U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Cherokee Nation
28,741 posts, read 11,264,355 times
Reputation: 6386

Advertisements

Why are Sanctuary Cities allowed to even exist??

It is very hard to find Skilled Craftsmen in these Cities. All you can find, is some salesman, that drops off the illegals to do the shoddy labor.

You cannot communicate with anyone doing the work.

Is the price of "skilled labor" really what it was 20 years ago, or less now??
And we wonder why our working age youth, wants to ride moms couch all day. A hard days work, use to pay well, considering the cost of living.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,127 posts, read 2,052,445 times
Reputation: 869
I understand what you are saying. I don't know what city you're in, but here in Florida, if a homeowner or business contracts with a company and they don't have workers' compensation to cover all their employees, and one of those employees is hurt on the job, the home or business owner may be liable for the employee's damages. As a homeowner, or even a business, you have to get a workers' comp certificate and proof of liability insurance, and then contact the company to make sure they're legitimate.

We have a commercial painting company, but when we do work at an individual's home, we provide them with our workers' comp and liability insurance information which comes directly to the homeowner from our insurance carriers. We've had some homeowners ask that we not send any illegals to their home to perform services. We assure them all our employees are screened. This doesn't answer your question about why sanctuary cities exist, as I too am puzzled about that, but this may be helpful in providing information about the skilled workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why are Sanctuary Cities allowed to even exist??

It is very hard to find Skilled Craftsmen in these Cities. All you can find, is some salesman, that drops off the illegals to do the shoddy labor.

You cannot communicate with anyone doing the work.

Is the price of "skilled labor" really what it was 20 years ago, or less now??
And we wonder why our working age youth, wants to ride moms couch all day. A hard days work, use to pay well, considering the cost of living.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,702,216 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why are Sanctuary Cities allowed to even exist??

It is very hard to find Skilled Craftsmen in these Cities. All you can find, is some salesman, that drops off the illegals to do the shoddy labor.

You cannot communicate with anyone doing the work.

Is the price of "skilled labor" really what it was 20 years ago, or less now??
And we wonder why our working age youth, wants to ride moms couch all day. A hard days work, use to pay well, considering the cost of living.
Normally, I have PLENTY to say about folks who immgrate here illegally...(it was "OK" in moderate numbers 25 years ago, definitely NOT OK in massive numbers today)....and I think 'Sanctuary Cities' are a joke...(even though I belong to a 'sanctuary church').

But I can give you a little input about skilled craftsmen. A neighbor lady some time ago wanted her upstairs bathroom re-tiled. She carefully selected a LICENSED contractor, and they made a deal.

Monday morning, no one showed up; nor did anyone call. The lady missed THAT day of work. Tuesday, about noon, the "Tile Dude" arrived....a 25-ish white 'surfer' type. The "dude" proceeded to turn on his 'boom box' at ear-splitting level, and by 5 PM, the bathroom was demolished and ready to be tiled.

Wednesday, no one showed. Thursday, no one showed. Friday, the "Tile Dude" was back, the music resumed, and the sounds of hammering started anew. Arriving back home about 2 PM to 'silence', the lady discovered a half-done cement-board wall, several boxes of tile, and a note. The "tile dude" had gone, because THE SURF WAS UP (!!!)....he promised to try to 'catch her' tomorrow (Saturday).

No action Saturday OR Sunday.(when I began hearing about the story)..Get the idea, though? Eventually, the contractor showed up...was VERY apologetic (the 'dude' was his nephew...a 'good kid') and promised to make things right...which he did, at his next opportunity, a week later.

The whole job involved about 12-15 hours work and took about 3 weeks to complete.

Is this story a 'recommendation' that folks hire illegal immigrants? Certainly not...but it DOES show that the lines between them and the 'locals' can sometimes get blurred. And whether you have an employee on site whose language you don't share....or whether you have an employee whose language you DO share, but he's 15 miles away at the beach....you STILL aren't communicating....and the illegal is PROBABLY cheaper. I can sometimes understand the temptation...believe me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,065 posts, read 978,050 times
Reputation: 921
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Normally, I have PLENTY to say about folks who immgrate here illegally...(it was "OK" in moderate numbers 25 years ago, definitely NOT OK in massive numbers today)....and I think 'Sanctuary Cities' are a joke...(even though I belong to a 'sanctuary church').

But I can give you a little input about skilled craftsmen. A neighbor lady some time ago wanted her upstairs bathroom re-tiled. She carefully selected a LICENSED contractor, and they made a deal.

Monday morning, no one showed up; nor did anyone call. The lady missed THAT day of work. Tuesday, about noon, the "Tile Dude" arrived....a 25-ish white 'surfer' type. The "dude" proceeded to turn on his 'boom box' at ear-splitting level, and by 5 PM, the bathroom was demolished and ready to be tiled.

Wednesday, no one showed. Thursday, no one showed. Friday, the "Tile Dude" was back, the music resumed, and the sounds of hammering started anew. Arriving back home about 2 PM to 'silence', the lady discovered a half-done cement-board wall, several boxes of tile, and a note. The "tile dude" had gone, because THE SURF WAS UP (!!!)....he promised to try to 'catch her' tomorrow (Saturday).

