuary Cities.
Texas sure is talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,431,501 times
I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico which is a sanctuary city. Santa Fe also has a ridiculously high minimum wage... $10+ per hour. New Mexico also gives driver licenses to illegal immigrants. So what has the result been? This place has seen a huge jump in illegals (which is a burden to our one hospital and schools) and it's hard for the average high school kid or part-time worker to find a job.

I used to be indifferent on illegal immigration, but after living here for six years I have seen first hand the huge problems it creates. Maybe there are some good effects from it too, but I can't think of any.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,612,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico which is a sanctuary city. Santa Fe also has a ridiculously high minimum wage... $10+ per hour. New Mexico also gives driver licenses to illegal immigrants. So what has the result been? This place has seen a huge jump in illegals (which is a burden to our one hospital and schools) and it's hard for the average high school kid or part-time worker to find a job.

I used to be indifferent on illegal immigration, but after living here for six years I have seen first hand the huge problems it creates. Maybe there are some good effects from it too, but I can't think of any.
I can't think of any except it benefits those looking for dirt cheap labor. They are exempt from paying legal wages, and don't have to abide by wage and labor laws, no minimum wages, no vacations - they don't have to provide breaks or lunch time since they are outside the law to begin with. No workman's comp, and if they deduct taxes from paychecks, who would ever be the wiser if they simply pocket them.

It obviously hasn't benefitted Mexico which has become seriously unstable, especially the areas that people have left in large numbers.

And it doesn't benefit the children left behind by illegals who often must fend for themselves at young ages because the parents are 3000 miles away.

And then what becomes of many illegals when they're too old to work, cannot compete any longer for those cheap paying jobs? Many end up with no family, no country, no pension.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:01 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,878,384 times
Oregon is a sanctuary state. Unemployment one of the highest in the nation, at about 11%. And they keep coming.... So one wonders just what really is the agenda of the progressives who live here? Also a medical marijuana state, connection?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,116,973 times
When I lived in San Francisco being a Sanctuary had little or nothing to with Mexicans. Chinese or Russians were the main groups of illegals. I recall a Chinese cargo ship landing at the Presidios Coast Guard Pier and disgorging a thousand illegal chinese. If they got off the Presidio they were home free.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,625,179 times
I think most blue states in the midwest have become "sanctuary states".
I refuse to contract with anyone who uses illegals.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I think most blue states in the midwest have become "sanctuary states".
I refuse to contract with anyone who uses illegals.

Absolutely, arresting the employers is the key. A raid on any meat processing or poultry plant will show you why.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,154,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Absolutely, arresting the employers is the key. A raid on any meat processing or poultry plant will show you why.
You're absolutely correct. These "Employers" that can't hire LEGAL workers are wealthy enough for luxury homes and cars. By arresting and prosecuting these criminal employers you are cutting the head off the Snake.

When Illegal Immigration is combatted by dealing with the criminal employers and only then we will start to see the end of this problem.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
You're absolutely correct. These "Employers" that can't hire LEGAL workers are wealthy enough for luxury homes and cars. By arresting and prosecuting these criminal employers you are cutting the head off the Snake.

When Illegal Immigration is combatted by dealing with the criminal employers and only then we will start to see the end of this problem.
The Judge who issued the injunction against SB 1070 left the parts about criminalizing employing illegals intact, despite this not one employer has been arrested. Apparently SB 1070 wasn't really about immigration reform

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,131,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Judge who issued the injunction against SB 1070 left the parts about criminalizing employing illegals intact, despite this not one employer has been arrested. Apparently SB 1070 wasn't really about immigration reform
SB1070 was never about immigration reform. It was about immigration enforcement. It is difficult to prove that an employer "knowlingly" hired illegal aliens because e-verify is not mandated in most workplaces and the illegals have such good fake documents. The illegals are just as guilty as the employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration