U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,404,661 times
Reputation: 3789

Advertisements

Quote:
The swine flu virus has infected the immigration debate, with talk show comments like "fajita flu" and "illegal aliens are the carriers" drawing vehement protests from Hispanic advocates.

The volatile immigration issue had cooled off on talk shows and in the blogosphere as the presidential election and economic crisis unfolded. Now, some are using the spread of the virus to renew arguments that immigration from Mexico is a threat to America.
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_he_me/us_swine_flu_immigration_debate - broken link)

Keep it up, illegals, just keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,375 posts, read 2,996,094 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_he_me/us_swine_flu_immigration_debate - broken link)

Keep it up, illegals, just keep it up.
Flu or not, the constant illegal immigration from Mexico is a threat to the United States. The people at least, not the corporation currently known as the United States of America. The government has shown they could care less. Illegals are good for business all around. They drive down wages, work under hazardous conditions that normal citizens would be protected from under labor laws, and generally allow themselves to be used as pawns in this sick game we are playing with our economy and the citizens of this country. If the flu could somehow get us in gear as far as a solution is concerned, I say let the propaganda fly. But come on, we already know it is never going to happen. And if things did get bad enough to make them do something, it would be far too late. As far as our government is concerned, these people already have immunity. Just not on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 10,106,589 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Flu or not, the constant illegal immigration from Mexico is a threat to the United States. The people at least, not the corporation currently known as the United States of America. The government has shown they could care less. Illegals are good for business all around. They drive down wages, work under hazardous conditions that normal citizens would be protected from under labor laws, and generally allow themselves to be used as pawns in this sick game we are playing with our economy and the citizens of this country. If the flu could somehow get us in gear as far as a solution is concerned, I say let the propaganda fly. But come on, we already know it is never going to happen. And if things did get bad enough to make them do something, it would be far too late. As far as our government is concerned, these people already have immunity. Just not on paper.
Agreed. The fact that they did not close the borders to prevent the traffic flowing from the source of the illness speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,375 posts, read 2,996,094 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. The fact that they did not close the borders to prevent the traffic flowing from the source of the illness speaks volumes.
Exactly. With all the media hype and supposed government concern over this "pandemic" the closing of our southern borders would have been the first action taken by any other civilized nation on this planet. It is not wrong in any way to close your borders to travelers when they are the potential source of an unknown virus which has no vaccine. It's just common sense. Which would explain why the people who control this country did nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,424,408 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly. With all the media hype and supposed government concern over this "pandemic" the closing of our southern borders would have been the first action taken by any other civilized nation on this planet. It is not wrong in any way to close your borders to travelers when they are the potential source of an unknown virus which has no vaccine. It's just common sense. Which would explain why the people who control this country did nothing of the sort.
Why should they be concerned. They have the best medical insurance and benefits in the country. Besides they still need to pander regardless of whats going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,818,681 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly. With all the media hype and supposed government concern over this "pandemic" the closing of our southern borders would have been the first action taken by any other civilized nation on this planet. It is not wrong in any way to close your borders to travelers when they are the potential source of an unknown virus which has no vaccine. It's just common sense. Which would explain why the people who control this country did nothing of the sort.
When the story first broke, there were aspects that I found very troubling. We knew we were dealing with a novel strain of virus; that coupled with the deaths of otherwise healthy people in the 20-40 age group was cause for concern. My initial reaction was close the border, at least until we had a better idea what was going on. We are lucky that the cases we have had in the US so far do not seem to be too severe (knock on wood), but what if we had not put any border or air travel restrictions in place and the flu had started killing hundreds of young people here? We can look back in retrospect and say that did not happen, but a week ago I am not at all certain that anyone could have said it wouldn't.
This is my opinion only, but after this I do not believe that our government will ever do anything to impede traffic from Mexico, irrespective of the threat to the health of US citizens. Keeping the Mexican gov., NCLR and Lulac happy is more important to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
 
235 posts, read 257,138 times
Reputation: 106
here's some advice just as a reminder.. if each one of the taxpayers in this country would send certified letters, faxes, emails, phone calls etc to our president and every single politician no matter if they democrats or republicans in our country to stop this nonsense on a regular daily basis or as often as you can, just maybe they would listen.. i signed a petition to have janet *the joker* napalitano to apologize to our military and she did.. the petition had thousands of names and in was an on line free petition and took me 30 seconds to do it.. i sign up for every single group i can that i can find that are against illegals and corrupt government spending.. i have compiled a list of politicians emails and put them all in 1 email folder and when i write a letter, i point and click on that folder and they all go at once.. it takes some time to do.. i put all the emails i can find for them into a word pad and keep adding to it.. then put in 1 folder..i also belong to a few good active groups that keep me informed on sessions.. i live in md and i testified against bills this session.. it helps and works.. but what amazes me is that annapolis should of been packed with american citizens to testify and it wasn't..We are a sanctuary state and our governor and corrupt politicians are aiding and abetting these criminal illegals who feast off of our tax dollars.. they are obtaining many welfare checks per month using phony id's and having anchor babies so our tax dollars can support their babies from birth through college.. the more babies, the more money they get.. they are paying homeowners up to $2000 per month for use of their address so they can get their checks mailed there.. they found one home getting in excess of 800 welfare checks in one month..so join every single organization or group you can find and send them letters. And of course go to tea parties.. the myth is that is for republicans which is a darn lie posted by the media..
its for taxpayers who are tired of our money being wasted..

illegals using phony id's to collect income tax
Illegal Immigrant Tax Probe Expanding-Phony SS#'s collect tax refunds

illegals using phony id's to collect other services
I-Team: Fake IDs Easy To Get For Immigrants - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/13784640/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top