No action Saturday OR Sunday.(when I began hearing about the story)..Get the idea, though? Eventually, the contractor showed up...was VERY apologetic (the 'dude' was his nephew...a 'good kid') and promised to make things right...which he did, at his next opportunity, a week later.

The whole job involved about 12-15 hours work and took about 3 weeks to complete.

Is this story a 'recommendation' that folks hire illegal immigrants? Certainly not...but it DOES show that the lines between them and the 'locals' can sometimes get blurred. And whether you have an employee on site whose language you don't share....or whether you have an employee whose language you DO share, but he's 15 miles away at the beach....you STILL aren't communicating....and the illegal is PROBABLY cheaper. I can sometimes understand the temptation...believe me.
Here , let me tell you a story. My cousin contracted a roofing company. to do his roof. The price was really good, but, the first time the rain came it leaked like hell, ruined the rug ,stained the walls, ect. He tried to get the roofing company to come back, but, no deal. Seems like they (and thier illegal labors) had packed up and gone back to Texas. Turns out (after the law suit) the 1st. roofing co. subcontracted the job to the illegals and then took chapter11 bankruptcy. The whole thing wound up costing about 17 grand because of his greed. Moral of the story? Bentbow got it right. Hire a bunch of drive away illegal's to do that job cheaper, but, don't scream much when the house falls down. Now, wanna hear one about the cheap driveway...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 7,137,405 times
Reputation: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
\
Here , let me tell you a story. My cousin contracted a roofing company. to do his roof. The price was really good, but, the first time the rain came it leaked like hell, ruined the rug ,stained the walls, ect. He tried to get the roofing company to come back, but, no deal. Seems like they (and thier illegal labors) had packed up and gone back to Texas. Turns out (after the law suit) the 1st. roofing co. subcontracted the job to the illegals and then took chapter11 bankruptcy. The whole thing wound up costing about 17 grand because of his greed. Moral of the story? Bentbow got it right. Hire a bunch of drive away illegal's to do that job cheaper, but, don't scream much when the house falls down. Now, wanna hear one about the cheap driveway...


You and that story? Priceless
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,414 posts, read 14,051,262 times
Reputation: 6184
And the suckiest part of it is the money left the Country via wire never to be seen here again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 AM
 
3,151 posts, read 5,185,206 times
Reputation: 975
The practices of "sanctuary cities" (a colloquial, not a legal term) differ from city to city. Why not discuss exactly which practices cities X, Y, and Z have and why they should be stopped or kept?

In particular I criticize the practices of Maywood, California - Blatantly *flaunting* federal laws (Read this Christian Science Monitor article Two towns, two stands on immigration reform | csmonitor.com ) and not towing cars of people who don't have driver's licenses = very bad. (You can see the thread here: City of Maywood - Immigration )
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,702,216 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

In particular I criticize the practices of Maywood, California - Blatantly *flaunting* federal laws (Read this Christian Science Monitor article Two towns, two stands on immigration reform | csmonitor.com ) and not towing cars of people who don't have driver's licenses = very bad. (You can see the thread here: City of Maywood - Immigration )
"Very bad", indeed. But realize that there are a substantial number of people today, many of them on this forum, who'd remind you, with a straight face, that:

(1) Federal immigration law is a 'bad' law, and it OUGHT to be ignored....

(2) The 'unlicensed' car owners in question are unlicensed because this unfair nation prevents them from GETTING licenses...

(3) If the Internatonal border hadn't been illegally MOVED 150 years ago, Maywood, California would not BE in California...it would be a (probably prosperous) part of Mexico today; and thus the only 'illegals' in Maywood would be the 'yanquis', and this entire forum would be 'moot'.

I happen to agree with you...but what do you tell THESE folks?.......(above)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,598,263 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Very bad", indeed. But realize that there are a substantial number of people today, many of them on this forum, who'd remind you, with a straight face, that:

(1) Federal immigration law is a 'bad' law, and it OUGHT to be ignored....

(2) The 'unlicensed' car owners in question are unlicensed because this unfair nation prevents them from GETTING licenses...

(3) If the Internatonal border hadn't been illegally MOVED 150 years ago, Maywood, California would not BE in California...it would be a (probably prosperous) part of Mexico today; and thus the only 'illegals' in Maywood would be the 'yanquis', and this entire forum would be 'moot'.

I happen to agree with you...but what do you tell THESE folks?.......(above)
If course: reminding Mexico that they stole land from Spain back in 1821 does not set well with Mexicans either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 783,618 times
Reputation: 297
Most cities that allow Illegals to loiter blatently in business parking lots looking for "work" without being approached by cops and told to move on are operating on some extent of sanctuary law. Many businesses have No loitering laws and would likely call the police on anyone standing outside and "hanging out", but it seems that when it comes to Illegal Day laborers that policy is ignored.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top